Aryadne e Kevin

Husband X Attorney X ME: huge crisis

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, Vj´s !!

Ok, I ´m facing a huge disagreement with my husband and my attorney: my husband is in CA and I am in RJ. In early january 2008, I mailed my husband with all of docs for starting a I-130. We decided to get an attorney because we were afraid of misunderstand or fail on the filling thing.

In march we got this law office and, even with the filled application on hands, the attorney´s assistant didn´t show herself an assortive person, leading to a whole month of preparing the form, which was alerady prepared by me 2 motnhs before.

Anyways, my case was started in early april and right after we got our NOA1.

In the beggining of june, with the help of all of you, i ´ve found out that, since I am married, I could try to go for 2 differente visas I-130 and I-129. So, immediatlly, I asked the attorney, why I was just filling I-130. She said that it was because she DIDN´T BELIEVE THAT I WAS ABLE TO GET IT. Why she never informed us about all of the option..... Can u believe it!::: :bonk:

So, I was so pissed about it, and got so much confused, and time went by so quickly, and at the end of july, we got our NOA2. There was a lot excitement...However, a week later, talking to another friend from VJ, we decided to get a NVC case number calling NVC, since my attorny doesn´t talk or update me very often. Then, what a surprise! We got a case number and along I got so furious with this attorney... no call, no interest, no quick feedback. Gosh, How come that happens!!

So, I emailed the attorney again, asking about the case number, and, surprise, she said there wasn´t yet..... :devil: I informed her myself about the case number, requesting the list of documents... in order to move faster, including tryied to chat with her about the James Shortcuts.... The answer was: " well, we are not informing you the list of documents, because NVC didn´t send the package yet, and also, we are having problems with our scan , so that we are mailing to your husband the list afterwards."

Ok, I persuade all them (including mu husband) that I was going to gather all of my docs in Brazil in this meanwhile, since I believe it will help a lot, and after giving her a Class of knowledge about this visa procedure, she got pissed and threat to stop working on my case.

All in all, my husband is against me, he said I am irritating the attorney and I must take it easy.

Am I wrong to feel underestimated by the attorney and by my husband.... Wouldnt be a sign of my husband´s personality... Am I wrong to get control of my life like that....

Please, help me.

Aryadne

Met first time: 07/23/2003 in Rio de Janeiro (1 week having fun!)

Dating: july 03 to dec 2003

Engage: jan 2004 to jun 2007

Ary living in US: 2004-2005

Jun 2007 - wedding planns back!

oct 2007 - legal marriage

nov 2007 - wedding party with our whole family

Ary graduates: dec 2007

Visa Journey 2008

April 5th: I130 sent

April 15th: NOA1

MAY: HONEY MOON IN CABO SAN LUCAS MX

JUl: NOA2

Aug: Packet 3 documents gather in BR and US and medical test done

AUg: paied fees I-864 and IV Bill

Oct: Packet 3 sent

Nov: RFE

Nov: NVC case completed

INTERVIEW: JANUARY 9th = APPROVED!

Visa Delivered: JANUARY 14TH ( 3 working days after interview)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

sounds as if u can handle this between the two of you without the lawyer, what good have they been to you so far, i would dismiss them

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello, Vj´s !!

Ok, I ´m facing a huge disagreement with my husband and my attorney: my husband is in CA and I am in RJ. In early january 2008, I mailed my husband with all of docs for starting a I-130. We decided to get an attorney because we were afraid of misunderstand or fail on the filling thing.

In march we got this law office and, even with the filled application on hands, the attorney´s assistant didn´t show herself an assortive person, leading to a whole month of preparing the form, which was alerady prepared by me 2 motnhs before.

In the beggining of june, with the help of all of you, i ´ve found out that, since I am married, I could try to go for 2 differente visas I-130 and I-129. So, immediatlly, I asked the attorney, why I was just filling I-130. She said that it was because she DIDN´T BELIEVE THAT I WAS ABLE TO GET IT. Why she never informed us about all of the option..... Can u believe it!::: :bonk:

So, I was so pissed about it, and got so much confused, and time went by so quickly, and at the end of july, we got our NOA2. There was a lot excitement...However, a week later, talking to another friend from VJ, we decided to get a NVC case number calling NVC, since my attorny doesn´t talk or update me very often. Then, what a surprise! We got a case number and along I got so furious with this attorney... no call, no interest, no quick feedback. Gosh, How come that happens!!

So, I emailed the attorney again, asking about the case number, and, surprise, she said there wasn´t yet..... :devil: I informed her myself about the case number, requesting the list of documents... in order to move faster, including tryied to chat with her about the James Shortcuts.... The answer was: " well, we are not informing you the list of documents, because NVC didn´t send the package yet, and also, we are having problems with our scan , so that we are mailing to your husband the list afterwards."

Ok, I persuade all them (including mu husband) that I was going to gather all of my docs in Brazil in this meanwhile, since I believe it will help a lot, and after giving her a Class of knowledge about this visa procedure, she got pissed and threat to stop working on my case.

All in all, my husband is against me, he said I am irritating the attorney and I must take it easy.

