Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We all deserve to be loved.

Mother and MIL

02-13-2013 - I-130
02-21-2013 - NOA1
10-21-2013 - Sent to another office
10-23-2013 - Sent to NSC (60 days the most to approval) (praying)
11-13-2013 - NOA2. Approved!!!!!!??????

11-19-2013 - NOA2 hardcopy receved

NVC
11-18-2013 - Shipped to NVC

12-09-2013 - Received by NVC

12-23-2013 - Entered in system

01-07-2014 - DS-261 completed online

01-08-2014 - AOS paid

01-16-2014 - Expedite service requested

01-19-2014 - Paid IV bill

01-23-2014 - NVC requested phone number for applicant to complete expedite request

01-23-2014 - IV paid

01-30-2014 - Expedite request approved (awaiting email instructions)

02-03-2014 - Expedite approval received in the mail

02-04-2014 - AOS and IV package sent to supervisor (MIL's sent for regular processing)

02-06-2014 - Package received and signed for at NVC

02-10-2014 - Called NVC and was told I-864A not signed by me

02-12-2014 - Signed I-864A sent

02-24-2014 - Case complete for mom per NVC rep

02-27-2014 - Case shipped to Kingston

03-01-2014 - Hard copy of transfer received

03-04-2014 - Interview scheduled over phone by consulate

03-06-2014 - Packet 4 shipped per consulate

03-21-2014 - Medical done

04-04-2014 - Interview passed

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

So what were the circumstances around meeting your SO?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was on vacation in Jamaica. My best friend and I met a chef that worked on the resort. He liked my best friend and wanted to hang out at Margaritaville. We didn't the first year but the next year we came back, he was determined to hang out with us. So when we were supposed to meet I got drunk before we even left our room. So the chef saw us the next day and asked what happened. I explained it was my fault. So we agreed to meet that night. So we did and he brought his childhood friend with him. He (the chef)was so excited about seeing my best friend, he neglected to introduce his friend to me. We introduced ourselves to one another. We spent the whole night together. We agreed to keep in touch. That was in June. We talked every other day. When I came back in November we talked and decided to get engaged. I filed the paperwork in February... now we are waiting! I love him soooooooooo much. He is a GREAT man!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

So what were the circumstances around meeting your SO?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was on vacation in Jamaica. My best friend and I met a chef that worked on the resort. He liked my best friend and wanted to hang out at Margaritaville. We didn't the first year but the next year we came back, he was determined to hang out with us. So when we were supposed to meet I got drunk before we even left our room. So the chef saw us the next day and asked what happened. I explained it was my fault. So we agreed to meet that night. So we did and he brought his childhood friend with him. He (the chef)was so excited about seeing my best friend, he neglected to introduce his friend to me. We introduced ourselves to one another. We spent the whole night together. We agreed to keep in touch. That was in June. We talked every other day. When I came back in November we talked and decided to get engaged. I filed the paperwork in February... now we are waiting! I love him soooooooooo much. He is a GREAT man!

hey ms tee.. this quana again..if u are not doing anything.. check us out in the yardie thread.. should be on the bottom of this screen i think..

Timeline

I like to think of my story has a fairytale ending. lol

I met my SO when i was only 9y-o. He had migrated a couple of months before i moved to that area and had come back for his great-great-grandmother's funeral. He took a liking to me (1990).

Every summer after that he came and we talked (or he talked and i stared and hissed my teeth when he asked a question). It's funny how he never asked me to be his girlfriend, i never said i would be we just were and everybody knew it (puppylove). lol.

Age 15 he came and then i didn't see him again until he was turning 18, i was 19 and had a 5 mths old daughter. I felt so disappointed in myself at the time and thought it would never be the same. We never had any contact other than when we saw each other so i had moved on.

He told me he was going to Aviation school to be a pilot. I gave up on us at that time so did he.

In '07 his cousin called me, just to say hi. He was there and i spoke to him but just for a moment.

I hooked with is cousin on hi5, apparently one day she was going through her friends and he was there, the picture of a very beautiful girl caught his eye he was shocked to find out the fair maiden was me, me! lol

She sent me a message saying people want to talk to you, i was a little shocked but called anyways. Valentines day it was and everything fell rignt imto place. The moment we started talk we new we wanted to be together forever. We could feel it in our hearts, in our souls, in our bodies, we just new. It's like we were both missing a piece of our lives and found it.

It was overwhelming. We both found in each other what we were looking for.

I love him

He loves me.

I hope you'll are as happy as i am.

Mother and MIL

02-13-2013 - I-130
02-21-2013 - NOA1

NVC

01-08-2014 - AOS paid

01-23-2014 - NVC requested phone number for applicant to complete expedite request

01-23-2014 - IV paid

02-04-2014 - AOS and IV package sent to supervisor (MIL's sent for regular processing)

event.png

Timeline

I like to think of my story with a fairytale ending. lol

I met my SO when i was only 9y-o. He had migrated a couple of months before i moved to that area and had come back for his great-great-grandmother's funeral. He took a liking to me (1990).

