Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks ladies for the welcome all of yall storys are just so sweet im reading and smiling and laughing lol

** I been to hell and back but the key words is I'm back thanks to the grace of god! **

Love...Live...Life... (It's is better to have loved than to have never loved at all)

4/9/09 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center via USPS

4/10/09 - VSC received packet

4/13/09- VSC opened package

4/15/09- VSC mailed NOA1

4/17/09- VSC cashed check

4/17/09-NOA1 online

4/20/09-NOA1 hard copy

4/20/09-Touched

4/20/09- now we wait...

8/27/09- touched

8/31/09- approved!!

9/4/09- letter saying they mailed info to kingston

11/16/09 sent DS230 via email

11/18/09 rec email stating interview was scheduled for Dec

11/19/09 sent email asking what day in Dec and they responded Dec 8th!!!!! 2WEEKS

11/20/09 rescheduled to Dec 22 my preference date

12/22/09 Went to JA 12/9 and di ting is postponed until mi kno it's right!!! mi nah rush into nothing mi rather wait forever and kno everyting proper and sort out then rush and bawl lata... Mi kno when mi ting ah happen it ah happen RIGHT suh fah now mi ah wait likkle more...

DSC02522-1.jpgDSC02523-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

So what were the circumstances around meeting your SO?

I grew up with Andre in Oakridge, located in Kingston. We were childhood sweethearts for a few months before my mother migrated us to NYC. We lost touch over the years (from March 1994 to December 2007..lol...that is a long time). I found his sister through another childhood friend of mine on Facebook (I never stopped thinking about how he was doing, but of course I had long since moved on with my life). I gave her my number to give to him, he called me and we spoke daily, from then on, for hours. I then decided that it was time for me to return to Jamaica, after being gone for 14 years. Arrived in April 2008, we went out on dates, then I had to leave. We decided that we would see what happens. So, I spent the entire summer 08 in Jamaica and by the end of the summer we decided that we should not tempt destiny anymore, and so we got married on August 4th, two days after his birthday. It was meant to be. He even remembered where we were when we had our first kiss AND what I was wearing AND what I smelled like. I was sold!!!! He has always been such a sweetheart. There are a lot of good Jamaican men out there, I had to find that out 14 years later. He is amazing and he has truly renewed my faith in Jamaican men (this stemmed from the relationship between my parents). Anyway, that is the story of me and my baby :D

Edited by tigressbennett

Event Date

Marriage : 08/04/2008

I-130 Sent : 11/21/2008

I-130 NOA1 : 12/01/2008

I-130 Approved :02/17/2009

NVC Case number assigned: 02/17/2009

AOS Fee Received: 02/27/2009

Paid AOS Fee: 02/28/2009

Received AOS barcoded sheet: 03/03/2009

Sent off I-864 package: 03/04/2009

Choice of Agent accepted via email: 03/04/2009

IV Bill posted online: 03/04/2009

IV Bill paid online: 03/06/2009

I-864 packet received by NVC: 03/06/2009

IV barcoded sheet printed: 03/09/2009

Received info for DS-230 packet from my SO: 03/11/2009

DS-230 package sent out: 03/12/2009

I-864 package approved: 03/13/2009

DS-230 received by NVC: 03/17/2009

Case complete: 04/07/2009

Medical:

Interview: 06/25/2009 at 7am...WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

JFK POE:

mwhfql.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

I grew up with Andre in Oakridge, located in Kingston. We were childhood sweethearts for a few months before my mother migrated us to NYC. We lost touch over the years (from March 1994 to December 2007..lol...that is a long time). I found his sister through another childhood friend of mine on Facebook (I never stopped thinking about how he was doing, but of course I had long since moved on with my life). I gave her my number to give to him, he called me and we spoke daily, from then on, for hours. I then decided that it was time for me to return to Jamaica, after being gone for 14 years. Arrived in April 2008, we went out on dates, then I had to leave. We decided that we would see what happens. So, I spent the entire summer 08 in Jamaica and by the end of the summer we decided that we should not tempt destiny anymore, and so we got married on August 4th, two days after his birthday. It was meant to be. He even remembered where we were when we had our first kiss AND what I was wearing AND what I smelled like. I was sold!!!! He has always been such a sweetheart. There are a lot of good Jamaican men out there, I had to find that out 14 years later. He is amazing and he has truly renewed my faith in Jamaican men (this stemmed from the relationship between my parents). Anyway, that is the story of me and my baby :D

:thumbs: tigress, i love to hear about long lost love reunited.. i totally agree bout the good Jamaican men!!!