Am I wrong to feel underestimated by the attorney and by my husband.... Wouldnt be a sign of my husband´s personality... Am I wrong to get control of my life like that....

Please, help me.

Aryadne

omgosh dont even get me started on attorneys mine is a joke and dont know even half of what i have learned here on vj i think at least in my case that if ur not proactive in ur own case that it can be and is slowed down by attorneys that only collect the money and take care of anyone that has hired them .........ur not their priority because they have other clients........as for ur husband ...........welll sometimes men and some women believe what attorneys tell them because they are suppose to have the education and knowledge about about all of this and i dont think it is a sign of ur husbands character or personality but more a fact of him putting his faith in the attorney he has hired and the money he has spent on it making him believe that the attorney is more knowledgeable :whistle:

sara

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
" well, we are not informing you the list of documents, because NVC didn´t send the package yet, and also, we are having problems with our scan , so that we are mailing to your husband the list afterwards."

Look at my timeline, I have been approved on June but I am still waiting, we paid our bills online, and I have almost the exact same situation as you, just that my husband understand that the attorney is stalling our case, we have other financial issues so we are actually comfortable getting a November date, so we aren't in much of a rush (hubby had to pay for joint sponsor and also he will fly to india, if visa gets deny he plans to stay in india for 4 months, so a lot of planning to do).

Attorneys won't go through james shortcut nor will they encourage online payment, they will wait to hear from NVC and will only forward you the case, I suggest you have an adult discussion with your husband, no bickering or no tantrums, just may be show him this forum itself, your attorney will have to do what you say or you can always complain them at their BAR. So basically prepare yourself with what all you need to do, things like PCC and collecting certified copies, translating certified copies if necessary, make sure your husband collects his tax transcripts and things like that.

Just I see its more of a matter of you and yoru husband than the attorney itself. No offence but usually men do take it easy and some aren't really comfortable with all the legal hoopla. While talking to men/women like these, you got to make sure you don't impose all the instructions at them at one go, I am not sure what your mode of communication is, but say if you spend around 3 hours every day talking, just spend only 15 30 minutes about immigration and not more than that, just tell him what you would like him to do and be supportive of it, assure him that you do know what you are talking about and at least for you immigration isn't as hard it looks like to be.

Just ask your husband to help you with this process, let him collect the forms for AOS from his side and you do your collecting, so that you will be a bit ahead of the game when your attorney does get papers from NVC.

Good luck with the journey :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Hello, Vj´s !!

Ok, I persuade all them (including mu

's husband) that I was going to gather all of my docs in Brazil in this meanwhile, since I believe it will help a lot, and after giving her a Class of knowledge about this visa procedure, she got pissed and threat to stop working on my case.

Please, help me.

Aryadne

We didn't use a lawyer, but my husband seeks advice from the congress aide who consults an immigration lawyer from time to time.

MY husband was initially skeptical and afraid of taking short cuts, insisted he was going to wait for hardcopy from USCIS and NVC to response the next step. He only started to cooperate with me when the congress aide asked him "where did your wife learn about all this? did she has a lawyer in her country?" :-)

Leah

Edited by Todd-Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

70% of world's attorneys are here in the US.

Many of them are garbage and useless except some that are really like what they do and do it just to help someone else not charge them money. We are victams of this and because we sort of trust them and think they do know the laws but they don't know Sh*t.

Unfortunatly, we paid and expect to have things done but that is a mirage in desert and never going to happen.

I think you should solve this problem with your husband and use that money you are wasting on a lawyer (lier) for your future vacation. They have probably charged you husband about $3000. That is a shame.

NVC process is very straight forward, with help of all good members of this wonderful forum which they don't hesitate to help you in any kind and direction you should drop you lawyer. They won't do any good to you but only keep you case into a black hole.

Good Luck

LingChe's ShortCut

|--IR-1 Graduate--|For my Wife-Done 11/21/2008

|--IR-5 Graduate--|For Parents-Done

|--Citizenship for Spouse

Field Office: San Diego,CA

11/xx/2008 GC Rcvd

10/26/2011 N-400 mailed EX to AZ

10/27/2011 Priority Date

10/31/2011 Text Message received

11/01/2011 Check Cashed

11/07/2011 Finger Print letter mailed

11/09/2011 Finger Print letter Received for 11/30/2011

11/14/2011 Finger Print Done(walk-in)

11/28/2011 In Line For Interview

12/09/2011 Interview Scheduled

01/18/2012 Interview Date

02/22/2012 Oath Ceremony

YES WE CAN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

omgosh dont even get me started on attorneys mine is a joke and dont know even half of what i have learned here on vj i think at least in my case that if ur not proactive in ur own case that it can be and is slowed down by attorneys that only collect the money and take care of anyone that has hired them .........ur not their priority because they have other clients........as for ur husband ...........welll sometimes men and some women believe what attorneys tell them because they are suppose to have the education and knowledge about about all of this and i dont think it is a sign of ur husbands character or personality but more a fact of him putting his faith in the attorney he has hired and the money he has spent on it making him believe that the attorney is more knowledgeable :whistle:

I totally agry,

as I said before, Attorneys are waste of money and your nerves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you'll get your interview date soon and this will be over

My story was the same 2 times my case was returned because attorney didn't fill it in the right way

I knew all updates from USCIS and NVC before my attorney, and he never got curious if I passed that interview...

