Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow all these stories are so touching :thumbs: ...well I'm new to this but all my yardies have inspired me :luv: ..lol

In June 2007 I went to Jamaica with my family(siblings, mom) while there I had a blast, hung out with my cousins and friends. Well one night a friend of my mother came by and brought Ryon(my SO). I wasnt paying him no attention but he kept trying to talk to me....anyway I gave in...when we talked I realized we had a lot in common. He was sooooo thoughtful and made me laugh(which is a +). From that day it was the 28th of June we have been inseparable. I invited him to Dunns River with my family and anywhere else we went. I learned that my mom knew some of his family members like his uncles and cousins(such a small world afterall). I met his mother, siblings and other family members. When I got back to NY I had several high phone bills because I wanted to hear his voice, even my parents were like "do you guys ever sleep"

From the beginning we decided to take the relationship one day at a time, I was hesitant about jumping into another relationship especially a LDR. Okay in January 2008 I went back. He introduced me to more family and friends(i felt so popular :lol: ). When I got back to NY it was the same routine again I would call or he would. Idk if anyone has felt this but if I didnt hear from him for a couple of days i would go out of my mind, anyways he then would ask me questions like if he was to ask me to marry him what would I say....at first I would joke around but then i would say you know I would. He would call talk to my parents(i didnt know this at the time). Ok so my mom and I went back in July 2008, that is when he proposed(my parents knew he would). I found out later on that he discussed it with my father. Not only did he propose the same week I came, there was a suprise engagement party. There was sooo much family and friends and I couldnt believe he did this all for me with the help of my mom.

Like almost everyone else I was very sad when I had to leave. I went back in February 2009(for V-day). Oh if anyone goes into New Kingston Cuddyz is a nice place to eat down the block from Pegasus and Emancipation Park. I wish I could see him more but due to work I can't be taking off too often. Anyways I decided to do the fiance visa.....seems like the quicker choice. So here I am on this visa journey!

Basically I have found my True Love, the one who I can't wait for his call, just to hear his voice. The one who knows when something is wrong just by hearing my voice. The one I want to spend my life with! Yup my baby Ryon :yes:

Love has no boundaries, no limitations. Love flows like a river, silent and calm, it gives us strength and shelters us from every storm.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Idk if anyone has felt this but if I didnt hear from him for a couple of days i would go out of my mind,...

Aww! That surprise engagement party must've been fantastic.

And I don't know how that feels. So far, Steven and I have spoken every day since my 4th of July visit last year.

Edited by NatPatBen

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Like Everyone else..i enjoyed reading all the love stories on how everyone met their SO !! SO i guess i will share mine ..

i met my SO (Dwayne) in May 2008. I was on vacation with my family( mom, older brother and grandmother) for my grandmothers 90th birthday!! it was my very first trip to Jamaica. We were visiting my mom and my grandmothers family and cousins in St. Thomas ( Boring side) ..but anyways we spent two weeks there and while we were their one of my cousins introduced us to her friend that she said would take us around where ever we wanted to go ..shopping , beach, kingston..etc. he was aalso a friend of my family so everyone knew him already..so for 2 weeks my SO was our driver and he tried on many occasions to talk to me and get to know me but i wouldnt give him the time of day. My mom and brother even noticed him looking at me and trying to talk to me...until one day my mom was like u need to give him a chance and stop being so rude...lol..well two weeks prior to my trip to jamaica i went thru a hard breakup with my ex boyfriend of 5 years. so when i went to ja i didnt have any intentions of meeting any guy or talking to any guy becuz i was still feeling the effects of my break up etc...anyways the day before i left to come back home my SO took me and my family and my cousins to the beach it was May 8th 2008..once again he tried intinating conversation but this time it was different... something inside of me just said give him a chance...so we were playing in the water and he were were talking getiing to know each other..and he said that from the day he saw me he's been watching me and wanting to get to know me...so thats how the conversation started..and it ended with me being in his arms...not knowing that i was leaving the next morning to come back home he invited me to dinner with him that night...so we went and it was kind of awckward for me becuz i was'nt really looking for a realtionship but i could tell that he liked me alot..and i was strating to feel something for him too..so we talked and had a nice time.. we had so much in common we were both born in JAN his birthday is 10 days earlier than mine..we were the same age..we just clicked..and to think i wouldnt give him the time of day..he asked for my number and i gave t to him not thinking he was gonna call me..but we enjoyed the rest of the night together and he took me home ..gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. The next morning as we were getting ready to leave my uncle was taking us to the airport...my So came driving up which i was surprised..he came to say good -bye to me and my family. i was so touched and surprised i didnt know what to do or how to feel...i spent the whole trip to the airport thinking about him...when i finally reached home ..i had a voicemail message from him ...before i could even check it my phone rang it was him calling to see if i made it home ok...and also telling me that from the day he saw me he was inlove with me..from that day( may 9th ) we've been talking every day...i ran up my sprint phone bill too about $6,000 talking to him (oops) :wow: i had fell in love with him since the day at the beach but i just didnt know it....i couldnt go a day without hearing his voice...anyways ...i went back to ja in NOV 08 with my mom to see him..i met his family and we all had a good time..i recently went back in FEB by myself ( v-day weekend) he proposed in front of his family....the night before i left to come home...it was sweet and sincere..I'm now filing for the K-1...he's the love of my life and with all that i've been thru i know that god put him in my life for a reason..

