Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

I met my SO while he was working in my community as the lifeguard ..The day we met i was doing laundry and i kept walking past the pool i struck up a conversation with him. I wanted to learn as much about him as i could as the summer progressed we got closer and closer ... He was always hanging at my house and i was always at the pool. as the end of his time and in Virginia came to a end i was feeling terrible cause i knew i would miss him sooo much . He returned to Maryland to finish out the season as the pools in VA were closed... I knew i was in love when i drove 4 hrs to see him for a short period of time . We talked on the phone everyday... Then he returned to Jamaica my heart was broken. At first we didn't get to talk much but as time went on we started talking more and more ofter not even caring that my phone phone bill was high... then in November he asked me to be his wife with the approval of my daughter and my parents... wich of course my kids and parents love him ... now here we are going through this whole K1 process.

Welcome to VJ!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I basically have my story of how we met in my sig/story but to wrap it up I met him at Pier One the last day before my vacation was to be over. What's funny about my SO is that he is everything I’m not attracted to. He's darker than I like, shorter than I like and thinner than I like. See I'm a fluffy gyal so mi like mi men a likkle big so dat when we walk done the street I don’t look bigger than what I am but something about him has grabbed my heart and it wont let go...

... I also did something I have never done before right before I was about to leave I leaned in and kissed him. It was something bout his lips I just had to touch them because they looked so soft and sweet. I shocked us both!

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

I also didn't have immediate physical attraction to my SO. I generally like my men dark, tall, and thick (for the same reason you stated above). Steven's height is fine, but he's SOOOO thin and he's bright skinned. Good thing we didn't go with just what our eyes could see. This man is THE most beautiful man on the inside. And he cleans up nicely on the outside, too!

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I enjoyed reading all of your stories. It's long past due that I add mine. I met my SO in Oct. of 2007. I went to Jamaica with my family for vacation. I was not looking to meet anyone, but boy did I meet an amazing guy! My SO is an entertainer at a hotel in Mobay. We were staying at the hotel he works at and the last night I was there I was walking out of the club because I had an early flight the next morning. He tapped me on my shoulder as I was walking out the door and he asked me where I was going and why so early. I explained that I had an early flight and he said "well can you stay for one more song? I haven't gotten to dance with you yet." I thought why not and as we were dancing we were talking. He asked me if I would hang out with him after he got off from work an hour later. There was something about that first dance that I had to know more about him. He ended up leaving work early and we hung out for a few hours and got to know each other. I felt a connection with him that I had never felt with another guy. I left the next morning and we talked alot (which at first i didn't think would be possible because I thought it would be too expensive). I was very skeptical and really stayed guarded for a long time (really I think I just recently fully let my guard down). I was thinking he's an entertainer at a hotel and how many girls like me must he have? I decided to go back in February and see how we were face to face for a few days, as things on the phone were good. My family actually went back with me as I still wasn't sure about him. He actually took a day off of work and spent it with my family so that was my first clue that he was seriously interested in me. When it came time to leave I was crying, which is crazy because I'm not a cryer. It still took me some time to trust him as I mentioned, but I kept going back and he's shown what a great guy he truly is. What I think really put both of us over is when I had planned to visit him for his birthday the following October and his work sent him to train at a few other hotels so I couldn't go. My first thought was forget the job and come live with me. That was the first time that I actually thought 100% without a doubt I want this man to come live with me. Before that I thought about it, but was scared to actually start this process. He must have felt the same way because when I went in November he asked me to marry him. Once it was decided I wanted him with me for good that second. I was kicking myself for not starting this process sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi everyone. I love to tell my story because I believe that my husband and I were really destined to be. It might not be as entertaining as most and I have to give you a little background first so grab the popcorn, here goes:

I came to the US on one of my annual visits in 2004 to see my first-born ( I have two sons); he lived in Florida and I truly wasn't sure when it was that I would see him again. You see, I was diagnosed with cancer in July 2004 and I didn't have a clue as to how to pay for the treatment so I took my two week vaction which I usually take in August to spend with him and celebrate his birthday. My family was all I could think about and how my diagnosis would affect them. We made it into a reunion and my sisters and their children came to Florida and all bundled up in my eldest sister's apartment. Eleven of us in a two bedroom, woyee.

