Yaads

Yardies - How did you meet your SO?

How you met your SO  

124 members have voted

1. 1. In what country did you meet your SO?

• U.S.
    • Jamaica
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What was the purpose for the trip when you met?

• Vacation
    • Business Trip/Work
    • Visiting Family/Friends
    • Volunteer/Mission Work
    • Other - Please explain
  3. 3. Where did you meet your SO?

• Resort/Hotel/Motel
    • Beach/Local tourist attraction
    • Club/Bar/Restaurant
    • Work/Business function
    • Introduced by family
    • Introduced by friends
    • Grew up together/childhood friends
    • School/School function
    • Church/Church function
    • Other - please explain

170 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So many people have misconceptions about how and why we meet our yardie SO's (think Stella). We were discussing this in the Yardie thread and thought it would be interesting to see the results on how we all came to be with our SO's. Please everyone keep it civil. This is not the thread to make any judgements on the legitimacy on someones relationship, ok?

So what were the circumstances around meeting your SO?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry y'all...forgot to add school as an option to the second question. I knew I would forget something.

Anyways...I met A when I was doing mission work. He helped me with a rowdy class of 7-11 year old boys chatting away in patois while I hadn't a clue :lol: I ended up going back to JA to visit the friends I had made while I was there previously and we reconnected and the rest is history from there.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

41 views and 2 posts????????????????????

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

I met Andre on my 3rd trip to Jamaica. I was seeing someone else who I now lovingly refer to as Jacka$$. I saw and/or met up with Andre and some other friends on 4 subsequent trips and talked to him and his friend, Richard, on the phone about once every week or two. In October of that year, I kind of got the ultimatum from Richard that I had to either date Andre or let him go cause I was breaking his heart. In November, I made my choice and went to see him.

The rest is history. We filed for the K-1 a year and a couple months later. Next month, we will be married 2.5 years.

41 views and 2 posts????????????????????

I tell ya! 3 "others" with no explanation.

Sorry, it took me a minute to condense my long story down a bit and still have it make sense.

Funny, how the only posts are about Andre's.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Okay, I will add a DJ to break the Andre chain, lol -

I was walking through the crowd at Amnesia, coming back from the bar when I felt someone touch my side - Byatch that I am, I shot an evil glare over my shoulder and kept moving - I spent all night avoiding men - it was the first night we had arrived and I was tired! Then as we were getting ready to leave, this really cute man approached me - guess who! He had also been the one that I gave the laser death glare too for touching me, lol - We were basically inseparable that trip - went all over the island, to Rebel Salute, etc.... sparks flew, but I still said I wasn't going there again - I came home, we talked, he kept pressing on when I was coming back - I avoided the subject,.............. then he bought me a ticket - the rest, is history.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I met hubby in July 03 when i went down on vacation with my best friend's mom to visit where she grew up (St.Elizabeth)...we planned this trip way in advance and my best friend was suppose to come but then she ended up getting knocked up... :P ....she was about 5 months so i still wanted to go down since i never been out of the country except to visit fam in Canada...My friend's grandmother has a house out there so we stayed there the entire trip and hubby lived in the same district...he is somehow related to my best friend's mom...he is not even sure how but all he knows is that his mom and my friend's grandmother have the same last name...he said if you live in the same district and your last name is the same as someone else than you have to assume you are related.... :wacko: ....so we hung out and he took me places to party and we had fun...I wasn't ready for any LDR since i was still going to school and my son was only 2 years old at that time...and the funds weren't there either...we kinda lost touch but i went back in July 07 with my friend's mom again and my best friend finally was able to make it and her daughter...my son was suppose to come too but he ended up having to go to summer school...we basically picked up where we left off and we started getting serious and we wanted a relationship together...So i decided to jump the broom and married hubby in Sept 30, 2007... :D .... Now we are almost done with this process and hopefully we kind finally live together as a real husband and wife should live... :thumbs:

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Timeline

Awwww...I hope so do, JGay.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

wow jgay..its been a LONG time coming sweetheart..did ya'll lose all contact those 4 years or had ya'll checked in on one another now and then.. that is what I am saying..if its meant to be, it will be!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I had an other, even though I knew of my SO pior to going to JA, we were just friends, we met face to face when I went for my grandmother's funeral, all my family was a nigh- night in the country so he came to pick me up from the airport.

