Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Awww love is so beautiful with the right person

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

These stories are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the love stories. Brings me back to the days we first meet. Thanks for who ever bumped this thread up. I musted of missed it last year.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Bump for Dens Wifey.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Any Newbies wanna share how they meet their SO? :thumbs:

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Bump for the newbies!

November 19, 2007 - Met

Timeline

I always visit Jamaica in April, August and December of every year when my job closed (I work at a preschool) and after doing this for 3 years in a row I got tired of being lonely on my trips and decided to stp going so often. (I used to visit my dad after having no contact with him for 18 years.) It was my girlfriend's b'day and we decided to go on a girl's trip. To my surprise when we got to the resort her man was there :unsure: We were staying in Negril and we went to Rick's Cafe where I saw the finest young man ever, he was our server, he didn't say anything to me and so we left after we ate. The next day my friend told me to go back and take his number. We did go back, I took his number and we went to Alfred's that night. After that night we were inseperable, I went back every 2 months there after, my ex broke up with me because he was tired of me going to JA every second and a year later I filed for K-1 and 5 months later we were approved and here we are together planning a wedding. That's my story, dramatic but true :star:

K-1

09/17/09 Mailed I-129F

09/21/09 NOA1

12/04/09 NOA2!!!!

12/07/09 NVC Received Case

12/10/09 NVC Sent Case to Consulate

12/15/09 Consulate Recieved Case

12/21/09 Packet 3 Sent Out

2/12/10 Interview @ 8:30

APPROVED!!!!

2/26/10 POE @ JFK

Still haven't recieved visa yet: I was lucky enough to get my money back because the flight canceled.

3/2/10 Visa ready for pick up

3/3/10 visa picked up

3/3/10 POE @ JFK

5/1/10 Wedding

AOS

7/19/10 Mailed AOS Package

7/21/10 Package Received

7/27/10 Check Cashed

7/30/10 Recieved NOA

8/13/10 Case transfered to CSC!

8/18/10 Received biometrics letter

8/26/2010 Biometrics appt

9/13/2010 EAD and AP approved

9/18/2010 AP recieved

9/23/2010 EAD recieved

10/1/2010 Greencard Approved

10/09/2010 Greencard Recieved, DONE with USCIS until August 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I met my hubby almost five years ago when I was on F2 under my mom. We dated for like a year before I decided to go home and get my own F1; knowing it might break us up. We continued talking while I was in Jamaica but I got caught up in some legal issues with the law and they were trying to get me to stay and help prosecute some dude. It was taking too long because of course we slow when it come to the courts and anybody can buy off anybody, so I told them I'll just give my statement but I cannot stay in JA any longer just to help out a case. Anyways, I went to Detroit to do my Associates; still talking to hubby. About 4 months later he asked my dad if we could get married (so cordial lol). I'd visit every other month or so to see him, he came and saw me once in Detroit for my 2008 bday (his first time leaving Delaware).

We kept our relationship up that year, and by Jan 2009, I took the semester off to be with him for his first semester in college. We were fine until we started arguing about when to get married (sounds silly, i know) but he wanted to get married there and then but i wanted to get my degree first. At that time I was just getting into USCIS because of helping my brother but atill had a lot more to learn. I left to Orlando to see my mom- whom I hadnt seen for 3 years. While there me and hubby kept fighting and ended up breaking up because "he wanted to get married now, or we wont get married at all" so i left him. We broke up for like 4-5 months (he kept paying my phone bill though) and tried mending our relationship last August when I FINALLY decided to visit. We been together since; he waited til I finished my degree in Decemeber. I came here two days after classes ended and got married Jan 6th...

