Meriem_DZ

Women arrested for wearing Hijab in traffic court!

125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

This story makes me angry! :angry: I hope they do file a lawsuit and win!

link to story

Muslim Arrested Over Head Scarf In Courtroom

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 – updated: 10:04 am EST December 17, 2008

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- A head scarf landed a Muslim woman in jail Tuesday after she refused to remove it during a hearing at the Douglasville Municipal Court.

Lisa Valentine, also known by her Islamic name, Miedah, 40, was arrested for 'violating a court policy of no headgear', Chris Womack, deputy chief of operations for the Douglasville Police Department said on Wednesday.

Valentine was in court with a nephew who was facing a traffic citation. She was wearing a hijab, the head covering worn by Muslim women.

When she refused to remove it she was handcuffed and taken to Judge Keith Rollins' chambers. He cited her for contempt and ordered her held in jail for 10 days.

Omar Hall, Valentine's husband, said she had been released late Tuesday.

"I can't believe someone would do this in America," Hall said, adding the couple plans to file a lawsuit.

Many Muslim women cover their heads, following an Islamic custom. The practice has created conflict and headlines in courtrooms and schools across the country.

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I hope they file a lawsuit too!!!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Methinks the town of Douglasville is going to get a visit from CAIR.

Thank God I live in Minnesota! People can wear their baseball caps on their drivers license, so we have no problem wearing hijab here.

Of course, we freeze our behinds of 6 months out of the year, but that's the price we pay for freedom.

Ah, lovely comments on the story:

Is she a citizen of our country? Should NON citizens have the right to religious freedom? I don't think they should. You come into my country, you obey the laws & you learn to speak english.

:bonk:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Thank God I live in Minnesota! People can wear their baseball caps on their drivers license, so we have no problem wearing hijab here.

Of course, we freeze our behinds of 6 months out of the year, but that's the price we pay for freedom.

Is she a citizen of our country? Should NON citizens have the right to religious freedom? I don't think they should. You come into my country, you obey the laws & you learn to speak english.

*snarl*!!! that quote just irkdd me offfff...MUSLIM DOESN'T MEAN NON-AMERICAN!!!!! *growl*

...anyway, back at the ranch................

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was told once that dupatta was not prof. not a part of dress code yada. Well it is @ the University hospitals hmm. was wearing it during Ramadan. One of local redneck family complained. So i told them ohh you gonna let them harass me by proxy. Why this email only come to me and not others. THen the email about religous right to wear came out. Once again another instance where there are places in america not so tolerant..Judges should check the codes b4 they make thier decisions. Last time I checked personal preferences/opinions are against legal ethics codes. Toss him off the bench I say.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

That was the first thought that came to my mind when I read the story, CAIR will be all over this!

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
ADC and CAIR...unbelievable!

But I have to say...its Georgia...I have had some family that has had horrible experiences down south unfortunately. :( (Sorry to insult anyone from the grand ole south however, ur most likely the minority if you are open minded)... :blink:

It's just these kinds of broad generalizations that cause this kind of trouble Nawal.

Your babies are adorable btw.

As for the woman, she either should have removed her head gear or left the court room, no reason to arrest her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

hicks!

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

But I have to say...its Georgia...I have had some family that has had horrible experiences down south unfortunately. :( (Sorry to insult anyone from the grand ole south however, ur most likely the minority if you are open minded)... :blink:

It's just these kinds of broad generalizations that cause this kind of trouble Nawal.

As for the woman, she either should have removed her head gear or left the court room, no reason to arrest her.

Thanks (F)

Just my experience (I attended University in NC and current family living in Georgia who are Muslim). Many issues with understanding other cultures. But you're right...broad generalizations will get ya in trouble...thats why I said sorry first! Just my experience. :D

As for removing her hijab...its for religious reasons she's wearing it. Why should she have to? I don't agree there. Would they ask a nun to do that? Things that make you go Hmmmm....

Edited by Nawal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks (F)

Just my experience (I attended University in NC and current family living in Georgia who are Muslim). Many issues with understanding other cultures. But you're right...broad generalizations will get ya in trouble...thats why I said sorry first! Just my experience. :D

As for removing her hijab...its for religious reasons she's wearing it. Why should she have to? I don't agree there. Would they ask a nun to do that? Things that make you go Hmmmm....

Yeah - I think we don't have the whole story here. She was held in contempt for not removing her hijab, we don't know if she was given the option of just leaving - which of course she should have been. Not sure about the nun scenario, interesting question, one would hope they would be asked to remove their head gear as well.

This story is lacking in facts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Looks like CAIR is already all over this.

As for removing it, there is plenty of legal precedence that allows for religious exceptions to certain rules. For example, states often will not allow people to cover their heads for driver's license photos. However, most, if not all (there used to be a document floating around with all the rules, but I can't find it right now) make exceptions for people who cover their heads for religious reasons. That would include sikh and jewish men, christian women who cover and hijabis.

And from what I hear from hijabi peeps in Georgia, they've had no problem entering court rooms hijab and all. So this town is going to have a hard time upholding this ban.

I think I'll send my Great Aunt Sister McTild down to Georgia and see if they demand she remove her habit. I wouldn't want to cross her, she's one fiesty nun :devil:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Welcome to the south.....

This is just crazy.

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

One doesnt have to remove for passport pictures,all judges/ countie should follow DHS codes and protocols. hmmph

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.