JonasMichaels

Am I still considered a U.S. citizen

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry, but I am getting confused... I am a u.s. born citizen but this year will have spent in total over 6 months out of the u.s. in other countries. Is that a problem? I have already sent off a k1 for my fiancee in Vietnam but am considering going to stay in Vietnam until her interview. Obviously if this will negate my status as a U.S. citizen, I won't do this. Thanks

Jonas

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Sorry, but I am getting confused... I am a u.s. born citizen but this year will have spent in total over 6 months out of the u.s. in other countries. Is that a problem? I have already sent off a k1 for my fiancee in Vietnam but am considering going to stay in Vietnam until her interview. Obviously if this will negate my status as a U.S. citizen, I won't do this. Thanks

Jonas

No problem. Born in the USA citizens can never "lose" their US Citizenship.

LPR status can be lost.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Jonas

LPR status can be lost.

unless he formally renounces it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jonas

LPR status can be lost.

Unless they take specific action to renounce it....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can live abroad as long as you want and still maintain your US citizenship. These are some of the reasons on how you can lose your US citizenship:

http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/article3.htm

http://www.newcitizen.us/losing.html

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Jonas

LPR status can be lost.

Which was the point of emphasising the word "lose".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to Webster

call your attention to 5,7, 9 & 18. A loss can be intentional as well as unintentional

1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.

2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa.

3. to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.

5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.

6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day.

7. to give up; forfeit the possession of: to lose a fortune at the gaming table.

8. to get rid of: to lose one's fear of the dark; to lose weight.

9. to bring to destruction or ruin (usually used passively): Ship and crew were lost.

10. to condemn to hell; damn.

11. to have slip from sight, hearing, attention, etc.: to lose him in the crowd.

12. to stray from or become ignorant of (one's way, directions, etc.): to lose one's bearings.

13. to leave far behind in a pursuit, race, etc.; outstrip: She managed to lose the other runners on the final lap of the race.

14. to use to no purpose; waste: to lose time in waiting.

15. to fail to have, get, catch, etc.; miss: to lose a bargain.

16. to fail to win (a prize, stake, etc.): to lose a bet.

17. to be defeated in (a game, lawsuit, battle, etc.): He has lost very few cases in his career as a lawyer.

18. to cause the loss of: The delay lost the battle for them.

19. to let (oneself) go astray, miss the way, etc.: We lost ourselves in the woods.

20. to allow (oneself) to become absorbed or engrossed in something and oblivious to all else: I had lost myself in thought.

21. (of a physician) to fail to preserve the life of (a patient).

22. (of a woman) to fail to be delivered of (a live baby) because of miscarriage, complications in childbirth, etc.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Jonas

Once your I-129f is approved, and before the interview, there are financial documents you must provide for her to take with her to the interview...can you do this while in Vietnam? Otherwise, your status as an American citizen never changes unless you renounce it.

Jonas

LPR status can be lost.

Which was the point of emphasising the word "lose".

The OP didnt say "lose" they said negate, not the same thing.

Synonyms of negate can be counteract, neutralize, nullify, abrogate, annihilate, annul, cancel, invalidate, set aside, vitiate, void, contradict

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I am thinking the problem is not being a citizen, its being a resident. Dont you either need an adress in the states or proof that you have plans to have an adress in the states?

2008-09-22: Mailed I-129f package.

2008-09-25: NOA1

2009-01-13: RFE

2009-02-17: NOA2

2009-02-25: NVC

2009-03-03: Package 3

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I am thinking the problem is not being a citizen, its being a resident. Dont you either need an adress in the states or proof that you have plans to have an adress in the states?

this is a good point ... but I do have a house/address in the u.s. still and still pay monthly on it. It's a waste of $$ but I miss my girl too much

Jonas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.