Meriem_DZ

Women arrested for wearing Hijab in traffic court!

125 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
ADC and CAIR...unbelievable!

But I have to say...its Georgia...I have had some family that has had horrible experiences down south unfortunately. :( (Sorry to insult anyone from the grand ole south however, ur most likely the minority if you are open minded)... :blink:

It's just these kinds of broad generalizations that cause this kind of trouble Nawal.

Your babies are adorable btw.

As for the woman, she either should have removed her head gear or left the court room, no reason to arrest her.

Thanks (F)

Just my experience (I attended University in NC and current family living in Georgia who are Muslim). Many issues with understanding other cultures. But you're right...broad generalizations will get ya in trouble...thats why I said sorry first! Just my experience. :D

As for removing her hijab...its for religious reasons she's wearing it. Why should she have to? I don't agree there. Would they ask a nun to do that? Things that make you go Hmmmm....

Yeah - I think we don't have the whole story here. She was held in contempt for not removing her hijab, we don't know if she was given the option of just leaving - which of course she should have been. Not sure about the nun scenario, interesting question, one would hope they would be asked to remove their head gear as well.

This story is lacking in facts.

Why should she have to leave? So her nephew, the reason she was there, isn't able to get help from his aunt if she abides by her religion? No way.

And why would one hope for a nun of all people to remove their head gear?

What happened to segregation of church and state? Now the state is able to mandate to what extent you can practice your religion? OMG I"m fuming

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry, but I have to say I do not think this is a Georgia (statewide) thing, it's a local issue. I live in Atlanta, where there are tons of Muslims and I have never heard of anyone having issues wearing hijab in court.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Timeline
Sorry, but I have to say I do not think this is a Georgia (statewide) thing, it's a local issue. I live in Atlanta, where there are tons of Muslims and I have never heard of anyone having issues wearing hijab in court.

Carrie, I didn't mean its a statewide Georgia thing...I hope I clarified that. It's by only personal experience and mostly SMALL towns. That doesn't mean that other areas of the US don't experience that as well. I did apologize...but its my opinion and experience. (F)

Timeline

No offense taken. While I agree with everyone that this is an outrageous event, I just wanted to point out that just because this unfortunate thing happened doesn't mean all of GA are redneck bigots.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hehe, these comments are great!

jemrik commented 18 minutes ago Women wear the hijab not becuase of religous requirements but family tradition or social pressure. Only two countires (Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan) require and inforce the hijab. Also I totally agree it is for safety reasons that this must be removed in a cirmumstance such as a courtroom. Women flying into islamic countries must remove it in passport control... again...for security reasons.

Where do people get these facts? No religious requirement? Sure, there's a debate (although it's relatively small and I'd venture to say that 99 time out of 100, the religious sources say covering the head is required for women), but how does this person get that it's through family tradition or social pressure?

And what muslim countries require one to remove the hijab? Certainly none I've ever heard of or flown through.

On a tangent, I'm currently reading James Michener's Chesapeke, in which a family of Quakers are central characters. They have a tradition of men not removing their hats, even in a court room. I wonder what the case law says re: Quaker hats. People act like this is an affront to the very bedrock of America, but in reality, americans have worn hats indoors and not taken them off since before the founding of our nation.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

No offense taken. While I agree with everyone that this is an outrageous event, I just wanted to point out that just because this unfortunate thing happened doesn't mean all of GA are redneck bigots.

OMG...NO WAY would I mean that... :blush: My family lives, works and loves the south! If I meant that..I'd have to include them. Never (F)

Just experiences in smaller towns (though I could add many other small cities across the US there as well) has been less than positive.

Oh and thanks about the pics. His cheeks do look like Zain's. Those twins are just too cute!

Thanks! What color are his eyes? Zain's are changing...they looked bright blue till about 1 month ago...now I see a hint of green/gray. I'm thinking he may have hazel eyes.

Timeline

Yea small towns are like walking back in time, it's crazy.

Ayman is my mini-me. :lol: His eyes are a blue grey just like mine. He's gonna be another blue eyed blondie, and probably a lefty too. :devil:

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Yea small towns are like walking back in time, it's crazy.

Ayman is my mini-me. :lol: His eyes are a blue grey just like mine. He's gonna be another blue eyed blondie, and probably a lefty too. :devil:

:devil:

I think both the twins are lefties! :P Of course my hubby thinks he can correct it ... I'm a lefty myself. And Zain is my mini-me and Nour is my hubbies! Funny how that goes!

Timeline
Yeah - I think we don't have the whole story here. She was held in contempt for not removing her hijab, we don't know if she was given the option of just leaving - which of course she should have been. Not sure about the nun scenario, interesting question, one would hope they would be asked to remove their head gear as well.

This story is lacking in facts.

You don't have all the facts: Frustrated, she turned to leave and uttered an expletive. She said the bailiff then told her she could take the matter up in front of the judge. She said she was handcuffed and taken into Rollins’ courtroom.

So she was arrested for telling the bailiff to fsck off, not because of her hijab. Of course CAIR will milk this regardless for as much indignation as they can...

Linky

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

CAIR mentions the swearing in their press release.

According to the woman’s husband, she was seeking to enter the courtroom in Douglasville, Ga., to deal with a matter related to a nephew’s traffic citation. After she walked through the security area, a bailiff allegedly told her she would not be permitted to enter the courtroom wearing her religiously-mandated scarf. Frustrated at being prevented from entering the court, the woman reportedly uttered an expletive and sought to leave the area. As she attempted to leave, the bailiff reportedly handcuffed her and took her to the judge’s chambers where she was sentenced to 10 days in jail for “contempt.”

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

hmm seems as though if shes more worried about outward modesty than what comes outta her mouth. Cursing is what got her arrested it seems. She could have explained her situation to the judge instead of cursing them out.

It doesnt matter how modest you dress on the outside, if you dont have good words coming out of your mouth then it doesnt mean a thing.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline
hmm seems as though if shes more worried about outward modesty than what comes outta her mouth. Cursing is what got her arrested it seems. She could have explained her situation to the judge instead of cursing them out.

It doesnt matter how modest you dress on the outside, if you dont have good words coming out of your mouth then it doesnt mean a thing.

ITA with that opinion!

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.