Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

KK did you run around the office? :D

Aww so you were approved!!!! How wonderful I feel like I was watching a movie and it had a happy ending. I am so very very happy for you kcoy. I know now the union between you and your hubby was surely meant to be!!! (tear tear)

Awww DaDa, you are so sweet. Nuff love to you

hahaha...nope I didn't run around the office. But I was very happy for you.

KK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
KK did you run around the office? :D

Aww so you were approved!!!! How wonderful I feel like I was watching a movie and it had a happy ending. I am so very very happy for you kcoy. I know now the union between you and your hubby was surely meant to be!!! (tear tear)

Awww DaDa, you are so sweet. Nuff love to you

hahaha...nope I didn't run around the office. But I was very happy for you.

KK

Girl you run in your heart. That is the best running you can do cause not even Usain Bolt can beat that :D:no:

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi guys, sorry I didn't respond right away. I was busy sending out resume's and writing cover letters blah blah blah.

KK, u got the answer already, thanks to Hotlegz.

Dada, J2ustice, JAPrincess, sus and NatAndBen, thanks for the comments. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching my own movie as it feels so unreal lol.

I remembered in 2004 when I was in Ja and going through the cancer journey, it was really hard for me but I had a sense of hope within. I was just diagnosed with cancer and my employer told me that my job would be too stressful so it is best for me to stop working, in other words, resign. It was the truth so I resigned. My landlord told me that he would never tell me to leave because I was unemployed and was going through so much, but the second month of not receiving his rent he gave me a summons to appear in court for non-payment of rent. My decision to get help in the US separated me from my younger son who was already traumatised by my sickness. Life didn't look too great for me at the time and I remember asking the Lord to strengthen me in all of this.

In Octoer 2004 an ex who lived in NY told me that I could stay with him and his kids and he would do as much as he could to help. Believing that this was a great blessing as we kept in touch after a while and seemingly had a great friendship as he appeared so understanding and seemed truly concerned, I consented to his invitation. He would research information about my condition and make calls and help in any way he could. He even took a trip to Ja for a week to give me some moral support. I thought it was so sweet of him and three days after returning to NY he purchased my ticket so that I could travel two weeks later.

After arriving in the NY I discovered within two weeks that his plan was to upbraid me and make my life miserable while I was trying to heal. He gave me good food but he cursed me everyday and sometimes he would curse me and call me all sorts of names for hrs and hrs talking about how I left him ten years ago in 1994 (I left him for being unfaithful and verbally abusive). When we were seeing each other he would 'joke" about how the doctors thought he was schizophrenic when they admitted him into an institution but he didn't take the medication because they told him that he didn't need the medications. Stupid me believed what he said but ten years later after seeing him in his environment I realised he was truly schizophrenic as he had ALL the symptoms and would constantly talk about hearing voices that was telling him to kill me. He also always thought that everyone at his workplace was out to get him and were trying to make him lose his job.

He had books on how to separate a woman from her friends and family and then kill her and I am not making this up. The title was something like "How to make a woman stay with you" and as I read it i realised that it had more information than just making her stay with you. I had no money to buy my return ticket so I stuck it out. Luckily he was sent on government business to Denmark which gave me three months of peace of mind even though he would curse me via email and phone calls as his scitzo mind would rack up all sorts of thoughts.

I learnt how to take the blame for what "I did" in the past by ruining our "wonderful long-distant relationship" while I waited for him to purchase my ticket back to Ja. He even had the nerve to call me in Ja after I returned and cursed me out and even threatened me but I gave him the dial tone. He tried to pull the same stunt on me by calling me a month after my return to Ja to tell me that he would never treat me like that again but when I told him I was never going to return to his home, he cursed me and burned my cherished tapes of my children at age 2 that were left behind. I wasn't in a new relationship with this man, I thought we were just friends and he was helping me in time of need but I discovered that his sickness made him very revengeful and he also kept talking about us being together and happy, can u imagine that? I learnt that there is no such thing as common friendship with an ex, if they are too friendly and helpful 9 out of 10 times it is because they always want something more. It was my stepping stone and I didn't get the promised help but I learned something from it.

I went through a lot while I was diagnosed and God decided to step in and change it all. Beauty for ashes and joy for mourning was what I received when I met my wonderful husband as well as now being cancer-free.