Timeline

Oh these stories are so heartwarming and so i got to add my own unexpected romance. i went to Jamaica 4-07 to recover...too many friends/family dying, i was drained and lost. i hadn't been back to JA since 1972 ( i was 20...do the math) so...oK, i'm old, i'm not looking, i'm avoiding the guys hustling in Negril.. No problem, i'm pretty confident of myself...........so i'm staying at a shared house in west end, loving the neighbors, feeling at home and not in the tourist scene, which is my style. i'm happy to walk/talk to the locals.....so my neighbors invite me to go swimming up in the hills, meeting up with other friends...caravaning our way ...somewhere to swim. along the way, we pick up more friends, and there he is... and he asks to ride in the backseat with me. We stop for some drinks and he buys everyone a guiness/snacks (wow?)...we put on my cd ( he loves my taste in music.), we start singing together, he's sweet, this is fun but....i'm still on guard, just want to heal my heart, not fall into fantasy or infatuation. I'd been free for 5 years and although i never planned to stay that way.......it gets harder to meet someone, who's not only tolerable (oh those bad internet dates!!!) but worthy. You know, worthy!!!! of all the time/distraction/lifedetours/change of plan...all the emotional #######....So, i'm on guard. We get to this gorgeous stream (i refuse to let anyone know the name)...so beautiful, an old stone bridge the kids were jumping off of, beautiful huge trees, flowers, clean clear water...so cool, so sweet......i swam, played with the kids, we sang we picnicked we washed our hair/locks. And i was not paying any attention to Him! ( but he was watching me) i was healing my heart in that water....every time i went under and came back up i felt renewed, reborn...like pain and heartache washed away, like a new clean ness i never felt and i had this huge smile on my face...no one could see the tears, but i gave it up and came out new! when we got in the car to leave....Rally asked me if i was free? yeah, i'm free (of course i'm free, i'm SO Free now!) and we hold hands....this time the songs are even sweeter and we sing to each other on the ride back. just before we arrive...he writes his number on my hand, and tells me to call him later, wants to take me on a real date. He says.." my heart tells me you're the one", but let's be friends first. Yes, friends first! for about 24 hours! I sweated that number right off my palm, and couldn't call him....but he hunted me down and showed up. We never left each other from that point on. He is the BEST! i'm so grateful for his loving kindness/honesty and dedication. i went back in August, stayed 3 weeks with him, and he proposed while holding me in the beautiful blue Caribbean water. Been back 2 more times, trying to go to different parts of JA each time...have to get away from his gazillion family/friends so we have time just for us!!!. It's such a big deal to bring someone this fast into your life, to trust your heart, and shut up the voices in your head begging for reason.........Life is short. My friend Sue said before she passed, Open your heart to all possibilities of LOVE. I truly believe that and i'm diving under.... coming up with a smile on my face. Blessed Love! Hope we can be together for our 2nd anniversary........... (L)

Culture1st[/font]