Now the cost of the treatment was $850,000 and I had no money to take care of that so I decided to use that month's salary and pay for the trip. After the visit I returned to Jamaica and when I went to see the doctor she recommended that I return to the US and get into a hospital through the ER and there they will work out a payment plan.

Fast-forward to June 2005. A year passed and I had not received any treatment as I decided to build my immune system first. I had to return to the hospital for blood transfusion and the doctors told me that my prognosis wasn't good; they said that I am going to die because I delayed treatment and the cancer had spread. They told me to get on a flight within the week and as I get off the plane I am to go directly to the hospital and do not even think about going to anyone's home. Being a Christian and seriously hearing from the Lord I held on to everything that he told me and asked for three days grace period when I arrived in the US which he gave mebecause on the third day I had to call 911 because I was seriously ill (too graphic to write) and I was rushed to the hospital. I was admitted and spent thirteen days where I was given ten bags of blood in total and taken for radiation treatment at another hospital. The Oncolgy department at the hospital opened just for me on a Saturday because the doctor was moved with compassion. Doctors gave orders that if I needed them they were to be contacted without hesitation and the staff knew that. When I was released I had to return once a week for chemo and every day to the radiation department of another hospital for radiation.

Now what good can come out of this you might ask and where is the love story but here goes:

One day as I sat in the Oncology waiting room talking to another cancer patient I glanced across the room to see a man locked into a stare at my profile. I heard myself asking why is this man looking at me like that and turned away to continue my conversation but I could see him from the corner of my eye and the man would not take his eyes off me..even when I looked two more times :yes: . He just sat staring like a cartoon character. I could mentally see his mouth hitting the floor and wondering what is it that this man is seeing in me because I had lost so much weight but funny enough I was feeling quite cute and petite, lol. I was wearing teenager's clothing and was feeling rather hip with my old self, :rofl: woyee mi belly. Anyway, we didnt say anything to each other but nodded and that was that.

The following week I had my chemo treatment again whcih made me late for radiation and there he was..still staring. This time I started arguing with God about the connection I felt from this man's stare and I didnt find it funny. I was in no mood for a relationship and I wasn't interested and this man was giving me the "gosh you are wonderful" look. I smiled but inside I was cussing (not bad words). The next week as the radiologist called the names of the patients that need to get in their gowns for radiation, she called our names together and she said "Coy, Clay'. Now if you look at my name you will see that I am now Coy-Clay, isn't that cute? Anyway the more I see him the more familiar he looked and he was wearing scrubs so as we sat in the inner waiting area one of the staff came to me and was commenting on how I looked too young to have an 18 yr old son as my son had visited from Florida to spend his birthday with me because I could not be there to spend it with him. Well Clay as I knew his name to be then heard what she said and asked me if I had an 18 yr old to which I responded "an eighteen and an eight. I told him that he looked familiar and the conversation started. I found out that, as destiny would have it, he worked at the hospital that I was admitted AND he worked on the very ward I was admitted on(true true). The only thing is that he was out sick as he too had an operation due to the cancer and was just returning to work. There was a lady that was so good to me when I could not eat the hospital food and she went home and cooked pumpkin soup for me and I wanted to thank her so he gave me the straight-line to reach her. he then asked the people at the hospital what kind of patient I was because you have very gumpy patients and they told him how i would wave to them every day that the EMS came to take me to radiation and when I return I would sing " I'm back guys", they told him that even when I didn't eat and couldn't walk I was still chirpy. This must have turned him on (L):yes: as he fell in love with sweet lovable me. I need to get over myself right?

Two week later I was told that I was going to receive two operations to complete my radiation and that would be the end of all my treatment. By then we were friends and I gave him my number. He called and invited me out to dinner to celebrate the end of my treatment but I didn't want to go because I really did not know him all that well as yet. He wasn't pushy but insisted sweetly to take me home after I came out from surgery as he had a mini-van. I said okay and sure enough he came after his treatment. The following week I had another surgery and embarrassment upon embarrassment they lost my underwear ( dont laugh). When he came to see me he overheard the nurse telling me that they cannot find my underwear and he volunteered to go and purchase one for me. Luckily I wore a size 5 then and he went and came back with a bingo :rofl:

Two weeks later I had to return to see the doctor and he invited me to dinner, this time I went with him because in talking I realised that we had so many things in common. That began our dating and we went out for many more dinners and spent almost every day together. As we got to know each other we knew in our hearts that we were meant to be. We were ending each other's sentences from the first date and he was so patient with me when I could hardly walk after chemo and radiation and had to be peeing every 20 minutes :wacko: .