We had a great day yesterday as we celebrated our second anniversary. Thanks for all who wished us well. I know this forum is about how we met our significant other and with all the joy I felt over meeting my husband I just wanted you guys to know that I believe it was a reward through the grace of God for all that I have been through. God bless you all

:wow: I know I am reading this late but your story is :thumbs: a testimony and just proves how good God is and it is neva too late for love no matter the circumstance or what one has been thru in the past

Love has no boundaries, no limitations. Love flows like a river, silent and calm, it gives us strength and shelters us from every storm.

Timeline
I basically have my story of how we met in my sig/story but to wrap it up I met him at Pier One the last day before my vacation was to be over. What's funny about my SO is that he is everything I’m not attracted to. He's darker than I like, shorter than I like and thinner than I like. See I'm a fluffy gyal so mi like mi men a likkle big so dat when we walk done the street I don’t look bigger than what I am but something about him has grabbed my heart and it wont let go...

... I also did something I have never done before right before I was about to leave I leaned in and kissed him. It was something bout his lips I just had to touch them because they looked so soft and sweet. I shocked us both!

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

I also didn't have immediate physical attraction to my SO. I generally like my men dark, tall, and thick (for the same reason you stated above). Steven's height is fine, but he's SOOOO thin and he's bright skinned. Good thing we didn't go with just what our eyes could see. This man is THE most beautiful man on the inside. And he cleans up nicely on the outside, too!

I agree with u both, I felt the same at first. Sometimes we have a particular type we like but then our SO's came along and totally changed that.....they

showed us wat LOVE is all about!

Love has no boundaries, no limitations. Love flows like a river, silent and calm, it gives us strength and shelters us from every storm.

I basically have my story of how we met in my sig/story but to wrap it up I met him at Pier One the last day before my vacation was to be over. What's funny about my SO is that he is everything I’m not attracted to. He's darker than I like, shorter than I like and thinner than I like. See I'm a fluffy gyal so mi like mi men a likkle big so dat when we walk done the street I don’t look bigger than what I am but something about him has grabbed my heart and it wont let go...

... I also did something I have never done before right before I was about to leave I leaned in and kissed him. It was something bout his lips I just had to touch them because they looked so soft and sweet. I shocked us both!

I also didn't have immediate physical attraction to my SO. I generally like my men dark, tall, and thick (for the same reason you stated above). Steven's height is fine, but he's SOOOO thin and he's bright skinned. Good thing we didn't go with just what our eyes could see. This man is THE most beautiful man on the inside. And he cleans up nicely on the outside, too!

I agree with u both, I felt the same at first. Sometimes we have a particular type we like but then our SO's came along and totally changed that.....they

I think sometimes we really don't know what we want.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think sometimes we really don't know what we want.

THIS IS SO TRUE

WITH GOD AND LOVE ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

Date Filed : 2010-04-16

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on April 19, 2010 in CHICAGO, IL 60603. The item was signed for by L BOX.

noas via email and text 04/26/2010

checked cashed 4/27/2010

Hard copy NOA 4/30/2010 Dated 4/26/2010

RFE 4/30/2010 need a co sponsor

5/26/2010 sent out evidence request.

5/28/2010 Evidence was received

5/28/2010 Biometrics complete

6/1/2010 touches on I485 and EAD

6/10/10 EAD Card production ordered

6/19/10AP arrived

6/21/10 EAD ARRIVED

11/16/2010 Touched

starplucker.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

So what were the circumstances around meeting your SO?

I grew up with Andre in Oakridge, located in Kingston. We were childhood sweethearts for a few months before my mother migrated us to NYC. We lost touch over the years (from March 1994 to December 2007..lol...that is a long time). I found his sister through another childhood friend of mine on Facebook (I never stopped thinking about how he was doing, but of course I had long since moved on with my life). I gave her my number to give to him, he called me and we spoke daily, from then on, for hours. I then decided that it was time for me to return to Jamaica, after being gone for 14 years. Arrived in April 2008, we went out on dates, then I had to leave. We decided that we would see what happens. So, I spent the entire summer 08 in Jamaica and by the end of the summer we decided that we should not tempt destiny anymore, and so we got married on August 4th, two days after his birthday. It was meant to be. He even remembered where we were when we had our first kiss AND what I was wearing AND what I smelled like. I was sold!!!! He has always been such a sweetheart. There are a lot of good Jamaican men out there, I had to find that out 14 years later. He is amazing and he has truly renewed my faith in Jamaican men (this stemmed from the relationship between my parents). Anyway, that is the story of me and my baby :D