Vermont Service Center:

** 5/8/2009 - I29F Sent to VSC

** 5/12/2009- I29F Received @ VSC

** 5/13/2009- NOA1 Mailed

** 5/14/2009- Check Cashed

** 5/21/2009- NOA1 Received by Mail

** 9/11/2009- NOA2 via Email * Approved*

** 9/15/2009 - NVC Recieved/ KNG Case # assigned

** 9/18/2009 - Case left NVC for Kingston

** 9/18/2009- Kingston Recieved Case

** 9/19/2009- NOA2 Received by Mail

** 9/25/2009- Packet 3 Sent via Jamaica mail

** 10/2/2009- Packet 3-4 Recieved via Email

** 10/2/2009- Interview Day Assigned * OCTOBER 27TH 2009 *[APPROVED]*

**10/13/2009- Medical Completed

**10/27/2009- Interview[ blue slipped for not having medical]

**11/16/2009- Medical Picked up in KNG

**11/24/2009- Appt at Embassy [ turn in medical]

**12/1/2009- Visa in Hand

**12/2/2009 POE : Ft. Lauderdale !!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
.....from that day( may 9th ) we've been talking every day...i ran up my sprint phone bill too about $6,000 talking to him (oops) :wow: i had fell in love with him since the day at the beach but i just didnt know it....i couldnt go a day without hearing his voice...

Beautiful story!

Regarding your SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR phone bill, WOW! I thought mine was high the time it was $250ish.

Please tell me that you've found the cheaper ways to make phone calls.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline
.....from that day( may 9th ) we've been talking every day...i ran up my sprint phone bill too about $6,000 talking to him (oops) :wow: i had fell in love with him since the day at the beach but i just didnt know it....i couldnt go a day without hearing his voice...

Beautiful story!

Regarding your SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR phone bill, WOW! I thought mine was high the time it was $250ish.

LOL...yea it was pretty out of control !! now we use the digicel international minutes plan..thank god for that thing !! it is a life saver..

Vermont Service Center:

Bahamian here and I'd love to tell my story too......here goes....Per my daughter's choice...We met online in September 2007...neither of us expected anyhting much from the other....after all he just happened to see me online after ignoring my smile via a dating site....and to quote his words exactly..." I'm not sure this can work...you're soo far you're in the Bahamas and I'm in Kentucky". However, we talked and continued to do so via emails and telephone discovering more and more that we really had a lot in common. He decied to visit me in November 2007 for the first time. I was scared....I didn't know what to expect and so was he.....I didn't want him to disrepect me because we met online nor did I want to pretend to be someone I wasn't.... I also knew that marriage was far fetched. When he arrived I had to pick him up in my old car ...the door couldn't close proeprly...I already planned that if he didn't want to ride my car to the hotel I would pay for his taxi cab as he was my guest in my country. We identified each other...and I was beide myself...his face was what I was searching for my entire life...but I didn't want to show that as yet since I hadn't pass the car inspection. Surprise there was none......I don't think he noticed the old nissan sentra...he occupied my car as though it was a luxury car. I felt relieved. The entire weekend he was there we enjoyed ourselves....ohhh yeah the first kiss was heavenly to say the least...he was polite...accommodating...and all that....I knew he was my prince charming when ....I couldn't find a babysitter for my son on the secound night...I told him that I would have to leave early because the babybitter didn't come true...he said...exact words..." if you don't mind could he stay here with us...I'd prefer both of you are here rather than not being with you at all"....well folks that was it...I said Lord please may I keep him cause he's all the man I'll ever need. we've had phone bills of up to $2,000.00 combined and have done a much better job controlling it. We've visited each other back and forth . He told his family about me. He sister and son came down in Junne 2008 we spent a lovely time in Abaco with my kids( 11, 18) they love him. We engaged on his sister's birthday June 26, 2008 in Treasure Cay, Abaco, Bahamas...a remote beach just the two of us....informed everyone...they were all happy...he filed for the 1129F in August . I met most of his immediate Mom and Dad included ...lovely people and they are christians..happy about that. Here we are today....I love him just as though it was the first time we met...inspite of our differences...he's the love of my life..and I can't wait to share whatever of our life is left....I know someday he'll read this...I love you Baby....I'm blessed to have you.

