Marlita

C-Section or Not

155 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just curious,

Why is it that women who choose to have a c-section deemed selfish? What's wrong with having a c-section if the mother doesn’t want to have a tore ####### or want to have the baby out by specific time or might be afraid of a long labor? It is the mother body is it not? So what is the different of natural and c-section to the child if we take the mother out of the picture?

I don’t have any kid and don’t plan on having one (might change my mind but seems very unlikely) so this is just out of curiosity question.

It's selfish if the choice for a c-section is made on the basis of convenience. C-sections are overall riskier for the child (and mother too). Every labor and delivery is unique and once it's underway choices have to be made, but to make that choice beforehand is just plain irresponsible. Doctors should be choosing the safest route in everything they do, not the easiest or most convenient.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My sister was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia when she was 7 months pregnant and had to have a C-section. Her doctor was the best, the baby was healthy afterwards as well as my sister. She had very little pain and you can hardly see her scar, you really need to get very close to her skin so you can see it. Her recovery time was in record time and she said it was the easiest thing ever.

As for choosing it over having a traditional birth, it's a personal choice. I've never had a baby but after hearing the horror stories of the people who had a traditional delivery vs. seeing first had how easy my sister had it, I'm all for it. I don't care if a whole bunch of women say it's selfish and all that non-sense, it's my body and the sooner I can recover and little pain I go through, the faster I can take care of my child.

Here's to freedom of choice!!! :dancing:

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

The risks of dying in a c/s are higher than in a vaginal birth. the babies lungs are not squeezed enough or might not even be ripe enough when it is born via c/s which can result in respiratory distress. Not seldom are c/s babies the ones that need to have a breething tube or at least their lungs need to be suctioned out. I have read books that recoomend that, if you do choose a c/s at least wait until you are in labor so the child gets all those lung ripening 'get-you-ready-for-the-world' hormones.

Then, there are risks of blood loss, hysterectomy, infection of the scar, you can't really lift anything (not even your legs) after a c/s. I didn't find a comfortable postition to nurse etc...I just think that, why would I want to chose a surgery if I can get my child out another way? NObody said it was easy or even 'orgasmic' (some moms claim that apparently), there's a reason they call it LABOR. Been there, done that.

Just to add. Planned c/s are supposed to be easier since you don't get all exhausted in labor first. I went through 24 hours, didn't get a thing to eat and I was just plain exhausted.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I worked in O.B I saw doctors scheduling sections for THEIR convinence. Sections should be emergency basis only, or if the baby is big. My daughter was 10lbs and it was a hellofa delivery. I should've had a section! Broke her collar bone adn I had to have surgery a few months later to fix what she messed up during delivery. Also, c-section babies are at a higher risk for respiratory infections.

People ask me this question everyday. In the early stages of pregnancy, I used to say C-section because I was so scared of the pain associated with a natural birth. However now....after being pregnant for what seems like forever. I just want her out, natural is fine with me. I'm pretty sure natural and C-section both have their pro's and cons but the 9 months of pain and aches that is associated with pregnancy is no picnic either.

However she wants to come is how she will come! The way I look at it, you either deal with the pain before (natural) or after (c-section).

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

Like I said. I used to beat me up over that c/s (you know my early posts in the Baby Corner) and other moms telling me I took the easy way out. I can totally understand why some women feel less of a mother because they had a c/s (usually the unplanned c/s). Now, nine months into the pregnancy and 16 months since the surgery I'm a lot better. I have actually read books on c/s which made me feel a little bit better. I guess you deal with it all your life but it gets easier and children are a great way of distraction :thumbs::lol:

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
The risks of dying in a c/s are higher than in a vaginal birth. the babies lungs are not squeezed enough or might not even be ripe enough when it is born via c/s which can result in respiratory distress. Not seldom are c/s babies the ones that need to have a breething tube or at least their lungs need to be suctioned out. I have read books that recoomend that, if you do choose a c/s at least wait until you are in labor so the child gets all those lung ripening 'get-you-ready-for-the-world' hormones.

Then, there are risks of blood loss, hysterectomy, infection of the scar, you can't really lift anything (not even your legs) after a c/s. I didn't find a comfortable postition to nurse etc...I just think that, why would I want to chose a surgery if I can get my child out another way? NObody said it was easy or even 'orgasmic' (some moms claim that apparently), there's a reason they call it LABOR. Been there, done that.

Just to add. Planned c/s are supposed to be easier since you don't get all exhausted in labor first. I went through 24 hours, didn't get a thing to eat and I was just plain exhausted.

Ahh, I see. Thanks!

People ask me this question everyday. In the early stages of pregnancy, I used to say C-section because I was so scared of the pain associated with a natural birth. However now....after being pregnant for what seems like forever. I just want her out, natural is fine with me. I'm pretty sure natural and C-section both have their pro's and cons but the 9 months of pain and aches that is associated with pregnancy is no picnic either.

However she wants to come is how she will come! The way I look at it, you either deal with the pain before (natural) or after (c-section).