Did any of you feel that our stories could not happen in real life? I definitely felt that way before I met the love of my life. I met him March '06 in Mobay. My best friend and I went for our vacation we take annually. One night we were out dancing and he walked up to me and asked if he could dance with me. We did for awhile then went to sit and talk. I took everything he said with a grain of salt, feeling he was just another man spitting game. But his game was different; sincere. And he talked to me like a gentleman. Anyways, he asked me to call him. I planned not to but my friend convinced me to. I called but hung up before saying anything. I went back home and a few days later he called me. He got my number from the missed call on his phone and figured it had to be me. We continued to talk on a regular basis, but I still felt I had to stay guarded. I knew I was falling for him but did not want to get hurt & was not fond of LDR. He convinced me to come visit him 6 months later. I met his family and had a great time. It was funny how comfortable I felt with him with that little physical contact. He said the same. We admitted we were in love and the rest was history. After a few more visits to Jamaica, he asked me to marry him in 2008. He even called my Mom to get her permission!! I chewed on it for months and finally agreed. We were married in Negril Nov '08. I was happy that he got to finally meet my mom 2 days before our wedding. Now we are patiently waiting for our spousal visa to be completed so we can continue our journey in life. . . together.

Edited by uicrn

Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

I grew up with Andre in Oakridge, located in Kingston. We were childhood sweethearts for a few months before my mother migrated us to NYC. We lost touch over the years (from March 1994 to December 2007..lol...that is a long time). I found his sister through another childhood friend of mine on Facebook (I never stopped thinking about how he was doing, but of course I had long since moved on with my life). I gave her my number to give to him, he called me and we spoke daily, from then on, for hours. I then decided that it was time for me to return to Jamaica, after being gone for 14 years. Arrived in April 2008, we went out on dates, then I had to leave. We decided that we would see what happens. So, I spent the entire summer 08 in Jamaica and by the end of the summer we decided that we should not tempt destiny anymore, and so we got married on August 4th, two days after his birthday. It was meant to be. He even remembered where we were when we had our first kiss AND what I was wearing AND what I smelled like. I was sold!!!! He has always been such a sweetheart. There are a lot of good Jamaican men out there, I had to find that out 14 years later. He is amazing and he has truly renewed my faith in Jamaican men (this stemmed from the relationship between my parents). Anyway, that is the story of me and my baby :D

Did any of you feel that our stories could not happen in real life? I definitely felt that way before I met the love of my life. I met him March '06 in Mobay. My best friend and I went for our vacation we take annually. One night we were out dancing and he walked up to me and asked if he could dance with me. We did for awhile then went to sit and talk. I took everything he said with a grain of salt, feeling he was just another man spitting game. But his game was different; sincere. And he talked to me like a gentleman. Anyways, he asked me to call him. I planned not to but my friend convinced me to. I called but hung up before saying anything. I went back home and a few days later he called me. He got my number from the missed call on his phone and figured it had to be me. We continued to talk on a regular basis, but I still felt I had to stay guarded. I knew I was falling for him but did not want to get hurt & was not fond of LDR. He convinced me to come visit him 6 months later. I met his family and had a great time. It was funny how comfortable I felt with him with that little physical contact. He said the same. We admitted we were in love and the rest was history. After a few more visits to Jamaica, he asked me to marry him in 2008. He even called my Mom to get her permission!! I chewed on it for months and finally agreed. We were married in Negril Nov '08. I was happy that he got to finally meet my mom 2 days before our wedding. Now we are patiently waiting for our spousal visa to be completed so we can continue our journey in life. . . together.

aww. great story u.. and yes.. roger and i always comment on how this seems SOOO UNREAL.. i love how ur hubby talked w/ ur mom! happy filing sweetie!

Timeline

aaaaawwwwww....that was such a touching story.....It did seem unreal in the beginning and I too could agree with u with having my guard up.....wasn't sure wat to expect...thats y we agreed to take it one day at a time!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like to think of my story has a fairytale ending. lol

I met my SO when i was only 9y-o. He had migrated a couple of months before i moved that that area and had come back for his great-great-grandmother's funeral. He took a liking to me (1990).

Every summer after that he came and we talked (or he talked and i stared and hissed my teeth when he asked a question). It's funny how he never asked me to be his girlfriend, i never said i would be we just were and everybody knew it (puppylove). lol.

Age 15 he came and then i didn't see him again until he was turning 18, i was 19 and had a 5 mths old daughter. I felt so disappointed in myself at the time and thought it would never be the same. We never had any contact other than when we saw each other so i had moved on.