Timeline
Oh these stories are so heartwarming and so i got to add my own unexpected romance. i went to Jamaica 4-07 to recover...too many friends/family dying, i was drained and lost. i hadn't been back to JA since 1972 ( i was 20...do the math) so...oK, i'm old, i'm not looking, i'm avoiding the guys hustling in Negril.. No problem, i'm pretty confident of myself...........so i'm staying at a shared house in west end, loving the neighbors, feeling at home and not in the tourist scene, which is my style. i'm happy to walk/talk to the locals.....so my neighbors invite me to go swimming up in the hills, meeting up with other friends...caravaning our way ...somewhere to swim. along the way, we pick up more friends, and there he is... and he asks to ride in the backseat with me. We stop for some drinks and he buys everyone a guiness/snacks (wow?)...we put on my cd ( he loves my taste in music.), we start singing together, he's sweet, this is fun but....i'm still on guard, just want to heal my heart, not fall into fantasy or infatuation. I'd been free for 5 years and although i never planned to stay that way.......it gets harder to meet someone, who's not only tolerable (oh those bad internet dates!!!) but worthy. You know, worthy!!!! of all the time/distraction/lifedetours/change of plan...all the emotional #######....So, i'm on guard. We get to this gorgeous stream (i refuse to let anyone know the name)...so beautiful, an old stone bridge the kids were jumping off of, beautiful huge trees, flowers, clean clear water...so cool, so sweet......i swam, played with the kids, we sang we picnicked we washed our hair/locks. And i was not paying any attention to Him! ( but he was watching me) i was healing my heart in that water....every time i went under and came back up i felt renewed, reborn...like pain and heartache washed away, like a new clean ness i never felt and i had this huge smile on my face...no one could see the tears, but i gave it up and came out new! when we got in the car to leave....Rally asked me if i was free? yeah, i'm free (of course i'm free, i'm SO Free now!) and we hold hands....this time the songs are even sweeter and we sing to each other on the ride back. just before we arrive...he writes his number on my hand, and tells me to call him later, wants to take me on a real date. He says.." my heart tells me you're the one", but let's be friends first. Yes, friends first! for about 24 hours! I sweated that number right off my palm, and couldn't call him....but he hunted me down and showed up. We never left each other from that point on. He is the BEST! i'm so grateful for his loving kindness/honesty and dedication. i went back in August, stayed 3 weeks with him, and he proposed while holding me in the beautiful blue Caribbean water. Been back 2 more times, trying to go to different parts of JA each time...have to get away from his gazillion family/friends so we have time just for us!!!. It's such a big deal to bring someone this fast into your life, to trust your heart, and shut up the voices in your head begging for reason.........Life is short. My friend Sue said before she passed, Open your heart to all possibilities of LOVE. I truly believe that and i'm diving under.... coming up with a smile on my face. Blessed Love! Hope we can be together for our 2nd anniversary........... (L)

nice culture.. the best gifts come when we least expect it..

Timeline

I am new to VJ and have enjoyed reading all the stories you ladies have put up.

I knew about my SO before I even met him. His company was sending him for training at my company so I was in constant contact with his manager. His manager was so detailed and wanted to know ever little information. It was so bad that I thought that he must be a bit slow even though his boss told me that this would be his first time leaving the country....

Well a month before he came, I remember I was crying to my aunt about lonely I am and she said when you go to Jamaica, why don't you see if you can find a friend to correspond with. I told her I didn't want any man from JA because of all the stories I have heard and seen for myself. I left the argument like that went to JA, had fun and came back home to my misery.

I prayed a week before I met my SO and left it at that. I remember talking to a friend of mine and I was telling her that a customer was coming from JA. She said that I was going to get a man, but I replied please….. more than likely he will be short, bald and bad looking.

So finally the day arrived that he was coming for class. I saw two people get off of a shuttle from the hotel, went out and introduce myself. Turns out he was nothing I thought he would be….. He was tall, not bald and definitely HANDSOME. I normally just give the customers a quick run down of the events for the day and that would be last they saw me until they was ready to leave. But not that week…. I just kept going by the class to make sure he saw me. When the end of day one came I asked him if he would like to go sight seeing even though it was cold as heck. We went; I took him back to his hotel. The same thing happened the next day but his time we stayed out longer and spoke longer. I even offered to help him take some things to his room. Mind you I am normally never going to do something like this. I called him to let him know I was home and we talked to the wee hours of the night. The next night I brought him to hang out a few friends of mine which are all guys and I left him for an hour and came back to get him. We stood outside talking for about 3 hours while it was cold. The next night he took me to dinner to show his appreciation and we sat there for about 4 hours and the waiter kept coming by asking if we were okay. I took him back to his hotel and just left ( he later told me that he thought that I was no longer interested in him, I told him I had to keep him on his toes.) all during the week I was being teased at work that he was my husband, boyfriend or friend. The last night that he was here I took him into the city. First we went to the wrong train station. Then when we got to the right station and got on the train. He goes, so….. which one would you prefer Friend, Boyfriend or Husband so I looked at him asked him Why….. that made him take a few deep breaths, he said because I would like to take this further than just friends and I said me too with a big smile on my face. We got married had a baby and will be celebrating being together two years on March 16. My aunt said that Jamaica came to me.:)