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I met my hubby almost five years ago when I was on F2 under my mom. We dated for like a year before I decided to go home and get my own F1; knowing it might break us up. We continued talking while I was in Jamaica but I got caught up in some legal issues with the law and they were trying to get me to stay and help prosecute some dude. It was taking too long because of course we slow when it come to the courts and anybody can buy off anybody, so I told them I'll just give my statement but I cannot stay in JA any longer just to help out a case. Anyways, I went to Detroit to do my Associates; still talking to hubby. About 4 months later he asked my dad if we could get married (so cordial lol). I'd visit every other month or so to see him, he came and saw me once in Detroit for my 2008 bday (his first time leaving Delaware).

We kept our relationship up that year, and by Jan 2009, I took the semester off to be with him for his first semester in college. We were fine until we started arguing about when to get married (sounds silly, i know) but he wanted to get married there and then but i wanted to get my degree first. At that time I was just getting into USCIS because of helping my brother but atill had a lot more to learn. I left to Orlando to see my mom- whom I hadnt seen for 3 years. While there me and hubby kept fighting and ended up breaking up because "he wanted to get married now, or we wont get married at all" so i left him. We broke up for like 4-5 months (he kept paying my phone bill though) and tried mending our relationship last August when I FINALLY decided to visit. We been together since; he waited til I finished my degree in Decemeber. I came here two days after classes ended and got married Jan 6th...

What is yours will always be yours. I am happy for you. Remember to treasure your blessing because life is short.

My sweetie past away after 2 years 5 months 3 weeks 3 days and 14 hours of marriage. We had a great love and an excellent marriage of love, respect, and trust. He was a good man and an excellent husband.

Never forget to embrace the good times and affirm each other daily. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I meet my future husband in the US when he was on a work visa he was actually renting a room right next to my room. we ending up knowing the same friend and he kind of pushed us together and I thank my friend everyday for that. have been trying to get him here but my financial situation is not where it should be so Im working on it and pray that everything works out for the best

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

What is yours will always be yours. I am happy for you. Remember to treasure your blessing because life is short.

My sweetie past away after 2 years 5 months 3 weeks 3 days and 14 hours of marriage. We had a great love and an excellent marriage of love, respect, and trust. He was a good man and an excellent husband.

Never forget to embrace the good times and affirm each other daily. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Besa your story was sweet.. and Kay yours was endearing so thank you ladies! :)

I meet my future husband in the US when he was on a work visa he was actually renting a room right next to my room. we ending up knowing the same friend and he kind of pushed us together and I thank my friend everyday for that. have been trying to get him here but my financial situation is not where it should be so Im working on it and pray that everything works out for the best

Keep your head up and you will be in our thoughts and prayers :)

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Does anyone else have a story to share?

November 19, 2007 - Met

Timeline

My story is long and bittersweet. MY grandmother died on my birthday and I went to Jamaica with my mother and sister for the funeral. I havent visited Jamaica since 2001 and this was 2005, so the family was very happy to see us, considering the purpose of the visit. The night before the service my cousin took me to the Asylum a club in New Kingston. As we were walking to an area in the club where his friends were standing, my eyes met with this fine, tall man. My cousin introduced me to him. He was a friend of my cousin and knew my grandmother well. We talked the night away, and even though the music was loud, we didnt hear anything but our voices. We parted ways knowing that we would see each other the following day at the funeral. I forgot to mention that I was married with 2 children, ages 2 and 14. My husband and I were having serious marital issues and was unfortunately staying together solely for the kids.

Back to better part of the story, Sean and I saw each other at the funeral. This time he was more handsome than the night before. He was clean shaved and had a suit on. We were talking outside the church before the service began and a transformer box exploded on the street. I was so frightened, I jumped into his arms. We both laugh about that to this day. I returned to the states, thinking I lost all communication with him. We didnt exchange numbers, and I just assumed it was just some flirting going on and time to get back to reality. One day while I was at work my cousin in Jamaica called me from a strange number. He told me he was using "sean's" phone. He asked if I wanted to say hi, we spoke and the rest is history. I went to Jamaica with the kids for a summer vacation. Sean and I hung out with out children the entire time, getting to know each other. I was in Jamaica for thanksgiving and February the following and 2-3 times a year after that. We got engaged on August 2, 2010 and was still waiting for my divorce (my husband refused to sign the divorce papers, even after I moved out the state with the kids and moved on with my life). I was officially divorced October 21, 2010 and filed our I-129F March, 2011. I know my story is long and detailed but this was a portion of what I submitted with my application. My answer to question 18 on the application was 5 pages. I had to detail 6 years of our love story.