He told me he was going to Aviation school to be a pilot. I gave up on us at that time so did he.

In '07 his cousin called me, just to say hi. He was there and i spoke to him but hust for a moment.

I hooked with is cousin on hi5, apparently one day she was going through her friends and he was there, the picture of a very beautiful girl caught his eye he was shocked to find out the fair maiden was me, me! lol

She sent me a message saying people want to talk to you, i was a little shocked but called anyways. Valentines day it was and everything fell rignt imto place. The moment we started talk we new we wanted to be together forever. We could feel it in our hearts, in our souls, in our bodies, we just new. It's like we were both missing a piece of our lives and found it.

It was overwhelming. We both found in each other what we were looking for.

I love him

He loves me.

I hope you'll are as happy as i am.

Mother and MIL

02-13-2013 - I-130
02-21-2013 - NOA1
10-21-2013 - Sent to another office
10-23-2013 - Sent to NSC (60 days the most to approval) (praying)
11-13-2013 - NOA2. Approved!!!!!!??????

11-19-2013 - NOA2 hardcopy receved

NVC
11-18-2013 - Shipped to NVC

12-09-2013 - Received by NVC

12-23-2013 - Entered in system

01-07-2014 - DS-261 completed online

01-08-2014 - AOS paid

01-16-2014 - Expedite service requested

01-19-2014 - Paid IV bill

01-23-2014 - NVC requested phone number for applicant to complete expedite request

01-23-2014 - IV paid

01-30-2014 - Expedite request approved (awaiting email instructions)

02-03-2014 - Expedite approval received in the mail

02-04-2014 - AOS and IV package sent to supervisor (MIL's sent for regular processing)

02-06-2014 - Package received and signed for at NVC

02-10-2014 - Called NVC and was told I-864A not signed by me

02-12-2014 - Signed I-864A sent

02-24-2014 - Case complete for mom per NVC rep

02-27-2014 - Case shipped to Kingston

03-01-2014 - Hard copy of transfer received

03-04-2014 - Interview scheduled over phone by consulate

03-06-2014 - Packet 4 shipped per consulate

03-21-2014 - Medical done

04-04-2014 - Interview passed

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Kerran, beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I like to think of my story has a fairytale ending. lol

I met my SO when i was only 9y-o. He had migrated a couple of months before i moved that that area and had come back for his great-great-grandmother's funeral. He took a liking to me (1990).

Every summer after that he came and we talked (or he talked and i stared and hissed my teeth when he asked a question). It's funny how he never asked me to be his girlfriend, i never said i would be we just were and everybody knew it (puppylove). lol.

Age 15 he came and then i didn't see him again until he was turning 18, i was 19 and had a 5 mths old daughter. I felt so disappointed in myself at the time and thought it would never be the same. We never had any contact other than when we saw each other so i had moved on.

He told me he was going to Aviation school to be a pilot. I gave up on us at that time so did he.

In '07 his cousin called me, just to say hi. He was there and i spoke to him but hust for a moment.

I hooked with is cousin on hi5, apparently one day she was going through her friends and he was there, the picture of a very beautiful girl caught his eye he was shocked to find out the fair maiden was me, me! lol

She sent me a message saying people want to talk to you, i was a little shocked but called anyways. Valentines day it was and everything fell rignt imto place. The moment we started talk we new we wanted to be together forever. We could feel it in our hearts, in our souls, in our bodies, we just new. It's like we were both missing a piece of our lives and found it.

It was overwhelming. We both found in each other what we were looking for.

I love him

He loves me.

I hope you'll are as happy as i am.

THIS IS TOUCHING STORY .

WITH GOD AND LOVE ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

Date Filed : 2010-04-16

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on April 19, 2010 in CHICAGO, IL 60603. The item was signed for by L BOX.

noas via email and text 04/26/2010

checked cashed 4/27/2010

Hard copy NOA 4/30/2010 Dated 4/26/2010

RFE 4/30/2010 need a co sponsor

5/26/2010 sent out evidence request.

5/28/2010 Evidence was received

5/28/2010 Biometrics complete

6/1/2010 touches on I485 and EAD

6/10/10 EAD Card production ordered

6/19/10AP arrived

6/21/10 EAD ARRIVED

11/16/2010 Touched

starplucker.gif

Timeline
Kerran, beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

Agree wit Nat Kerran....it truly is beautiful....well said with the fairytale ending!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.