We got married one year eight months later and this Friday, April 17 will be our second wedding anniversary (F)(L):dance: . God has really placed us together because one year four months ago the cancer returned and spread in his body. That is the reason we didn't file earlier because I was concentrating on his health. Being through it myself I was the ideal person to understand everything that he was going through and gave him the love and support he needed. The doctor thought he would die in December of last year but I encouraged him and prayed. Now he is doing much better and the doctor is amazed that the cancer has significantly decreased even after they reduced the dosage.

What is fi yuh cannot be un-fi-yuh as the Jamaican saying goes. So hold tight VJer's and love respect and treat your spouse well. Mi gone........

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

KayCee - You know your story always moves me. And it usually comes at a time when I'm focusing on things that I don't have. But I have to give God the Glory and be thankful for what I have. You are truly blessed.

What are bingos? underwear?

KK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
KayCee - You know your story always moves me. And it usually comes at a time when I'm focusing on things that I don't have. But I have to give God the Glory and be thankful for what I have. You are truly blessed.

What are bingos? underwear?

KK

KK you never heard of bingo baggy? they are not the cute panties they are some big baggy, yes underwear but like old women ones lol.

Be encouraged life on earth is shorter than we think

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That story was so beautiful! :crying:

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi everyone. I love to tell my story because I believe that my husband and I were really destined to be. It might not be as entertaining as most and I have to give you a little background first so grab the popcorn, here goes:

I came to the US on one of my annual visits in 2004 to see my first-born ( I have two sons); he lived in Florida and I truly wasn't sure when it was that I would see him again. You see, I was diagnosed with cancer in July 2004 and I didn't have a clue as to how to pay for the treatment so I took my two week vaction which I usually take in August to spend with him and celebrate his birthday. My family was all I could think about and how my diagnosis would affect them. We made it into a reunion and my sisters and their children came to Florida and all bundled up in my eldest sister's apartment. Eleven of us in a two bedroom, woyee.

Now the cost of the treatment was $850,000 and I had no money to take care of that so I decided to use that month's salary and pay for the trip. After the visit I returned to Jamaica and when I went to see the doctor she recommended that I return to the US and get into a hospital through the ER and there they will work out a payment plan.

Fast-forward to June 2005. A year passed and I had not received any treatment as I decided to build my immune system first. I had to return to the hospital for blood transfusion and the doctors told me that my prognosis wasn't good; they said that I am going to die because I delayed treatment and the cancer had spread. They told me to get on a flight within the week and as I get off the plane I am to go directly to the hospital and do not even think about going to anyone's home. Being a Christian and seriously hearing from the Lord I held on to everything that he told me and asked for three days grace period when I arrived in the US which he gave mebecause on the third day I had to call 911 because I was seriously ill (too graphic to write) and I was rushed to the hospital. I was admitted and spent thirteen days where I was given ten bags of blood in total and taken for radiation treatment at another hospital. The Oncolgy department at the hospital opened just for me on a Saturday because the doctor was moved with compassion. Doctors gave orders that if I needed them they were to be contacted without hesitation and the staff knew that. When I was released I had to return once a week for chemo and every day to the radiation department of another hospital for radiation.

Now what good can come out of this you might ask and where is the love story but here goes:

One day as I sat in the Oncology waiting room talking to another cancer patient I glanced across the room to see a man locked into a stare at my profile. I heard myself asking why is this man looking at me like that and turned away to continue my conversation but I could see him from the corner of my eye and the man would not take his eyes off me..even when I looked two more times :yes: . He just sat staring like a cartoon character. I could mentally see his mouth hitting the floor and wondering what is it that this man is seeing in me because I had lost so much weight but funny enough I was feeling quite cute and petite, lol. I was wearing teenager's clothing and was feeling rather hip with my old self, :rofl: woyee mi belly. Anyway, we didnt say anything to each other but nodded and that was that.