Yea.. that's one of the reason why I dont want children.. I'm a chicken when it comes to pain :blush:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

My wife's due date is the 14th (not this monday but next). The baby weighs 7 lbs and 3 ounces as of this pass monday. Unless something goes wrong, she is having vaginal birth.

Timeline
My wife's due date is the 14th (not this monday but next). The baby weighs 7 lbs and 3 ounces as of this pass monday. Unless something goes wrong, she is having vaginal birth.

Don't believe the ultrasound weight guesstimate too much. It might be right but it might be more than a pound off. Good luck. My due date is August 14th.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had 4 vaginal birth, My first son was induce by breaking my water i hit labor so fast the doctor was going to go home cause he thought i would be awhile. Now i also believe that labor was worse then the other 3. I went all natural with all 3 outta 4 the first one i got demeral i was told later by the nurse that my doctor gives less then most caue it can make the mother and baby sleepy. Well needless to say i figured it didnt really do much so didnt use it for the others.

My second one didnt give me any choice he came too fast, didnt even sign the consent forms for the doctor to deliver him till afterwards. Well baby #4 was my tough one he had the umbilical cord around his neck 3 times and didnt drop fully plus he was facing the wrong way(head was side ways, making bigger). The doctor had to turn his head and then i was able to push him out still facing the wrong way, facing up not down. Then being to stop pushing cause of the cord it needed to be cut. Tons of stiches later, but I was able to move around normaly once i rested a bit. I would never want a c/s unless it was absalutly needed. But compared to some my labor and deliveries are cake walks.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Other risks for the mother include the following:

* Infection. The uterus or nearby pelvic organs such as the bladder or kidneys can become infected.

* Increased blood loss. Blood loss on the average is about twice as much with cesarean birth as with vaginal birth. However, blood transfusions are rarely needed during a cesarean.

* Decreased bowel function. The bowel sometimes slows down for several days after surgery, resulting in distention, bloating and discomfort.

* Respiratory complications. General anesthesia can sometimes lead to pneumonia.

* Longer hospital stay and recovery time. Three to five days in the hospital is the common length of stay, whereas it is less than one to three days for a vaginal birth.

* Reactions to anesthesia. The mother's health could be endangered by unexpected responses (such as blood pressure that drops quickly) to anesthesia or other medications during the surgery.

* Risk of additional surgeries. For example, hysterectomy, bladder repair, etc.

In cesarean birth, the possible risks to the baby include the following:

* Premature birth. If the due date was not accurately calculated, the baby could be delivered too early.

* Breathing problems. Babies born by cesarean are more likely to develop breathing problems such as transient tachypnea (abnormally fast breathing during the first few days after birth).

* Low Apgar scores. Babies born by cesarean sometimes have low Apgar scores. The low score can be an effect of the anesthesia and cesarean birth, or the baby may have been in distress to begin with. Or perhaps the baby was not stimulated as he or she would have been by vaginal birth.

* Fetal injury. Although rare, the surgeon can accidentally nick the baby while making the uterine incision.

I would never choose these risks if I didn't have to. And btw my son who was born by csection had frequent bronchitis as an infant, and to this day has reactive airway disease (a sometimes dangerous form of asthma that comes on without warning for him...these could be the result of his method of birth as respiratory problems are more common among children born by c/s. I would never have chosen this, but both our lives were at risk due to placenta previa).

Edited by CBR

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Good luck and congratulations!!!

When my son was born, I was very young. I opted for no drugs, totally natural. I was in labor for 12 hours and I _do_ remember the pain :) When I got pregnant with my daughter, I said "put down that I want an epidural" and my doctor just laughed at me and said we had time for that!

I ended up going into labor with my daughter at 4 months. It was one of the scariest damn times of my life. I was put on medicine to stop contractions and spent the next 5 months on bed rest. When she was 2 weeks over due the doctor stopped the meds and ended up inducing my labor so he could deliver me before he went on vacation! Some people criticized me because I scheduled my induction that way.

It is up to the parents, IMO. And who are we to judge?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Natural delivery for me; I had a friend who had a C-section last year and the stitches opened up on her. I pray for a natural birth - no episiotomy (sp?)

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
NObody said it was easy or even 'orgasmic' (some moms claim that apparently), there's a reason they call it LABOR. Been there, done that.

I remember in college, my single, childless, middle aged, ultrafeminist linguistics professor got into a fight with a student over the use of that word to refer to childbirth. A student who had just given vaginal birth about two weeks ago. It didn't go over well, as I wished I had popcorn. :whistle:

In a similar vein, I remember that I was confused by why you called a Kreißsaal a Kreißsaal. I knew what a saal was but what did kreiss mean? It wasn't obviously referring a circle. Then I looked it up and it came from the verb 'kreißen' an obsolete word for 'to be in labor'. Ok, well, why would that go out of style? A few months later, I was speaking with a woman from Beligum about it who spoke Flemish. She said 'kreissen' in Flemish means 'to scream'. Ah...ha...