nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband says that keeping flowers (cut flowers) in the bedroom will suck the oxygen out of the room.

The shoes in the house thing (but he doesn't wear shoes on our carpeting or in any American houses).

Evil eye and babies yea we went through that -but i told him not to worry because Americans don't know any of the "magic" tricks!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This isn't MENA but someone was asking about bringing in 'good luck' and I thought I would share some of my Scottish ancestry here in time for the New Year. We always practiced the tradition of the First Footer - which means that the first person to enter the house in the New Year needs to be a dark haired man carrying bread and money. So, my Dad who was the only dark haired man in a family of blondes was always kicked out of the house (VBG) a few minutes before midnight and then allowed back in after the New Year. This was to ensure that the Devil didn't come in first (dark haired men are under the Devil's radar, apparently) and the bread and coin meant that the household would enjoy enough food and prosperity during the coming year. We also brought bread and a coin with us wherever we visited on New Year's to bring them the gift of enough food and prosoperity through the coming year, too:-). Not really, an old wive's tale, but a cultural tradition:-).

I hope you don't mind me sharing this - I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I am fascinated by the various beliefs and old wives' tales many of us bring with us from our different cultures:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

My husband says that keeping flowers (cut flowers) in the bedroom will suck the oxygen out of the room.

The shoes in the house thing (but he doesn't wear shoes on our carpeting or in any American houses).

Evil eye and babies yea we went through that -but i told him not to worry because Americans don't know any of the "magic" tricks!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Another one: if someone's leg gives out and they fall, you will get better quicker if a woman who has had twins massages it. My SO's grandmother stumbled or something and hurt her knee or something, and had his mother rub it because my mother in law had twins.

I told my husband about the jinns and hot water thing, and he made the comment that there would have to be clean jinn and bad jinn, and the toilet must be like a bar for the bad ones.

BT

If I cause offense it is not on purpose, think about that before you take offense. If you feel offended, consider that maybe I'm not talking about you and maybe I accidentally stumbled onto a sore area and do not know. Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I didn't know wifes had tails?! This thread must be for those "older wives" lol! Ok ok ok!!! HA HA HA!!! LMAO!!! YOU KIDS ARE SOOO FUNNY! The quarky things are so much fun!

Vitamis no kidding! I took vitamins with me for hubby, and he said what is this?- I told him and even made sure he read the labels to make sure there was not jelatin in anything! He said "ok- when I feel bad, so I will take" I said --"NO you take every day and will not feel bad in the first place!" He just looked at me in disbelief, but he had taken them all by the time I got home, and wishes it didn't cost so much to ship more-- one challenge out of the way!

April 29, 2008-met Amin- the man of my dreams&love of my life! May 29,2008- flew to Jordan June 1, 2008-started the long CRAZY process of standing in line, waiting for stamps, and being sent from one office to another only to pay another fee and find another line! June 3,2008-The HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE! June 11, 2008- Returned home,started paperwork.June 30, 2008-Sent off I-130 pkt to Chicago.July 3, 2008-I-130 pkt received, fwd to CSC.August 4, 2008-NOA #1 August 11, 2008-Sent in I-129F pkt to CSC.August 18, 2008-NOA#2*APPROVED*September 4, 2008-NVC printed AOS instructions-(mailed Sept. 8) September 13, 2008-Rec'd AOS Bill in the mail.[/i] September 15, 2008-Used online payment option.-October 14, 2008-Sent off AOS packet with joint sponsor info.-rec'd@NVC Oct 15. October 30,2008-Got RFENovember 12, 2008-Priority to NVC,BIOGRAPH/Certs!Here we go![/b]November 19,2008RFE!#######!-overnite Nov 25-3 December, 2008-CASE COMPLETE NVC!INTERVIEW FEB 18TH-Approved!!!February 28,2009 HUBBY ARRIVED ON SATURDAY FEBRUARY 28TH, 2009---LIFE HAS JUST BEGUN!!!!ALHAMDULALLAH!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ohhhhhh my husband couldn't imagine I only was told to take a tylenol when i was sick the other day... hehehehe and to boot I had to go see a doctor cause i had a cough (who does that anyway???) but he demanded it and i figured the 10 dollar copay was cheaper then dealing with him if i said no.... so he asked me what they "gave me" i said nothing but to take tylenol... he was furious apparently the doctor was a bad one and i should see another... alas my cough is gone now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.