Meriem_DZ

Women arrested for wearing Hijab in traffic court!

125 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Why didn't they just pat down her head if they were worried about weapons and security? They should have treated it as any other piece of clothing. To say that it was a security issue is ridiculous. If that's truly the case, they should have people come to court naked!

She cursed, big deal. She's not the first, nor the last!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
hmm seems as though if shes more worried about outward modesty than what comes outta her mouth. Cursing is what got her arrested it seems. She could have explained her situation to the judge instead of cursing them out.

It doesnt matter how modest you dress on the outside, if you dont have good words coming out of your mouth then it doesnt mean a thing.

I totally agree Tamara!! :thumbs:

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
hmm seems as though if shes more worried about outward modesty than what comes outta her mouth. Cursing is what got her arrested it seems. She could have explained her situation to the judge instead of cursing them out.

It doesnt matter how modest you dress on the outside, if you dont have good words coming out of your mouth then it doesnt mean a thing.

QFT

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

QFT

:thumbs:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

well she should not have sworn but when i read that it stated that she was taken to jail where she was forced to remove her hijab. seems like she was arrested and forced to remove something that she refused to remove for court could it be she was arrested so that they could prove that they could force her to remove the hijab?

im just not comfortable with all of this, her bad words are not good but being forced to remove hijab is really bad

sara

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
well she should not have sworn but when i read that it stated that she was taken to jail where she was forced to remove her hijab. seems like she was arrested and forced to remove something that she refused to remove for court could it be she was arrested so that they could prove that they could force her to remove the hijab?

im just not comfortable with all of this, her bad words are not good but being forced to remove hijab is really bad

sara

I don't think people realize that for most Muslim women wearing hijab, asking them to take it off, is the same as asking any other woman to take off her shirt and show her breasts. It's humiliating, demeaning, and traumatic to the Muslim woman who is put in that position. As a very close friend of mine said, "I would feel naked without my hijab."

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just can't see how they would have arrested her for no reason. She had to have been nasty and put up a fight. It wasn't just, "Hey ma'am take off that scarf from your head!"

Her: "No, its my religious beliefs. I would feel naked without it!"

Him: "Fine! You're arrested then!"

:girlwerewolf2xn:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

sara

I don't think people realize that for most Muslim women wearing hijab, asking them to take it off, is the same as asking any other woman to take off her shirt and show her breasts. It's humiliating, demeaning, and traumatic to the Muslim woman who is put in that position. As a very close friend of mine said, "I would feel naked without my hijab."

i have worn hijab by choice for so long i also feel naked with out mine so i guess thats why this story kind of gets to me.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

So you are discriminated against and harassed on the basis of your religion (and from the photo of the woman in this case, probably her race, and the baliff's perception of her national origin as well.... a regular discrimination TRIFECTA!) and you lose your temper, sounds reasonable to me...... OK she's not a SAINT! It hasn't been easy to be a black woman in Georgia EVER! OH wait that makes 4 probable reasons for the discrimination and harassment... FEMALE, MUSLIM, BLACK, and Possibly the perception that she was of Non-US Origin..

She turns to leave after being denied entrance into a PUBLIC PLACE ON THE BASIS OF HER RELIGIOUS BELIEF and muttered a bad word and the baliff handcuffed her and took her before the judge and she's sentenced to 10 days in jail?????? For CONTEMPT????

Heck yeah, I've got CONTEMPT too... for that baliff, that judge and a town that would let them do this for the 2nd time in a matter of weeks! Just last week 2 Muslim women were expelled from a courtroom for wearing a SCARF on their heads!!!

It appears that the problem is a discriminatory and harassing atomesphere in a court house in Georgia... but some would like to blame the victims.

How is it that people are so willing to always find a reason to blame the victim? I find it pretty incredible when it happens in this forum...

For those of you who don't wear hijab try to imagine dealing with insults, harassment, threats, and disdain day in and day out and then ask yourself if you wouldn't at some point lose your patience and say something you probably wouldn't say if your mouth was full of it under NORMAL circumstances.. and then judge this woman. Walk a mile in her hijab before you judge her!

Nothing in any of the reports indicates she did ANYTHING other than mutter an expletive as she turned to leave the courthouse.

The fact that she said momentarily had a "potty mouth" does not invalidate her efforts to be modest and follow her faith's teachings on dress. And it in no ways is PROOF of her lack of character as some has implied.