KLbIm4.png

3-5- 2011 - Mailed I-129F to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX

3-10-2011 - Received and processed by USCIS

3-15-2011 - Email received

3-16-2011 - "Touched"

3-18-2011 - Official NOA-1 received in mail

7-05-2011 - NOA-2 received (via email and text)

7-15-2011 - NVC received case; case# assigned

7-18-2011 - Case left NVC

7-21-2011 - Case received by the Jamaican Embassy

7-21-2011 - Sent DS-230 via email;Requested Packet 3 and confirmation of receipt to be sent via email

NEVER GOT PACKET 3

8-08-2011 - Interview date

8-08-2011 - APPROVED W/BLUESLIP (MEDICAL INCOMPLETE)

8-29-2011 - Completed medical: sent email to Embassy requesting date to drop off medical

9-01-2011 - Appt date to drop off medical, passport and DHL fee: received tracking #

9- -2011 - Received passport: time to book the ticket

10-1-2011 - POE: JFK

Timeline

I wanna share!!! LOL! Well I met Phil in 2002 at a graduation in Mandeville I was going to start school there that same year. I'm originally from California and my father is a Jamaican so that is how I ended up going there for college. Well anyway I was talking with some of my dorm friends and a guy walked up to one of them and said hello and kinda lingered around a bit I thought he was so handsome and that night I asked her if he was single and was talking about him and that was it and that was that we never really talked about anymore after that day... in December we went to a Fame Rode Party in Port More and there he was again we dance a couple times and when we went back home I told my roommate he was so cute she told me she was going to give him my number. I said no don’t but as I was getting ready to go home for Christmas vacation He called me and I was shocked because I wasn't expecting him to call, I was kinda upset but just told him that I was going home and he could call me when I came back in January... The same day I arrived back in Jamaica he texted me but I didn't reply, the day after that he called me and asked if he could take me out I said no that’s ok. He was very persistent, I finally said yes. He came to pick me up at my dorm Jan 10 and we went out for ice cream with my sister and a dorm room friend... We had a great time we talked for about 3 hrs and walked around Mandeville. We met up again at a club in Kingston called Asylum Jan 27th, we ended up staying out side and talking and kissing the whole night I was 18 at the time and thought it was so awesome lol!!! The next day we met up again he took me to meet his mother, sister, and brother and a couple Aunts and Uncles. Feb 3rd 2003 we became an official couple. He is my first LOVE. We we’re broken up for 5 years in which I had 1 serious relationship I wanted him to love me like I was before but instead kept getting hurt we have a little girl together and I wanted to stay together for her but was tired of getting hurt. Phil and I never lost contact with each other , in March 2010 he asked me to come to Jamaica and I agreed we connected right away and on my second visit in June 2010 he told me he couldn't let me go again and proposed to me at a party in Mo-Bay it was wonderful. Our rode has been very rough. People have told me numerous times that I’m making a mistake and there are so many men here so why not find an American. My mother, Father, Sister and Brother- In-Law all support me and have all met him and that gives me a lot strength to keep going. I’m excited that this long process is almost at its end and I can’t wait to have my hunny here.

Timeline

berry and bird & KaynPhil, thanks for sharing your stories! I noticed that both of your stories have a part taking place in Asylum. Maybe I should send my single friends there. :)

November 19, 2007 - Met

Timeline

berry and bird & KaynPhil, thanks for sharing your stories! I noticed that both of your stories have a part taking place in Asylum. Maybe I should send my single friends there. :)

How funny!! We sure did!! It's defiantly a place where singles meet... I have a few friends that met their boyfriends there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.