Every summer after that he came and we talked (or he talked and i stared and hissed my teeth when he asked a question). It's funny how he never asked me to be his girlfriend, i never said i would be we just were and everybody knew it (puppylove). lol.

Age 15 he came and then i didn't see him again until he was turning 18, i was 19 and had a 5 mths old daughter. I felt so disappointed in myself at the time and thought it would never be the same. We never had any contact other than when we saw each other so i had moved on.

He told me he was going to Aviation school to be a pilot. I gave up on us at that time so did he.

In '07 his cousin called me, just to say hi. He was there and i spoke to him but just for a moment.

I hooked up with is cousin on hi5. Apparently one day she was going through her friends, he was there, the picture of a very beautiful girl caught his eye, he was shocked to find out the fair maiden was me, me! lol

She sent me a message saying people want to talk to you, i was a little shocked but called anyways. Valentines day it was and everything fell rignt into place. The moment we started talk we knew we wanted to be together forever. We could feel it in our hearts, in our souls, in our bodies, we just knew. It's like we were both missing a piece of our lives and found it.

It was overwhelming. We both found in each other what we were looking for.

I love him

He loves me.

I hope you'll are as happy as i am.

Mother and MIL

02-13-2013 - I-130
02-21-2013 - NOA1

NVC

01-08-2014 - AOS paid

01-23-2014 - IV paid

event.png

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Any newbies have stories to share?

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Awww it's been nice to read all these love stories :luv: Glad you have all shared :D

I would like to share.

My fiancé Danny and I were introduced by his best friend (now my brother in-law), who at the time was my sister's fiancé in April of 2006.

Danny said he was always talking about my sister, so one day he asked if she had any sisters. His friend told him about me and he was interested in talking to me but my sister wouldn’t give my phone number to her then fiancé. Instead, he asked my sister to call and conference a call between us. At that time he told me about Danny and asked for my phone number, which I refused at first but with his pleading I agreed. When I gave him the number, I really didn’t expect anything to materialize. About two weeks later, he called back to say he had lost the phone numbers and if I would please give them to him again. I told him to give me Danny’s number and I would call him.

I chose not to call Danny immediately. About a week later, my sister called me to find out if I called; I told her I was not interested so “no” I didn’t call. She insisted that I should give it a shot and call him. When I finally decided to call, both numbers had no replies so I gave up. My sister became a pain and insisted that I try calling again, I did and it ended with the same result. She told me she wanted to try the numbers herself and was successful in getting him. She called me back and insisted that I call "right now", which I did and believe it or not, no answer. I said to my sister, “this person must be invisible” - so she decided to conference call all three of us, (without him knowing), sure enough he answered - at that point, I was sure he was real. We all hung up and I called him back. He was at work at the time so we spoke briefly. He asked me to call him later that day at 7pm – after hanging up the phone, I decided I wasn’t going to call him back but of course, my nosey sister got involved again.

After calling him that weekend, we started communicating by phone (lots of calling cards) – He called me every Sunday from then on, then he started calling me on Fridays as well. I would call him on Saturdays as well as looking forward to his Sunday morning calls. Eventually, we started calling each other every day. Then in December of 2006, he called one day and said he wanted to tell me something, he said "what if I tell you I'm in love with you"..I replied, "I would say you're crazy". Well two months later on February 7, 2007 I was struck with the same bug and it’s been a wonderful joy since. Now we talk at least three to four times per day - some time by text messages. We finally met on August 9, 2007; I was in Jamaica for my sister and his best friend’s wedding. He was the best man and I was the maid of honor. So far I have spend Easter vacation, my birthday and his birthday together. He proposed to me the day before my birthday last year.

Timeline

My husband and i have known each other since we were kids our grandmothers were friends and lived in the same neighborhood, its funny i remember he used to sit in a corner sucking his thumb and just watching me and my brothers and sisters play and i would offer him to join us, now we are all grown up he siad he used to be scared to ask me to play because he thought my brothers would beat him up :lol: anyways i moved here and we reunited in August 2005 at my grandmother's funeral (i know right a funeral brought us together again) he could not keep his eyes off me he asked one of my neices to ask me if i would give him my phone number i said yes it was like i married him that day he followed me around the whole time i was in Jamaica and called me 5-6 times a day after i left, after just a month i went back and he asked me to marry him :luv: i said i would think about it he said he's not going anywhere take all the time i need after a few months i said YES! ( i went back to Jamaica again) :yes: We have been together sincet4537.gif , God blessed us with a beautiful son in December 2006 and we got married in June 2009t5505.gif and our story continues as our love for each other grows daily (has it ups and downs but it never fades :yes: )

02/04/10 Case complete

02/08/10 Interview scheduled

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

04/05/10 received welcome letter dated 03/30/10 :)

04/08/10 Card Production Ordered!

