Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

8we met on mackinac island michigan

so polite at the club, he walked my bike up the huge azz hill by our houses.

he came over the next day and we didnt spend one day apart for 6 months

(until his work visa expired)

we loved/ we fought

we laughed and cooked

we made our lives mesh

i knew i was in love when i came home from work and he cleaned the whole apt, made me dinner and washed and folded my clothes!

i knew i was in love when he just gave me a hug when i was crying at something stupid on tv- even though i knew deep down he thought i was nuts!

i knew i was in love when he told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, but didnt want to get married just so he didnt have to leave america......

i knew i was in love when he wrote me a birthday poem and rapped it to me upon my awaking in the morning

i love him- nobody will ever be able to take that away

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

we loved/ we fought

we laughed and cooked

we made our lives mesh

i knew i was in love when i came home from work and he cleaned the whole apt, made me dinner and washed and folded my clothes!

i knew i was in love when he just gave me a hug when i was crying at something stupid on tv- even though i knew deep down he thought i was nuts!

i knew i was in love when he told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, but didnt want to get married just so he didnt have to leave america......

i knew i was in love when he wrote me a birthday poem and rapped it to me upon my awaking in the morning

Knowing him, I can imagine all this. He's special, A. Don't let that go.

P.S. You better invite us to the wedding. We'll fly up!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

we loved/ we fought

we laughed and cooked

we made our lives mesh

This is so beautiful!!!! I am so happy for you guys!

~9/8/08 - I-129F sent VSC

~9/17/08 - NOA1 received[/color]

~9/22/08 - I29F approved

~9/26/08 - NOA 2 received

~10-01-08 - NVC processed petition

~10-03-08 - Packet 3 mailed

~10-15-08 - Packet 3 dropped off at embassy

~11-21-08 - Interview!

~11-21-2008- VISA APPROVED!!!

~12-9-08 - arrived-POE JFK

married on ~2-27-09-

===========================================

AOS

~3-13-09 Mailed AOS

~3-16-09 AOS received

~3-23-09 NOA1 received

~4-21-09 Biometrics appt

~3-31-09 Biometics Done!

~5/1/09 AP Received

~4/27/09 EAD order for production

~7/24/09 =AOS interview

~7/24/09 = GC approved pending completed vaccination record.

~8/27/09 = provided an updated vaccination record (hubby had to get another shot)

~9/08/09 = GC in Hand (360 days from filing k1)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
nice survey Yaads :)

Well, Kashi and I kind of grew up together. He used to come to the house in the mornings to wait for my brother and walk to school with his brothers while we lived in Kingston. I had no idea he was any kind of way interest in me. He's 2 yrs older than me so that would have been bad... :unsure: We moved to Portmore when I turned 13 and didn't see them for like a yr..one day some new people move in and guess who it was Kashi and his family. Like a young boy he used to always mess with me and me with my grown self asked him one night "WHY ARE U MESSING WITH ME!" HIS REPLY WAS "BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" ! I SAID 1st of all you don't know what love is :). We started "dating" and i left fot NY about 2 yrs later, we tried to keep the lines of communication open, but that didn't work. But after 9 yrs my sisters were in JA and he got in touch with me thru them. The night my phone rang I don't know where that feeling came from but I felt it was him. He asked to marry him over the phone in the summer 2004 I wasn't goin to JA til Jan 2005 but i knew i wanted to marry him and we were gonna get married, so I asked what kind of wedding he would like he said just the 2 of us..mi ask him if him mad..so we had a wedding of about 45 ppl in JA. BTW we couldn't wait so Kimora was conceived in Jan 2005 AFTER I BOUGHT DRESS :o so i had to go exchange my bra stuff for under my dress for just a strapless bra B) ..and we got approved August 2006 he arrived in the US August 2007 with a 10 yr greencard..and we're still going strong with chanllenges of course :)

