Meriem_DZ

Women arrested for wearing Hijab in traffic court!

125 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Let's just remember that virtually every courthouse and almost every government building in the United States is on "orange alert" due to the potential for terrorist actions. The security staff are trained only to follow their orders. If removing a headpiece of any kind is requested by the authorities, we are expected to honor the request. The Patriot Act adopted after 9/11 took away many of our rights in favor of public safety. The prophet probably never envisioned a situation like this when the Muslim dress code was developed.

:wow:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Let's just remember that virtually every courthouse and almost every government building in the United States is on "orange alert" due to the potential for terrorist actions. The security staff are trained only to follow their orders. If removing a headpiece of any kind is requested by the authorities, we are expected to honor the request. The Patriot Act adopted after 9/11 took away many of our rights in favor of public safety. The prophet probably never envisioned a situation like this when the Muslim dress code was developed.

I work in a highly secured FEDERAL BUILDING... there is NO PROBLEM with wearing hijab in the building whatsoever. Not even if the code went to blistering RED would they require ANYONE to REMOVE their clothing, including the hijab!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Dressing head to toe was my mothers conviction not mine. I respected her authority and dressed like that bcz I lived in her home.

I also believe women can be modest whether in pants and shirts vs dresses and long skirts. True modesty also comes from within. I know what its like to see women look down on other women bcz they werent covered as they were...

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline
Dressing head to toe was my mothers conviction not mine. I respected her authority and dressed like that bcz I lived in her home.

I also believe women can be modest whether in pants and shirts vs dresses and long skirts. True modesty also comes from within. I know what its like to see women look down on other women bcz they werent covered as they were...

Since you believe that true modesty comes from within, why not go naked? The problem you mention with women looking down on other women bcz they weren't covered isn't an issue of modesty, it's an issue of being judgemental, which is forbidden for Muslims.

Is it possible your Mom wasn't a Muslim and still had a religious conviction that made her cover? Would you deny her the right to follow her religious conviction if she dared to enter a courthouse?

Timeline

An inside and outside both need to be one in modesty. Thats my point.

Judgemental is forbidden by muslims just like its forbidden by christians. I have seen alot more muslim women bickering with each other on here and where I live about how other muslim women should dress. I havent seen many christian women on here constantly bickering with other christian women about how modest they dress.

No, my mother is not muslim, she is christian. My biological mother was jewish.

I am not convinced that GOD has made covering the head a requirment for women either.

also, the reason why I stated the last thing in my previous post which was about how women look down on other women was not about modesty. it was about how I and others get judged by with people who may cover more than we do. So it goes both ways.

Edited by TamaraLovesAdam
10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

I work in a highly secured FEDERAL BUILDING... there is NO PROBLEM with wearing hijab in the building whatsoever. Not even if the code went to blistering RED would they require ANYONE to REMOVE their clothing, including the hijab!

I don't think anyone should sacrifice their rights to appease a bigot. I think it will be found unconstitutional to require a person with a religious conviction to break that conviction to enter a public building.

Ben Franklin wrote: "people willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both".

I don't think anyone should believe this country will ever be totally safe, even if we get rid of all the pesky women insisting on covering their hair... Timothy McVey probably never wore a beard or hijab...

Jewish women and cancer patients wear wigs... which change their appearance and cover their natural hair, or head if they don't have any hair... should we require them to remove their wigs?

As an aside, Muslims don't believe that Mohammed, pbuh, created a dress code. Modesty for Muslims (men and women) is a commandment from God, swt. And this commandment, and headcovering for women FAR predate Islam. And they will long outlast the discriminatory actions of small town minyons in Georgia.

AllahuAkbar

Timeline

I go to the state and federal court houses at least weekly here in the Twin Cities, and sit in on court cases a few times a month. Security has never had a problem with my hijab. It's BS to deny someone entry for that reason. IF it's really a security threat, have a female officer ask her to remove it in the bathroom so they can check for any weapons :rolleyes:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You have an ID that enables you to bypass some of the security precautions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think you are all forgetting there was a courthouse shooting here in GA not too long ago as well. Not saying that is an excuse for what happened, but I think security in GA courtrooms is more elevated than others nationally because of that incident.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline

Last time I checked, it wasn't a woman in hijab who shot people. If they're worried about security, again, take her to the bathroom and have a female officer look under her scarf. I always suggest that to the airport security people, although they usually just wand me. I've never had the court security people give a second glance at my scarf.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I never said it was, I'm just pointing out that the security in GA courtrooms is much higher than in other areas right now. I too agree they could have handle things better, but everyone arguing about the shoulda coulda woulda's on here is not going to change a thing.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline

Hightened security is a BS argument when people's liberties are being quashed. Not to mention the fact that hijabis seem to have no problem getting into court rooms in Atlanta, where the shootings actually happened, according to my hijabi contacts in Atlanta.

And while it may not change it to discuss it here (much like almost every conversation on the internet), it is important to discuss the possibilities of what can happen, so that we're prepared and know our rights in case anything like this actually happens to us.

irhal.jpg

Orange altert be damned. That is not an excuse. This case, and I am a southerner, and yes my wife wears a hijab, is that a corn-pone southern hick-abilly ex-football playing underpaid court officer saw a chance to be a racist jerk and took it. Wearing a hijab is a federally protected right, just as important as the right for a hick-abilly to get drunk at the hunting camp and shoot up the woods all weekend (just a different line in the constitution, mano). Do we have and live by the constitution or not? Because if not, America and everything America ever stood for is dead anyway.

I hope they get sued and brought in line, but not because I think this woman has the right to curse at a court officer. It's because if the right to practice religion, not just the "currently popular" religions, is not protected, the "alert system" can be applied to any religious or any other group that stands for anything a group of government officials happens to believe in. Remember the abortion clinic bombings? Do we want every church group who thinks abortion is wrong to be persecuted and under government scrutiny? Do we want every law-abiding gun owner to be persecuted and under scrutiny every time some dumb moron takes the wrong shot at the wrong person? Courthouses, government buildings, airports, industrial facilities, are all under alert and yet somehow manage to maintain security while being used every day by people of every religion without forcing people to violate their religious beliefs. I do not believe that government officials in hicksville, georgia should be allowed the power to decide whether or not they are going to respect religious freedom in their shi**y little town.

i don't get it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
a corn-pone southern hick-abilly ex-football playing underpaid court officer saw a chance to be a racist jerk and took it.

i've yet to see any evidence that indicates any of that in bold is true.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Muslims should avoid insulting people, lest provoke them to insult those beloved to us:

The Prophet (saws) said: “One of the major sins is a man insulting his parents.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, do people really insult their parents?” He said, “Yes, a man insults another man’s father so he insults his father, or he insults another man's mother so he insults his mother.” (Bukhari)

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.