K1

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bahamas

I-129F Sent : 2008-08-19

Interview Date : 2009-04-23 -PASSED

Visa Received : 2009-04-28

POE: Nassau, Bahamas (Pre-Clearance Facility)/Atlanta, Georgia

US Entry : July 3 2009

Civil Marriage : July 21, 2009

Wedding Ceremony: September 26, 2009

AOS/EAD/AP: I-485/I-765/I-131

Filed: August 11 2009

NOA1: August 24, 2009

Touched: August 26, 2009

Biometrics : September 24, 2009

RFE: September 3 , 2009

Response Sent: September 11, 2009

Case Transferred to CSC : September 15 2009

AP: Approved Spt. 23 2009

Biometrics: Completed

EAD: Approved Sept. 24 2009

EAD: Received Oct. 1 2009

receceived green card: 12/29/2009

6Nqfm4.png

- I 751 -Removing Conditions

Form I-751 Package sent: 10/11/2011

Rec'd NOA1: 10/17/2011

VSC cashed Check: 10/19/2011

Biometrics Appt.: 11/07/2011

rec'd email Notification Approved, Card ordered 07/17/2012..yesssss

GC recid: 07/20/2012

Thanks sus, dancehallquana and the rest of you...much love

K1

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bahamas

I-129F Sent : 2008-08-19

Interview Date : 2009-04-23 -PASSED

Visa Received : 2009-04-28

POE: Nassau, Bahamas (Pre-Clearance Facility)/Atlanta, Georgia

US Entry : July 3 2009

Civil Marriage : July 21, 2009

Wedding Ceremony: September 26, 2009

AOS/EAD/AP: I-485/I-765/I-131

Filed: August 11 2009

NOA1: August 24, 2009

Touched: August 26, 2009

Biometrics : September 24, 2009

RFE: September 3 , 2009

Response Sent: September 11, 2009

Case Transferred to CSC : September 15 2009

AP: Approved Spt. 23 2009

Biometrics: Completed

EAD: Approved Sept. 24 2009

EAD: Received Oct. 1 2009

receceived green card: 12/29/2009

6Nqfm4.png

- I 751 -Removing Conditions

Form I-751 Package sent: 10/11/2011

Rec'd NOA1: 10/17/2011

VSC cashed Check: 10/19/2011

Biometrics Appt.: 11/07/2011

rec'd email Notification Approved, Card ordered 07/17/2012..yesssss

GC recid: 07/20/2012

Well I have some time plus I'm in BOOMTOWN (Bored Outta Of My Mind) so I'll share. Although I wish my story was all juicy and romantic like the others but here goes:

I have known my SO since the beginning of time. His family and my family were really close. My mom was actually married to his uncle. Ha! Some of my friends say that I'm marrying my cousin but Lord he is not that. My mom and his uncle have been divorced for a long time now but still remain friends. Anyhoo, my sister moved to Jamaica when she was little to be closer to her dad's people; and so I would visit when I was outta school and breaks, etc. By this time the divorce between my mom and his uncle had been done and over with and me and SO would sometimes hang out and go out together. He was a major starer and would always be looking at me even when I wasn't talking. After sometime I could feel like he liked me but he would never tell me really. He is so shy!! Well we started talking on the phone and I started to visit just him. Forget the family! LOL. We both wanted to start a more serious relationship but we knew it would be really hard; both because we were really young at the time and the distance was a killer. Some years passed by and I was still just visiting him and on one trip we decided that we both loved each other and wanted to make this more of relationship. So I filed and he is here now. I love being with him, his eyes, his swag, his smell and overrall just him. He is so patient, kind and sincere. Now almost 6 years, one daughter and another on the way; our love is growing stronger and we know God has a plan for us.

Honesty is the best policy but never use honesty as an excuse to be hurtful.