04/13/10 Approval Notice Sent! :)

04/15/10 Second Welcome Letter dated 4/8/10?

04/19/10 Card received!! WOOHOO!

loveshower.gif046314001268967245-final.gif

Removing Conditions Timeline (I-751)

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

2/21/12 NOA Received by mail

2/27/2012 Biometrics Notice received

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

Timeline
Hi everyone. I love to tell my story because I believe that my husband and I were really destined to be. It might not be as entertaining as most and I have to give you a little background first so grab the popcorn, here goes:

I came to the US on one of my annual visits in 2004 to see my first-born ( I have two sons); he lived in Florida and I truly wasn't sure when it was that I would see him again. You see, I was diagnosed with cancer in July 2004 and I didn't have a clue as to how to pay for the treatment so I took my two week vaction which I usually take in August to spend with him and celebrate his birthday. My family was all I could think about and how my diagnosis would affect them. We made it into a reunion and my sisters and their children came to Florida and all bundled up in my eldest sister's apartment. Eleven of us in a two bedroom, woyee.

Now the cost of the treatment was $850,000 and I had no money to take care of that so I decided to use that month's salary and pay for the trip. After the visit I returned to Jamaica and when I went to see the doctor she recommended that I return to the US and get into a hospital through the ER and there they will work out a payment plan.

Fast-forward to June 2005. A year passed and I had not received any treatment as I decided to build my immune system first. I had to return to the hospital for blood transfusion and the doctors told me that my prognosis wasn't good; they said that I am going to die because I delayed treatment and the cancer had spread. They told me to get on a flight within the week and as I get off the plane I am to go directly to the hospital and do not even think about going to anyone's home. Being a Christian and seriously hearing from the Lord I held on to everything that he told me and asked for three days grace period when I arrived in the US which he gave mebecause on the third day I had to call 911 because I was seriously ill (too graphic to write) and I was rushed to the hospital. I was admitted and spent thirteen days where I was given ten bags of blood in total and taken for radiation treatment at another hospital. The Oncolgy department at the hospital opened just for me on a Saturday because the doctor was moved with compassion. Doctors gave orders that if I needed them they were to be contacted without hesitation and the staff knew that. When I was released I had to return once a week for chemo and every day to the radiation department of another hospital for radiation.

Now what good can come out of this you might ask and where is the love story but here goes:

One day as I sat in the Oncology waiting room talking to another cancer patient I glanced across the room to see a man locked into a stare at my profile. I heard myself asking why is this man looking at me like that and turned away to continue my conversation but I could see him from the corner of my eye and the man would not take his eyes off me..even when I looked two more times :yes: . He just sat staring like a cartoon character. I could mentally see his mouth hitting the floor and wondering what is it that this man is seeing in me because I had lost so much weight but funny enough I was feeling quite cute and petite, lol. I was wearing teenager's clothing and was feeling rather hip with my old self, :rofl: woyee mi belly. Anyway, we didnt say anything to each other but nodded and that was that.

The following week I had my chemo treatment again whcih made me late for radiation and there he was..still staring. This time I started arguing with God about the connection I felt from this man's stare and I didnt find it funny. I was in no mood for a relationship and I wasn't interested and this man was giving me the "gosh you are wonderful" look. I smiled but inside I was cussing (not bad words). The next week as the radiologist called the names of the patients that need to get in their gowns for radiation, she called our names together and she said "Coy, Clay'. Now if you look at my name you will see that I am now Coy-Clay, isn't that cute? Anyway the more I see him the more familiar he looked and he was wearing scrubs so as we sat in the inner waiting area one of the staff came to me and was commenting on how I looked too young to have an 18 yr old son as my son had visited from Florida to spend his birthday with me because I could not be there to spend it with him. Well Clay as I knew his name to be then heard what she said and asked me if I had an 18 yr old to which I responded "an eighteen and an eight. I told him that he looked familiar and the conversation started. I found out that, as destiny would have it, he worked at the hospital that I was admitted AND he worked on the very ward I was admitted on(true true). The only thing is that he was out sick as he too had an operation due to the cancer and was just returning to work. There was a lady that was so good to me when I could not eat the hospital food and she went home and cooked pumpkin soup for me and I wanted to thank her so he gave me the straight-line to reach her. he then asked the people at the hospital what kind of patient I was because you have very gumpy patients and they told him how i would wave to them every day that the EMS came to take me to radiation and when I return I would sing " I'm back guys", they told him that even when I didn't eat and couldn't walk I was still chirpy. This must have turned him on (L):yes: as he fell in love with sweet lovable me. I need to get over myself right?