The following week I had my chemo treatment again whcih made me late for radiation and there he was..still staring. This time I started arguing with God about the connection I felt from this man's stare and I didnt find it funny. I was in no mood for a relationship and I wasn't interested and this man was giving me the "gosh you are wonderful" look. I smiled but inside I was cussing (not bad words). The next week as the radiologist called the names of the patients that need to get in their gowns for radiation, she called our names together and she said "Coy, Clay'. Now if you look at my name you will see that I am now Coy-Clay, isn't that cute? Anyway the more I see him the more familiar he looked and he was wearing scrubs so as we sat in the inner waiting area one of the staff came to me and was commenting on how I looked too young to have an 18 yr old son as my son had visited from Florida to spend his birthday with me because I could not be there to spend it with him. Well Clay as I knew his name to be then heard what she said and asked me if I had an 18 yr old to which I responded "an eighteen and an eight. I told him that he looked familiar and the conversation started. I found out that, as destiny would have it, he worked at the hospital that I was admitted AND he worked on the very ward I was admitted on(true true). The only thing is that he was out sick as he too had an operation due to the cancer and was just returning to work. There was a lady that was so good to me when I could not eat the hospital food and she went home and cooked pumpkin soup for me and I wanted to thank her so he gave me the straight-line to reach her. he then asked the people at the hospital what kind of patient I was because you have very gumpy patients and they told him how i would wave to them every day that the EMS came to take me to radiation and when I return I would sing " I'm back guys", they told him that even when I didn't eat and couldn't walk I was still chirpy. This must have turned him on (L):yes: as he fell in love with sweet lovable me. I need to get over myself right?

Two week later I was told that I was going to receive two operations to complete my radiation and that would be the end of all my treatment. By then we were friends and I gave him my number. He called and invited me out to dinner to celebrate the end of my treatment but I didn't want to go because I really did not know him all that well as yet. He wasn't pushy but insisted sweetly to take me home after I came out from surgery as he had a mini-van. I said okay and sure enough he came after his treatment. The following week I had another surgery and embarrassment upon embarrassment they lost my underwear ( dont laugh). When he came to see me he overheard the nurse telling me that they cannot find my underwear and he volunteered to go and purchase one for me. Luckily I wore a size 5 then and he went and came back with a bingo :rofl:

Two weeks later I had to return to see the doctor and he invited me to dinner, this time I went with him because in talking I realised that we had so many things in common. That began our dating and we went out for many more dinners and spent almost every day together. As we got to know each other we knew in our hearts that we were meant to be. We were ending each other's sentences from the first date and he was so patient with me when I could hardly walk after chemo and radiation and had to be peeing every 20 minutes :wacko: .

We got married one year eight months later and this Friday, April 17 will be our second wedding anniversary (F)(L):dance: . God has really placed us together because one year four months ago the cancer returned and spread in his body. That is the reason we didn't file earlier because I was concentrating on his health. Being through it myself I was the ideal person to understand everything that he was going through and gave him the love and support he needed. The doctor thought he would die in December of last year but I encouraged him and prayed. Now he is doing much better and the doctor is amazed that the cancer has significantly decreased even after they reduced the dosage.

What is fi yuh cannot be un-fi-yuh as the Jamaican saying goes. So hold tight VJer's and love respect and treat your spouse well. Mi gone........

:cry:

(L)

(F)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
KayCee - I have an underwear questions. ARe bikini underwear considered bingos? My husband calls them grandma's undies. Well anything that is not a thong he calls grandma..I don't get it.

ahhhaaa..KK...yes if it a high waiste bikini yup..sur is..anything that comes above ur navel and covers ur whol rump..hahhaa...like dem sey u need some french cut or thongs..ahahaa

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

KayCee - I have an underwear questions. ARe bikini underwear considered bingos? My husband calls them grandma's undies. Well anything that is not a thong he calls grandma..I don't get it.

ahhhaaa..KK...yes if it a high waiste bikini yup..sur is..anything that comes above ur navel and covers ur whol rump..hahhaa...like dem sey u need some french cut or thongs..ahahaa

:rofl: I get it now.

Filed: Timeline

KayCee this is such a beautiful story. So true, "What is fi yuh cannot be un-fi-yuh."

HAPPY 2nd Wedding Anniversary!!!! (F)(L)(F)(L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.