Please save your money and happiness, Don't hire lawers unless completely necessary, and if you'll decide so, make sure this person has GOOD references

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

Marriage : 2006-11-02

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-11

2008-05-16 CR-1 visa issued

2008-05-20 recieved visa

2008-05-31 I arrived at JFK (took me 1hour and a half to be out of the airport with a stamp in my passport)

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

2010-4-12 Bio (done early 3-29)

2010-6-3 card production ordered

2010-6-19 10 year GC recieved

N-400

2011-3-28 application sent via express mail to LEWISVILLE TX SC

2011-3-29 application recieved

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am soooo sorry you have to go through this with your lawyer. I wouldn't blame your husband on this one because I'm sure he's letting the lawyer take care of it thinking she was competent enough to do the job. You probably feel like your hands are tied because you're so far away and there isn't much you can do at this point, especially if your husband is not cooperating with you.

But this is what I think. Yes, you're absolutely right about feeling frustrated and things should've been done differently. But the thing is, your case is already at the NVC and will get completed in a few months or even faster if you're quicker than your lawyer. Once it's completed you can kiss her good bye!!!

Good luck!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hello, Vj´s !!

Please, help me.

Aryadne

No you are not wrong...you are right but you are over reacting. Calm down. Have a diet COKE and watch the Olympics. Dont be hyper this will not do any good to you. Go out for a walk and talk to yourself what is right about you. Or just close your eyes and take a nap.

God bless you and be peace with you.

05-26-2008 Marriage

06-23-2008 Leaving my baby

07-29-2008 I-130 to Chicago lock box

07-30-2008 CSC received I-130

08-01-2008 NOA1

08-05-2008 Touched

11-25-2008 NOA2.

NVC journey begins

12-01-2008 NVC received

12-05-2008 NVC sent visa fee

12-23-2008 NVC received visa fee

12-dd-2008 AOS package received

12-dd-2008 AOS package sent to NVC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I totally understand your frustrations. Show your husband some the timelines on VJ of those finishing NVC in one month before they even get the initial hard copy mailing from the NVC by mail.

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hello, Vj´s !!

Please, help me.

Aryadne

i would fire the attorney...looks like u know more than she does..dont waste your money and complete the case urself...there is nothing u cant do..good luck!

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Hi!

I had to "wake up" my husband, tell him not to trust the all the "official" information. It was hard, we had some arguments, I had to show him this forum and tell him that we can't 100% trust lawyers, what they (don't) tell you when you call USCIS, etc . They are earning a lot of money, and when there's money... That's why I think it's really important to read other people's real experiences and advice on this.

I think you're right, and that at this point you could be your own lawyer!

Good luck!

Abraço

(RJ... que inveja!)

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

There's an old saying...

"An inexperienced attorney can make a simple case last a long time.

An experienced attorney can make it last even longer".

Lawyers are SUPPOSED to have a fiduciary responsibility to you.

That means they owe you confidentiality, loyalty to your best interest ahead of theirs, and obedience to your instructions (as long as it's legal).

Sadly, many lawyers do not uphold their fiduciary responsibility.

If your husband insists on thinking you're wrong, and the lawyer must be right...do as others have stated, show him this forum, and also explain

to him what your attorney's fiduciary responsibilities are, and that they are not meeting them.

Don't hold it against your husband that he appears to be on the lawyers side. As others have stated, he's invested money into the lawyer, but also he's

invested trust into the lawyer. I'm sure your husband is just as afraid of things being screwed up as you are, and it's not at all strange that he

wants to see some fruit from the money, time, and faith that he's put into the lawyer.

THAT SAID, it's apparent to all of us here, that YOU are more capable of handling the case than the lawyer is.

For those that like to read...here's ONE of my bad lawyer stories...

First we were advised by friends that we could do direct consular filing (DCF) at the US Embassy in Tokyo.

Bad advice from good people. Since I didn't live in Japan for 6 months, we could not do DCF. Wasted time, and money.

A friend had been saying, "Go see my immigration lawyer, he's great, he's magical".

So instead of filing immediately after the declined DCF, we waited almost 2 months for an appointment with our friend's immigration lawyer.

Met with the lawyer and of course there is no magic. He took $200 bucks for about a 1/2 hour's worth of talking to tell us,

"All you can do is file and wait".

Well, thanks a lot.

Of course he was happy to take our case if we put down a $2500 retainer.

But I knew in my heart that we could do this on our own...already had all the papers filled out for DCF anyway.

So today we're waiting for our NVC number, already have the DS 3032 ready, have the DS 230 ready, and I'm finishing up the I-864.

By the time the IV bill is generated, we should already have police certificates, birth certificate, and medical done.

If we waited on a lawyer to look out for our best interest, I'm sure things would be going MUCH slower.

There ARE cases that NEED an attorney, but if it's a simple case and you're well versed in English, and you can follow directions...you don't need one.

Best of luck to everyone.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.