nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's freaking HILARIOUS, man!!!! LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

From the ex's family [they were sort of sweet when they weren't insanely crazy]:

Sleeping with socks on leads to blindness.

Sleeping with your stomach uncovered will cause diarrhea.

Evidently, you can do a lot of damage while sleeping...

In happy moments... PRAISE God.

In difficult moments... SEEK God.

In quiet moments... WORSHIP God.

In painful moments... TRUST God.

At every moment... THANK God.

If God brings you to it, HE will bring you through it.

God does not ALWAYS remove difficulties.

He uses them for our own good and His glory.

Our Timeline:

K-1 Interview------> May 19, 2009

Visa received------> July 20, 2009

US Entry-----------> July 27, 2009

Marriage-----------> July 30, 2009

AOS Filed-----------> October 16, 2009

Biometrics-----------> November 17, 2009

AP received-----------> December 12, 2009

AOS approved-----------> January 12, 2010

Greencard received-----------> January 23, 2010

I-751 Package sent-----------> November 28, 2011

Package received-----------> November 29, 2011

NOA-----------> November 29, 2011

Check cashed-----------> December 1, 2011

EL HAMDULLELAH! =oD

pvog3oc658.png

anmde68d690bf5c310d.gif

2ls6rf4.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

OH MY GOD.... YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! LoL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: My fiance is also an Egyptian (like your husband) & he ALWAYS tells me to cover my butt at night while I'm sleeping otherwise I'll have bad dreams. Apparently, ALL bad dreams are caused by me not covering my butt!!!!! LoL Aye, he's TOOOOOO CUTE!!!! :rofl: I laughed HARD when I read your post! GOD, I REALLY MISS HIM... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had to stop and read the title over again...:P

I thought it said: MENA Old Wives...:lol: I thought...wow, first we have the 20 somethings and now, if I'm married I'm an old wife...plz stop my heart can't take anymore! :devil:

Well, I think I have tons of stories on wives tales....that going out w/ wet hair will make me sick so in that case if i have a headache, backache, stomach ache...my MIL will say,.."its because you went out with wet hair!" :lol: Or not covering your booty at night is another...causes nightmares! So many other crazy things that make me laugh and of course I still listen...

All I can say is her teabags on my pink eye last year worked like a charm! :dance:

Edited by inGODShands

Our Timeline:

EL HAMDULLELAH! =oD

pvog3oc658.png

anmde68d690bf5c310d.gif

2ls6rf4.jpg

Timeline

DUDE.... YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THIS ONE!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: TOO FREAKING CUTE!!!! LMAO

Here's a funny one straight out of the mouth of my husband back in the day when his English wasn't so good.

"Honey, cover your chestes because it will make your orgasms cold!" Meaning that I will get a cold in my lungs..my organs.

Our Timeline:

EL HAMDULLELAH! =oD

pvog3oc658.png

anmde68d690bf5c310d.gif

2ls6rf4.jpg

Timeline

Girl, I'm a Latina too! LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: "Saca el huevo porque te matan de ojo, hija!!!" I swear that cracks me up EVERY FREAKIN' TIME! The dog thing is soooooooo true, except in my family you'll get a sty whether you watch it poop or pee! LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

here is one from our latin side of the family if u watch a dog poop u gonna get a sty in ur eye, oh and if u have head pain someone gave u evil eye hurry up get the egg to fix it lol
Edited by inGODShands

Our Timeline:

EL HAMDULLELAH! =oD

pvog3oc658.png

anmde68d690bf5c310d.gif

2ls6rf4.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
That's freaking HILARIOUS, man!!!! LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

From the ex's family [they were sort of sweet when they weren't insanely crazy]:

Speaking of sleeping ... add on to what Prophet did, sleep on his right side ... they also 'advise' sleeping on the right since sleeping on the left puts stress on your heart ... and eventually your organs will slide over LOL!