:crying::crying::crying:

love.jpg

Timeline

we loved/ we fought

we laughed and cooked

we made our lives mesh

i am so happy reading this...... :crying:

love.jpg

I met di youngster through my two best male friends. A bunch of us had a standing Sunday afternoon dinner at my house. I always made enough food for tons of leftovers. The guys would bring the leftovers to the job site all week. They started sharing their lunch with my future husband. He was intrigued! Who is making all this delicious food? They started talking to him about me, and telling me about him as well. I was intrigued too! I learned how to cook some Jamaican food, and "slipped" that into the leftovers, dedicating that food for him ONLY! This went on for about two weeks. Then out of the blue, he called me one day. One of the guys had given him my number. We began talking every night for HOURS. It was fun and romantic, but in a kind of like make believe way. I didn't want to meet, afraid that we would have no "in person" chemistry and the fantasy would be over. After three weeks of talking every night, he had HAD IT (we only lived 15 minutes apart), he wasn't going to wait any longer to meet me. I told him he would have to wait ONE MORE WEEK. That night, I booked a ticket to Mexico for a week in a spa, leaving the following day. Boy, did I try to turn back the clock..........gym every morning, swimming all day, tanning, hair highlights, teeth whitening, THE WORKS! Don't know of it worked, but when we met the day I got back, we've been inseperable ever since.

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
nice survey Yaads :)

Well, Kashi and I kind of grew up together. He used to come to the house in the mornings to wait for my brother and walk to school with his brothers while we lived in Kingston. I had no idea he was any kind of way interest in me. He's 2 yrs older than me so that would have been bad... :unsure: We moved to Portmore when I turned 13 and didn't see them for like a yr..one day some new people move in and guess who it was Kashi and his family. Like a young boy he used to always mess with me and me with my grown self asked him one night "WHY ARE U MESSING WITH ME!" HIS REPLY WAS "BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" ! I SAID 1st of all you don't know what love is :). We started "dating" and i left fot NY about 2 yrs later, we tried to keep the lines of communication open, but that didn't work. But after 9 yrs my sisters were in JA and he got in touch with me thru them. The night my phone rang I don't know where that feeling came from but I felt it was him. He asked to marry him over the phone in the summer 2004 I wasn't goin to JA til Jan 2005 but i knew i wanted to marry him and we were gonna get married, so I asked what kind of wedding he would like he said just the 2 of us..mi ask him if him mad..so we had a wedding of about 45 ppl in JA. BTW we couldn't wait so Kimora was conceived in Jan 2005 AFTER I BOUGHT DRESS :o so i had to go exchange my bra stuff for under my dress for just a strapless bra B) ..and we got approved August 2006 he arrived in the US August 2007 with a 10 yr greencard..and we're still going strong with chanllenges of course :)

That is SOOO sweet. I'm loving reading this thread.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline

After a failed relationship with my baby's father in 2005 and a few unsuccessful dating experiences I was all but done with men...

I had broken up with my last boyfriend in August of 2008 and had not looked sideways at a man since!

I boarded a plane to JA the day after Christmas for some much needed rest and relaxation. Spent some wonderful times with friends up through New Years Day and really enjoyed my New Years Eve in JA. New Years Day I went to a show on the cliffs alone, and had the WORST time. The men were unbearable and I ended up back at my hotel rather early, beer soaked and feeling like I would choke the next male who spoke to me...

Lawd, it's a good thing me neva choke him - LOL!

He was working security at my hotel, and we struck up a conversation. He asked me why I was home so early, and he probably regretted that question once I started ranting! I went OFF about men in general, Jamaican men in particular. I mean God Bless them, but you can't leave the house with out hearing bout how dem need you, dem love you, dem neva see a vision so lovely *kissteeth*

He thought my descriptions were quite amusing and his laughter made me giggle too…

From the moment he spoke I knew there was something different about him. So gentle and soft spoken. There was something about the way he looked at me, and the things he said that night... When I told him that I had given up on love he quoted COR 13:13 and my heart skipped a beat... I showed him the "Faith, Hope, Love" ring on my hand and he just smiled... We talked for hours that night and when I woke the next day I could not stop thinking of that gentle voice and those amber eyes...