Oh yeah I got us lost on our way back. :) lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We got married had a baby and will be celebrating being together two years on March 16. My aunt said that Jamaica came to me.:)

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on the marriage & baby.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I met my hubby through a mutual friend.. who kept saying we would make a great couple, well I guess he was right :) 2 years later we are stronger than ever :) p.s he was the best man in our wedding :)

Edited by mrshamilton

as1cF3M0g410000MDAzMTBsfDAwMDEyNjdsfEhvbGRpbmcgbXkgaHViYnlcJ3MgaGFuZCBhZ2Fpbg.gif

event.png

Timeline

OMG....culture that is a beautiful story. Brought tears to my eyes!

event.png

Timeline
I am new to VJ and have enjoyed reading all the stories you ladies have put up.

I knew about my SO before I even met him. His company was sending him for training at my company so I was in constant contact with his manager. His manager was so detailed and wanted to know ever little information. It was so bad that I thought that he must be a bit slow even though his boss told me that this would be his first time leaving the country....

Well a month before he came, I remember I was crying to my aunt about lonely I am and she said when you go to Jamaica, why don't you see if you can find a friend to correspond with. I told her I didn't want any man from JA because of all the stories I have heard and seen for myself. I left the argument like that went to JA, had fun and came back home to my misery.

I prayed a week before I met my SO and left it at that. I remember talking to a friend of mine and I was telling her that a customer was coming from JA. She said that I was going to get a man, but I replied please….. more than likely he will be short, bald and bad looking.

So finally the day arrived that he was coming for class. I saw two people get off of a shuttle from the hotel, went out and introduce myself. Turns out he was nothing I thought he would be….. He was tall, not bald and definitely HANDSOME. I normally just give the customers a quick run down of the events for the day and that would be last they saw me until they was ready to leave. But not that week…. I just kept going by the class to make sure he saw me. When the end of day one came I asked him if he would like to go sight seeing even though it was cold as heck. We went; I took him back to his hotel. The same thing happened the next day but his time we stayed out longer and spoke longer. I even offered to help him take some things to his room. Mind you I am normally never going to do something like this. I called him to let him know I was home and we talked to the wee hours of the night. The next night I brought him to hang out a few friends of mine which are all guys and I left him for an hour and came back to get him. We stood outside talking for about 3 hours while it was cold. The next night he took me to dinner to show his appreciation and we sat there for about 4 hours and the waiter kept coming by asking if we were okay. I took him back to his hotel and just left ( he later told me that he thought that I was no longer interested in him, I told him I had to keep him on his toes.) all during the week I was being teased at work that he was my husband, boyfriend or friend. The last night that he was here I took him into the city. First we went to the wrong train station. Then when we got to the right station and got on the train. He goes, so….. which one would you prefer Friend, Boyfriend or Husband so I looked at him asked him Why….. that made him take a few deep breaths, he said because I would like to take this further than just friends and I said me too with a big smile on my face. We got married had a baby and will be celebrating being together two years on March 16. My aunt said that Jamaica came to me.:)

how sweet (L)(L) , cyaan wait till Jamaica comes to me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I met my hubby through a mutual friend.. who kept saying we would make a great couple, well I guess he was right :) 2 years later we are stronger than ever :) p.s he was the best man in our wedding :)

Any more details? :P Something to make us go "Awwwwww" :blush:

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.