Also another add on to Hadith about taking different route home, then one you left on ... they say to confuse the Jinn ... as someone already mentioned for believers of an Almighty God, sure are scared of HIS creations LOL!

And about covering your butt while you sleep ... you should ... or you will intace (sp?) the incubus ... LOL!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
That's freaking HILARIOUS, man!!!! LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Speaking of sleeping ... add on to what Prophet did, sleep on his right side ... they also 'advise' sleeping on the right since sleeping on the left puts stress on your heart ... and eventually your organs will slide over LOL!

Also another add on to Hadith about taking different route home, then one you left on ... they say to confuse the Jinn ... as someone already mentioned for believers of an Almighty God, sure are scared of HIS creations LOL!

And about covering your butt while you sleep ... you should ... or you will intace (sp?) the incubus ... LOL!

is that why my husband says when he gets here he wants the right side of the bed??? :unsure:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We Latinos have a lot of "wives tales", but as we said.."grandma tales"...i remember my grandmother screaming us (my sister and I) when we wanted take a shower during our period time..or eating a food with lemon juice because it could stop our period and we will "retain" blood in our heads.... :wacko::blink::dead: ...LOL...

04/08/2008...Married

USCIS

07/15/2008...send I-130 form

01/20/2009...APPROVED...NOA2...wooohooo!! **NOA2 175 days after NOA1**

NVC

2009-01-27 : Case Number Assigned

2009-01-28 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-30 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-02-04 : IV Fee bill generated

2009-02-03 : Response from NVC to emailed DS-3032

2009-02-03 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2009-02-23 : AOS PAID (online)

2009-02-23 : IV bill PAID

2009-03-10 : AOS package sent to NVC

2009-03-10 : DS-230 sent to NVC

2009-03-25 : RFE in AOS package (NVC wants 2008 tax returns)

2009-03-27 : sent RFE to NVC

2009-03-31 : NVC got our package...***please, no more RFE***

2009-04-03 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-04-09 : Forward the case to Embassy

2009-05-04 : Medical

2009-05-12 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Perú ***VISA APPPROVED***

2009-05-14 : Visa in Hand

2009-06-05 : POE Newark, NJ...with my love

PETITION FOR STEP-DAUGHTER

USCIS

2009-07-03 : I-130 Form sent to Chicago LockBox

2009-07-09 : NOA1 Case is pending at CALIFORNIA CENTER...(I hope it goes faster than mine)

2009-09-20 : NOA2 APPROVAL

2009-10-01 : NVC Case number

2009-10-02 : DS-3032 emailed

2009-10-06 : got AOS Bill by mail

2009-10-10 : got IV Bill by email

2009-10-13 : AOS Bill PAID

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi! First time posting in this forum.

I just had to add the Moroccan superstition that you should not keep dogs in your house or angels will not enter.

I have never heard the superstition about not talking in the bathroom and apparently my husband hasn't either because I always hear him talking to himself in arabic while he's in the john!

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hi! First time posting in this forum.

I just had to add the Moroccan superstition that you should not keep dogs in your house or angels will not enter.

Welcome! Always glad to have another Berber Mama!!!

The belief that having a dog in your house will keep angels out isn't actually a "Moroccan superstition", it's a Hadith. (Tradition of the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him) It is not (in my opinion) a STRONG hadith because of the fact that there is a story in the Quran about people who feel into a long sleep (like Rip Van Winkle) in a cave and there were dogs AND angels with them in the cave...

But I think that about 90% of Muslims would say that angels and dogs shouldn't stay under one roof... And I know there is a hadith about the angel Gabriel refusing to enter Mohammed's house because a dog was present in the house... so like in many subjects you can find a hadith that supports your opinion... ;)

Keep Posting!! :)

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My family was big on destroying hair and nais. Everyday after grooming us, my mother and aunts would burn the hair left in the combs and brushes. They said it was to not give anyone the chance to use it make us go crazy.