The next time I saw him was 2 nights later when he (once again) rescued me from a man on the beach who was about to whip his buddy out to show me how long and strong it was! :blink:

That night's conversation was even better than the first, and I was endeared to him forever...

We stole a few hours together the next morning when he got off work... it was tender, and sweet, and like no other connection I have felt in my 33 years on earth... As we lay there beside each other he gave me the ring off his pinky finger. Simple little cheap ring, but it meant so much in that moment. I gave him my US address and phone number, as I would be flying home the next day. :(

That afternoon I did a little souvenir shopping and I found a ring that was exactly the same as the one he put on my pinky that morning. I bought it and when I reached my hotel I called him and asked that he come see me one more time before I leave... When he got to my room I put the new ring on his pinky where the one I now wore had been.

He asked if we were married now, to which I replied: Not yet, but we might just grow into that next finger... :)

When I landed back home there was already a message on my voicemail wanting to know if I had made it home safe. It has been 34 Days since the first of the year and I have not spent one of them with out hearing his voice. Each phone call we get a little deeper and each depth seems to be more perfect and lovely in every way...

If communication is the most important thing in a relationship, we've had it from "hello" and I would not dream of turning my back on this kind of love... (L)

Having gone to JA once a year for 8 years, this is the FIRST time I have ever entertained a long distance relationship, and the only time I have purchased a return trip within a month of being home... :D

Regardless of his location, this is the only man I have ever had this kind of mental and spiritual connections with.

Only time will tell where this is headed but I got a pretty good idea, and I guess ya’ll do too since I have been here every day – lol!

There, now you have my story... :whistle:

This forum is wonderful, and I am thankful for people who understand what I am going through! :thumbs:

Timeline

Aww so many wonderful stories make me wanna cry.

Ok so here is mine. I met my Ricky April 3, 2007. I went to JA to visit my family and he was a close family friend. He had it going on, compared to most of the other JA men I met on that trip. He had his own business, a nice car and a smile that would melt your heart. Anyway he took me and my sister to a party and ignored me the whole time. I was pissed. :angry: When he took us home he was playing some love songs in the car and I was like "why you playing that music you in love?" He smiled at me, I smiled back and that was it. We hung out the next couple of days before I left but I didnt get too attached because he was honest with me and told me he had a woman and at the time I had a man over here. So we did exchange #'s but honestly I didnt think anything of it.

When I got back we kept in close contact him complaining about his girlfriend and me complaining about my ex and we comforted each other. He became My Best Friend. We went from talking once a month to once a week to every day.

In February 2008 he decided to break it off with his ex-girlfriend. He told me that he was madly in love with me and it was not fair to her or himself if he stayed in the relationship. I felt the same way and ended my relationship in March 2008. To this day my ex still cant get over it but I knew he was not the one for me and I think I was just with him just to be with someone.

I went to JA July 2008 spent 3 weeks and thats when I knew for sure I wanted to be with this man Forever.

We talked about getting married but it was not until I went back in August that He proposed (he realized that 1 month apart was too much) I went back in November and am going next week and again the end of March.

I love that man so much he is much more than a lover to me he is my best friend in the world, he is my heart and soul and I couldnt imagine life without him. (L)

"Patience with others is Love, Patience with self is Hope, Patience with God is Faith."--

Adel Bestavros

Timeline

ahhhhhhhh its good to read these stories..... because currently i wanna strangle my man

he just told me to go to the bedroom and think about what i said

LOL- honey im not your pickney

gotta love a man who will (try) to keep you in check :whistle:

Timeline
ahhhhhhhh its good to read these stories..... because currently i wanna strangle my man

Try being the operative word :whistle::rofl:

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

Ha Ha, A. I can picture him saying that. He doesn't know what he's done getting involved with you and your ATTITUDE!!!! You go, girl.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.