Two week later I was told that I was going to receive two operations to complete my radiation and that would be the end of all my treatment. By then we were friends and I gave him my number. He called and invited me out to dinner to celebrate the end of my treatment but I didn't want to go because I really did not know him all that well as yet. He wasn't pushy but insisted sweetly to take me home after I came out from surgery as he had a mini-van. I said okay and sure enough he came after his treatment. The following week I had another surgery and embarrassment upon embarrassment they lost my underwear ( dont laugh). When he came to see me he overheard the nurse telling me that they cannot find my underwear and he volunteered to go and purchase one for me. Luckily I wore a size 5 then and he went and came back with a bingo :rofl:

Two weeks later I had to return to see the doctor and he invited me to dinner, this time I went with him because in talking I realised that we had so many things in common. That began our dating and we went out for many more dinners and spent almost every day together. As we got to know each other we knew in our hearts that we were meant to be. We were ending each other's sentences from the first date and he was so patient with me when I could hardly walk after chemo and radiation and had to be peeing every 20 minutes :wacko: .

We got married one year eight months later and this Friday, April 17 will be our second wedding anniversary (F)(L):dance: . God has really placed us together because one year four months ago the cancer returned and spread in his body. That is the reason we didn't file earlier because I was concentrating on his health. Being through it myself I was the ideal person to understand everything that he was going through and gave him the love and support he needed. The doctor thought he would die in December of last year but I encouraged him and prayed. Now he is doing much better and the doctor is amazed that the cancer has significantly decreased even after they reduced the dosage.

What is fi yuh cannot be un-fi-yuh as the Jamaican saying goes. So hold tight VJer's and love respect and treat your spouse well. Mi gone........

This was a great story. God Bless you guys! (L)

I met my baby while on vacation on my very first trip to Jamaica. It was my last night in Jamaica, and I decided to go into the little club at the resort. There was a band that was playing on this particular night that had not been playing the whole time I was there. I ended up going up to the bar for some water since it was so damn hot in that club. I recognized the drummer from the band and I said hi and he said hi. I grabbed my water and went back to the dance floor...all of a sudden the drummer grabs me and says "I think you two should meet" and it was the keyboard player. I remember him because he had on a gold #### suit and I was joking about him earlier in the night with some of my friends. We started talking and then my song came on. I grabbed him and we went out on the dance floor. We ended up shutting down the club. He asked for my number and he called me two later and its been a dream come true every since.

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I met my baby while on vacation on my very first trip to Jamaica. It was my last night in Jamaica, and I decided to go into the little club at the resort. There was a band that was playing on this particular night that had not been playing the whole time I was there. I ended up going up to the bar for some water since it was so damn hot in that club. I recognized the drummer from the band and I said hi and he said hi. I grabbed my water and went back to the dance floor...all of a sudden the drummer grabs me and says "I think you two should meet" and it was the keyboard player. I remember him because he had on a gold #### suit and I was joking about him earlier in the night with some of my friends. We started talking and then my song came on. I grabbed him and we went out on the dance floor. We ended up shutting down the club. He asked for my number and he called me two later and its been a dream come true every since.

thanks for sharing

WITH GOD AND LOVE ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

Date Filed : 2010-04-16

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on April 19, 2010 in CHICAGO, IL 60603. The item was signed for by L BOX.

noas via email and text 04/26/2010

checked cashed 4/27/2010

Hard copy NOA 4/30/2010 Dated 4/26/2010

RFE 4/30/2010 need a co sponsor

5/26/2010 sent out evidence request.

5/28/2010 Evidence was received

5/28/2010 Biometrics complete

6/1/2010 touches on I485 and EAD

6/10/10 EAD Card production ordered

6/19/10AP arrived

6/21/10 EAD ARRIVED

11/16/2010 Touched

starplucker.gif

Timeline
My husband and i have known each other since we were kids our grandmothers were friends and lived in the same neighborhood, its funny i remember he used to sit in a corner sucking his thumb and just watching me and my brothers and sisters play and i would offer him to join us, now we are all grown up he siad he used to be scared to ask me to play because he thought my brothers would beat him up :lol: anyways i moved here and we reunited in August 2005 at my grandmother's funeral (i know right a funeral brought us together again) he could not keep his eyes off me he asked one of my neices to ask me if i would give him my phone number i said yes it was like i married him that day he followed me around the whole time i was in Jamaica and called me 5-6 times a day after i left, after just a month i went back and he asked me to marry him :luv: i said i would think about it he said he's not going anywhere take all the time i need after a few months i said YES! ( i went back to Jamaica again) :yes: We have been together sincet4537.gif , God blessed us with a beautiful son in December 2006 and we got married in June 2009t5505.gif and our story continues as our love for each other grows daily (has it ups and downs but it never fades :yes: )

I enjoyed your story!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.