Timeline

Welcome Berber Mama!

People when viewing a baby ... give the mother a bar of soap, so the baby can have a clean heart LOL!

Also they place various herbs like basil under the baby's head to warn off the Evil Eye.

Also they say clean your nose, else the Jinn will take residence there ... (seems the Jinn like thilth since they also live in the WC pipes.)

If you clumsy and trip alot, the angels are cursing you.

Sheep skin prevent acne and blemishes.

Urinate on your hands if you're clumsy.

If pregnant woman will see a snake, then she will lose her baby.

Urinate in front of your house to prevent the evil eye from creeping inside.

A twitchy eye means bad news is coming.

An itchy hand predicts money on the way.

If your right eyebrow itches, someone is singing your praises.

If your left eyebrow itches, someone's talking badly about you.

If you brush a girl's feet with a broom, she'll never get married.

It's better to go around someone sitting in your path. Stepping over him will stunt his growth.

Never eat food that's been sitting out overnight because mischievous nocturnal jinn probably have tampered with it.

Don't use a whistle in the house. (Why I donnow)

And this one ,,,, many seem to not obey. To guard against evil eye, be discreet. Be humble about your own success, hide the extent of your fortune, even present yourself in an unfavorable light.

Edited by Henia

Timeline

Damn it would not let me add more ... or even edit.

Bad luck if a black cat sneezes in your house.

A mysterious explanation for why it is bad luck to walk under a ladder, can be traced back to ancient Egypt. The early Egyptians believed that the shape of the Pyramids had a special power. It was considered very bad luck to break the 'power' of this shape and that's exactly what walking under a ladder would do!

If you don't cover your bald head it will start raining

If you shave your head on a Saturday, you will be in perpetual debt.

People during Eid Adha, dip their hands in sheep's blood and then imprint bloody palms all over the walls. Others drink the blood, believing it wards off the evil eye, while still others soak a white cape in as much blood as possible and wrap it around people thought to be possessed by demons. Some sprinkle salt along the edges of sewers where the blood is discharged or fill the sheep's mouth with salt, thinking this will expel evil spirits. Many women keep the sheep's gall bladder, believing it cures diseases.

And some men eat the testicles thinking it will them more 'powerful'.

Anyone ever to Fkih or have a of those talismans that have written on them in the lanuage of the Jinn? Anyone Lalla Aicha possession stories?LOL

And any of you Moroccan ladies know about the Sousi men and Jnoun? If not, I will be happy to share. LOL! Too bad Halloween is over LOLOLOL!

Edited by Henia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Welcome! Always glad to have another Berber Mama!!!

The belief that having a dog in your house will keep angels out isn't actually a "Moroccan superstition", it's a Hadith. (Tradition of the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him) It is not (in my opinion) a STRONG hadith because of the fact that there is a story in the Quran about people who feel into a long sleep (like Rip Van Winkle) in a cave and there were dogs AND angels with them in the cave...

But I think that about 90% of Muslims would say that angels and dogs shouldn't stay under one roof... And I know there is a hadith about the angel Gabriel refusing to enter Mohammed's house because a dog was present in the house... so like in many subjects you can find a hadith that supports your opinion... ;)

Keep Posting!! :)

Wow, I had no idea that was a hadith. Thanks for enlightening me. I learn something new everyday!

Thank you for the warm welcomes....

Henia, that is a pretty thorough list of old wives tales! My grandmother also still insists not to keep a cat in the house with a baby because cats "suck the life" out of them. Go figure! Wonder who thought these things up. Very interesting though.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Timeline

Any of you Moroccan ladies know the stories of the Sousi men and Jnoun? If not, I will be happy to share. Too bad Halloween is over LOLOLOL!

Any of you Moroccan ladies know the stories of the Sousi men and Jnoun? If not, I will be happy to share. Too bad Halloween is over LOLOLOL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.