1vOEm7.png

NbWqm7.png

Timeline
Well I have some time plus I'm in BOOMTOWN (Bored Outta Of My Mind) so I'll share. Although I wish my story was all juicy and romantic like the others but here goes:

I have known my SO since the beginning of time. His family and my family were really close. My mom was actually married to his uncle. Ha! Some of my friends say that I'm marrying my cousin but Lord he is not that. My mom and his uncle have been divorced for a long time now but still remain friends. Anyhoo, my sister moved to Jamaica when she was little to be closer to her dad's people; and so I would visit when I was outta school and breaks, etc. By this time the divorce between my mom and his uncle had been done and over with and me and SO would sometimes hang out and go out together. He was a major starer and would always be looking at me even when I wasn't talking. After sometime I could feel like he liked me but he would never tell me really. He is so shy!! Well we started talking on the phone and I started to visit just him. Forget the family! LOL. We both wanted to start a more serious relationship but we knew it would be really hard; both because we were really young at the time and the distance was a killer. Some years passed by and I was still just visiting him and on one trip we decided that we both loved each other and wanted to make this more of relationship. So I filed and he is here now. I love being with him, his eyes, his swag, his smell and overrall just him. He is so patient, kind and sincere. Now almost 6 years, one daughter and another on the way; our love is growing stronger and we know God has a plan for us.

Awww..thats a nice story Shanette ..really sweet..your so lucky to have your SO with you !! i'm dreaming of the day when i will have mines by my side forever and always !! Best Wishes and God Bless you and yours !!

Vermont Service Center:

Timeline

Beautiful story!

And here I thought I was the only one with the outragoues phone bills. When I think of all the money I have spent on phone cards its enough to put me to shame!!! But I do understand if i don't hear Rocky's voice everyday I go insane. Like when were mad at eachother I look at the phone like please ring. I have to sit on my hands just to not call em first and when he does call I answa on the first ring trying to sound casual as if I wasn't waiting...LOL Boy the games we play... Thank u Jah for the digicel intl plan!!!

Timeline

I basically have my story of how we met in my sig/story but to wrap it up I met him at Pier One the last day before my vacation was to be over. What's funny about my SO is that he is everything I’m not attracted to. He's darker than I like, shorter than I like and thinner than I like. See I'm a fluffy gyal so mi like mi men a likkle big so dat when we walk done the street I don’t look bigger than what I am but something about him has grabbed my heart and it wont let go.

Anyway I was at the club with some friends I just met from Dallas who were staying at my resort. I was at the club with my nose in the air because at the time I didn’t do Jamaicans. Well Jah pulled the wool over my eyes. At first my SO was dancing with one of my friends but I noticed the whole time he was starring at me. I tired to ignore him but it was like his gaze was burning a hole right through me. As soon as he was done dancing with her he asked me to come here and I told him no he come to me. He did and we talked the whole night. I mean the sun came up and we were still talking. Its like the conversation just wouldn’t end. I also did something I have never done before right before I was about to leave I leaned in and kissed him. It was something bout his lips I just had to touch them because they looked so soft and sweet. I shocked us both!

I went back to the hotel with my friends and later on that day it was time for me and my family to leave. As I was in the lobby waiting for our shuttle to pick us up this tour bus was in front and once it moved there he was standing on the other side of it looking for me. When our eyes met we both laughed. He told me he just had to come and tell me bye. We exchanged numbers and he asked me to call him once I reached home. I was thinking it would be a quick conversation but a hour later I was hanging up. I would have went longer but I was worried about the expense.

From that day on we have been connected. I still don’t know what it is about him he is so not my type but yet I love him more than any man I have ever known and yes that scares me!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I met my SO while he was working in my community as the lifeguard ..The day we met i was doing laundry and i kept walking past the pool i struck up a conversation with him. I wanted to learn as much about him as i could as the summer progressed we got closer and closer ... He was always hanging at my house and i was always at the pool. as the end of his time and in Virginia came to a end i was feeling terrible cause i knew i would miss him sooo much . He returned to Maryland to finish out the season as the pools in VA were closed... I knew i was in love when i drove 4 hrs to see him for a short period of time . We talked on the phone everyday... Then he returned to Jamaica my heart was broken. At first we didn't get to talk much but as time went on we started talking more and more ofter not even caring that my phone phone bill was high... then in November he asked me to be his wife with the approval of my daughter and my parents... wich of course my kids and parents love him ... now here we are going through this whole K1 process.

WITH GOD AND LOVE ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

Date Filed : 2010-04-16

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on April 19, 2010 in CHICAGO, IL 60603. The item was signed for by L BOX.

noas via email and text 04/26/2010

checked cashed 4/27/2010

Hard copy NOA 4/30/2010 Dated 4/26/2010

RFE 4/30/2010 need a co sponsor

5/26/2010 sent out evidence request.

5/28/2010 Evidence was received

5/28/2010 Biometrics complete

6/1/2010 touches on I485 and EAD

6/10/10 EAD Card production ordered

6/19/10AP arrived

6/21/10 EAD ARRIVED

11/16/2010 Touched

starplucker.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.