She's expected to have "tolerance" of discrimination and harassment, but the PUBLIC COURTHOUSE isn't expected to have tolerance for a member of the public who doesn't conform to THEIR idea of what she should wear???? This is bassackwards.

Isn't Georgia the place "where the lights went out"?

Thankful to live in the FROZEN SOLID Northwest...

Timeline
So you are discriminated against and harassed on the basis of your religion (and from the photo of the woman in this case, probably her race, and the baliff's perception of her national origin as well.... a regular discrimination TRIFECTA!) and you lose your temper, sounds reasonable to me...... OK she's not a SAINT! It hasn't been easy to be a black woman in Georgia EVER! OH wait that makes 4 probable reasons for the discrimination and harassment... FEMALE, MUSLIM, BLACK, and Possibly the perception that she was of Non-US Origin..

She turns to leave after being denied entrance into a PUBLIC PLACE ON THE BASIS OF HER RELIGIOUS BELIEF and muttered a bad word and the baliff handcuffed her and took her before the judge and she's sentenced to 10 days in jail?????? For CONTEMPT????

Heck yeah, I've got CONTEMPT too... for that baliff, that judge and a town that would let them do this for the 2nd time in a matter of weeks! Just last week 2 Muslim women were expelled from a courtroom for wearing a SCARF on their heads!!!

It appears that the problem is a discriminatory and harassing atomesphere in a court house in Georgia... but some would like to blame the victims.

How is it that people are so willing to always find a reason to blame the victim? I find it pretty incredible when it happens in this forum...

For those of you who don't wear hijab try to imagine dealing with insults, harassment, threats, and disdain day in and day out and then ask yourself if you wouldn't at some point lose your patience and say something you probably wouldn't say if your mouth was full of it under NORMAL circumstances.. and then judge this woman. Walk a mile in her hijab before you judge her!

Nothing in any of the reports indicates she did ANYTHING other than mutter an expletive as she turned to leave the courthouse.

The fact that she said momentarily had a "potty mouth" does not invalidate her efforts to be modest and follow her faith's teachings on dress. And it in no ways is PROOF of her lack of character as some has implied.

She's expected to have "tolerance" of discrimination and harassment, but the PUBLIC COURTHOUSE isn't expected to have tolerance for a member of the public who doesn't conform to THEIR idea of what she should wear???? This is bassackwards.

Isn't Georgia the place "where the lights went out"?

Thankful to live in the FROZEN SOLID Northwest...

Thank you......couldn't ve said it better.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

That's exactly what I've learned living in the ME. The hypocrites here seem to think that wearing a headscarf excuses the most foul behavior and speech imaginable. And using foul language would get you arrested and fined in the ME as well. I hope she gets a huge fine for her stupidity, arrogance and hypocrisy.

Timeline

right! so when a woman decides she wants to wear hijab she has to forget that shes a human being with mistakes and short comings and even tho she will try her best; sometimes hard situation will get the best of her.... but no she cant make mistakes like anyone else does!! NO THANK YOU! theres a difference between someone who is really bad as a person and wants to wear hijab thinking that will hide it and a person who is sincerely trying and is doing her best as a muslim and NO U DONT GET TO TELL US WHICH ONE SHE IS becoz u dont know ... no one knows and no one was there for the truth.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
right! so when a woman decides she wants to wear hijab she has to forget that shes a human being with mistakes and short comings and even tho she will try her best; sometimes hard situation will get the best of her.... but no she cant make mistakes like anyone else does!! NO THANK YOU! theres a difference between someone who is really bad as a person and wants to wear hijab thinking that will hide it and a person who is sincerely trying and is doing her best as a muslim and NO U DONT GET TO TELL US WHICH ONE SHE IS becoz u dont know ... no one knows and no one was there for the truth.

Exactly! Hijab is our actions as well as our clothes, but hijabis are human beings, and sometimes human beings let slip a foul word or 2.

If she was arrested for her language, then so be it. But she shouldn't have been barred from the court room in the first place. That's not hypocracy, that's the american way.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Exactly! Hijab is our actions as well as our clothes, but hijabis are human beings, and sometimes human beings let slip a foul word or 2.

If she was arrested for her language, then so be it. But she shouldn't have been barred from the court room in the first place. That's not hypocracy, that's the american way.

Timeline

but didnt the article state she was arrested for not removing her hijab so was arrested for contempt of court i can only image in they didnt allow her in and then took her before the judge for the bad word he must of demanded she remove her hijab when she was standing before him other wise how could i state she refused to remove the hijab when she didnt make it past the bailiff to begin with?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.