Marlita

C-Section or Not

155 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello All,

So I've been hearing alot about people getting C-Sections to have their babies rather than the "traditional" way. I always thought C-Sections were the worse thing you could do because they were so evasive and scarring and harder to recover from etc.. But I've been hearing more and more of woman getting these C-Sections and actually electing to have them. Is this safe and have the times changed from when C-S were considered such a bad thing? What are your thoughts? Which would you choose? If you had C-S vs "traditional" which would your prefer?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

In my opinion, it is going to suck either way to get a baby out. After rooming with a c-section, I would say that I was slightly better off, even though a vaginal delivery left me a complete mental wreck, uninterested in caring for my daughter with a ####### full of stitches. My daughter broke her collarbone on the way out.

Despite the bad experience, I would not choose to have a c-section. Instead, I would choose to be induced so I could have an epidural instead of being shot down like last time.

I am not going to judge or care what women do either way when it comes to this topic. Giving birth is no stroll through the park, c-section or not. Pick your poison, in my opinion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Here in the US it is the doctor that pushed the c section on woman so he can complete cases during regular hours. Most natural labors happen in the middle of the night. So to make things fit his schedule he schedules the c sections. I think it is terrible personally. It is worse way for the baby to be born and lead to a longer more painful recovery for the woman.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

i'm a midwife myself, so a bit biased on the subject... but i've seen sylvia_n_joseph's quote to be true in many hospitals (i worked 3 months in guatemala, and they liked to perform c-sections om woman around midnight so they (physicians on call) could all go to sleep, it was the worst). belgium isnt as bad, but i have similar experiences (a lot depends on the OB/gyn) . no experience on the US, but from what i've heared there's a big variety hospital/MD based...

but to stay on the topic. i would never, i'm too aware of the risks and complications that accur during c-sections. i have the feeling a lot of people underestimate the risks of surgery...

i'm hoping for an all natural birth, no c-section (unless needed ofcourse), no epidural... and preferably in a hot tub... :)

Here in the US it is the doctor that pushed the c section on woman so he can complete cases during regular hours. Most natural labors happen in the middle of the night. So to make things fit his schedule he schedules the c sections. I think it is terrible personally. It is worse way for the baby to be born and lead to a longer more painful recovery for the woman.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well my opinion having been through it....i was enduced do to pre-eclampsia....they tried several times to ripen my cervix....gave me as much pitocin as they could and my contractions were not that strong at all....they were then able to break my water which got everything going and well as my blood pressure...so i got a epidural or i could have starterd having seisurez....so i opted for the epidural....i was in labor for 2 days and i only got to 3cms....so I HAD to get a c-section...and another thing her head was too big it was already 15 cms big and the sides of her head were already fussed together and couldn't colapse to get down the birth canal....so in my case i needed a c-section and i had the worst kind the "classical" because she never dropped.....the Dr's at least at the hospital i was in told me they have to give progression time...but when the body is showing something is wrong then they need to step in.....

It shouldn't even be a "choice"! From my own personal experience I'm astounded at the number of women who are asking for this procedure!! THEY are the ones asking the Dr.'s! Why? Well, several have told me...so that they can pick the day and time, so that they won't have to have a "stretched" #######...so they don't have to go through labour. UGH! I had 2 c-sections because I HAD to. I HAD no choice! I WISH I could have had vaginal births. Why anyone would be given a choice or have it done unless it was medically necessary?

Edited to add that I fully support midwifery! What a wonderful profession marash!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

my c-section was to save my son life.....no debate. When your life or the babys life is in danger or things are not progressing, there is no discussion. You do it, and to be honest, the healing was not bad at all for me

Edited by Chrissy25

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
It shouldn't even be a "choice"! From my own personal experience I'm astounded at the number of women who are asking for this procedure!! THEY are the ones asking the Dr.'s! Why? Well, several have told me...so that they can pick the day and time, so that they won't have to have a "stretched" #######...so they don't have to go through labour. UGH! I had 2 c-sections because I HAD to. I HAD no choice! I WISH I could have had vaginal births. Why anyone would be given a choice or have it done unless it was medically necessary?

Edited to add that I fully support midwifery! What a wonderful profession marash!

I often wonder if my overall experience would have been improved had I had a c-section. Sorry, but vaginal birth does not equal an awesome experience. I am sorry you didn't get the birth you want, but let's not wax too romantic on a physical process that has often been known to kill women and babies. My daughter broke her bone coming out. I couldn't care for her because I was a complete disaster. I have an awesome large scar (tear, not a cut!) marring my womanly bits. Birth without the benefit of pain relief was one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When i had kids it was not a (choice) which u perfer, but more what is right for the circumstances at the drs suggestion. I would assume natural in most cases to be the best, after all thats what the body is design for but in many cases c section is required to save lifes not for convience sake

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I had a vaginal delivary to a 9lb 21inch boy...got an epidural but it never worked...i was in labor for 14 hours and pushed for 2 hours..and i can say, it was easy, it hurt, but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...i had 16 stitches and was out shopping 48 hours after i had him...so my answer is definitly a v-birth...unless for some reason my health or the health of the baby was comprimised, then i would definitly have a csection

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Hello All,

So I've been hearing alot about people getting C-Sections to have their babies rather than the "traditional" way. I always thought C-Sections were the worse thing you could do because they were so evasive and scarring and harder to recover from etc.. But I've been hearing more and more of woman getting these C-Sections and actually electing to have them. Is this safe and have the times changed from when C-S were considered such a bad thing? What are your thoughts? Which would you choose? If you had C-S vs "traditional" which would your prefer?

I had to have a c-section. My son was breach and HUGE! 10lbs 9oz-- My pre pregnancy weight ws 125lbs - I am small built and it was the ONLY way he was "getting out" without harm to him.

The scarring dissappeared ( no visable scar at all now), and yes the recovery was quite long, I was still AD in the USAF at the time thanks to their work out program & healthy eating, I managed to return to pre pregnany weight within 6 months ( I was HUGE at the time of delivery, but it was all maily fluid, thank God).

Everyone at the time was " Oh, I am soooooooooo sorry you have to have a c-section, you must be sooooooooooo dissappointed and upset...blah de blah..." I just looked at my HUGE bump and thought " Oh my God-thank goodness for c-sections......" really, in my case it really was the safest way for my son. Natural birth would have been dangerous for him because of his size, my small build and his breach position, but everyone is different, circumstances are different and in my case, the decision is made based on the safety of my baby first and me.

If I could have had a natural delivery, I think I would not have CHOOSEN a c-section, but I had no choice. My son's well-being was the most important thing.

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had a traditional birth. Broke my hip and had a pelvic separation and still ended up with more stitches than Frankensteins Monster "down there" from the episiotomy.

I can't have a natural birth anymore, so number 2 will have to be a c-section. I'd definitely prefer having babies the traditional way, but if the circumstances don't allow that, I'm ok with c-section. I can't believe how a healthy person would choose a c-section because they think it's the "easy way out" (sooo wrong)

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

I'd never PICK a C-section. Obviously the health of mom and baby comes first, but why choose a major surgery that has a higher rate of infection and death just for convenience sake? Huge difference between choosing it and needing it.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
I'd never PICK a C-section. Obviously the health of mom and baby comes first, but why choose a major surgery that has a higher rate of infection and death just for convenience sake? Huge difference between choosing it and needing it.

:thumbs:

Exactly. I would never have CHOSEN it. The determining factor for me was the health of my son and me.

Are there really people that do it for " convenience"? That's messed up, if you ask me.

edit-typos ( half asleep here)

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---