~9/8/08 - I-129F sent VSC

~9/17/08 - NOA1 received[/color]

~9/22/08 - I29F approved

~9/26/08 - NOA 2 received

~10-01-08 - NVC processed petition

~10-03-08 - Packet 3 mailed

~10-15-08 - Packet 3 dropped off at embassy

~11-21-08 - Interview!

~11-21-2008- VISA APPROVED!!!

~12-9-08 - arrived-POE JFK

married on ~2-27-09-

===========================================

AOS

~3-13-09 Mailed AOS

~3-16-09 AOS received

~3-23-09 NOA1 received

~4-21-09 Biometrics appt

~3-31-09 Biometics Done!

~5/1/09 AP Received

~4/27/09 EAD order for production

~7/24/09 =AOS interview

~7/24/09 = GC approved pending completed vaccination record.

~8/27/09 = provided an updated vaccination record (hubby had to get another shot)

~9/08/09 = GC in Hand (360 days from filing k1)

Timeline
wow jgay..its been a LONG time coming sweetheart..did ya'll lose all contact those 4 years or had ya'll checked in on one another now and then.. that is what I am saying..if its meant to be, it will be!!!

the first year I would call him every so often and then it kinda stop that first year...and he is shy so he is not the one to keep "hunting" someone...so when i would ask him now why he would never call me back he said he didn't want me to feel like he was pestering me...he was 18 back then too so he pretty much didnt't think we would have anything serious....but its true...if its meant to be its meant to be...we both never saw this coming....

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Timeline

nice survey Yaads :)

Well, Kashi and I kind of grew up together. He used to come to the house in the mornings to wait for my brother and walk to school with his brothers while we lived in Kingston. I had no idea he was any kind of way interest in me. He's 2 yrs older than me so that would have been bad... :unsure: We moved to Portmore when I turned 13 and didn't see them for like a yr..one day some new people move in and guess who it was Kashi and his family. Like a young boy he used to always mess with me and me with my grown self asked him one night "WHY ARE U MESSING WITH ME!" HIS REPLY WAS "BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" ! I SAID 1st of all you don't know what love is :). We started "dating" and i left fot NY about 2 yrs later, we tried to keep the lines of communication open, but that didn't work. But after 9 yrs my sisters were in JA and he got in touch with me thru them. The night my phone rang I don't know where that feeling came from but I felt it was him. He asked to marry him over the phone in the summer 2004 I wasn't goin to JA til Jan 2005 but i knew i wanted to marry him and we were gonna get married, so I asked what kind of wedding he would like he said just the 2 of us..mi ask him if him mad..so we had a wedding of about 45 ppl in JA. BTW we couldn't wait so Kimora was conceived in Jan 2005 AFTER I BOUGHT DRESS :o so i had to go exchange my bra stuff for under my dress for just a strapless bra B) ..and we got approved August 2006 he arrived in the US August 2007 with a 10 yr greencard..and we're still going strong with chanllenges of course :)

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

Love the challenges comment, Kimmy. Found my self shaking my head in agreement while reading that.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

AWW kimmy.. u guys have loved each other FOREVER.. beautiful just BEAUTIFUL.. i always thought me and hubby didn't make it cuz we started out too young.. known each other since 15, glad there are others that prove us wrong.. :devil:

Big ups to you and kashi my gyal.. i hope your love continues to endure more years and more babies!!! :devil:

Timeline

THANKS QUANA...WE REALLY ARE IN LOVE..TODAY I STOPPED AT HIS JOB..THEY ASKED HIM TO WORK LATE AND HE HAD NO CASH ON HIM SO I HAD TO RUN AND GIVE HIM MONEY..HE GOES I FEEL BAD I CAN'T GIVE U A KISS...TOO MANY PEOPLE BOSSES ..JUST NEVER KNOW..WASN'T APPROPRIATE U KNOW..I LOVE HIM

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.