KJS

Proof of being unmarried

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance and I had an interesting and frustrating experience today with his interview at the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The agent was preoccupied with the fact that I (the woman) am older than him and that I make very good money. He ended up not approving the visa, but requesting that he go to his home state and get a registered certificate that he is not married.

This is not a problem, just wish we would have known earlier because now he has to go back to his home state, get the document, and make another appointment to come back and stand in the horrible lines in Juarez.

Is this something anyone else has had requested? I have used the very helpful visa journey guidelines throughout the process, but don't recall seeing this ever mentioned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
My fiance and I had an interesting and frustrating experience today with his interview at the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The agent was preoccupied with the fact that I (the woman) am older than him and that I make very good money. He ended up not approving the visa, but requesting that he go to his home state and get a registered certificate that he is not married.

This is not a problem, just wish we would have known earlier because now he has to go back to his home state, get the document, and make another appointment to come back and stand in the horrible lines in Juarez.

Is this something anyone else has had requested? I have used the very helpful visa journey guidelines throughout the process, but don't recall seeing this ever mentioned.

Im sorry to hear this, i havent seen it either in any posts ive read. Good luck next interview.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've never heard of that. They didn't ask us for that when we had our interview.

I'm sorry they're putting you through all of this. I saw your other post about the waiver. It seems like that would be more of a concern for them. Maybe that made them more skeptical?

again, that's terrible. I'm sorry.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

That's horrible, but I know that situation myself. I am an American citizen and was visiting my husband in Germany. We married there, but that took about 2 months before I was even allowed to. I, too, was told I needed a certificate saying that I was single and able to marry. In order to get that, my husband and I drove from Bremen to Berlin (about 4 hours away) to the US Consulate. I got there extra early, gave my oath that I was single, signed, gave up 23EUR and I was out. The whole process to about 10 minutes and costed over 200EUR (rental car and gas) for the piece of paper.

I believe he could obtain the document at the Consulate in Mexico. I got mine at the US Consulate in Berlin, Germany). Give it a try, unless he's already back in the States.

Edited by przy
blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This kind of request would be based on specific circumstances, not likely predictable in advance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

If there is a Registro Civil in Mexico, this is the place to get the Certification the Consulate asked for. The Registro Civil is usually located at the Municipal Building.

I hope it all gets sorted out!

Good luck!

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think only other people who have gone through or are going through the process can appreciate how stressful it can be. Of course, our hopes were up to be coming to the US together - especially for our 18 month old daughter - but we have to take one more step.

Wish us luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think only other people who have gone through or are going through the process can appreciate how stressful it can be. Of course, our hopes were up to be coming to the US together - especially for our 18 month old daughter - but we have to take one more step.

Wish us luck!

Sorry to hear you went through all of this, but USCIS website clearly saying that you need to prove that both of you can be legally and able to get married within 90 days. In this case, clearly, you need to obtain a single (unmarried) certificate from your city or town of your fiance(e) country. Also, maybe your package is not strong or sufficient enough to prove that the relationship between you and your fiance(e) is real. For example, US consulate needs these documents: a letter of intend and legally able to get marry, letter to each other, phone calls you make to each other, financial support to your fiance(e) while ongoing relationship, proof of meeting, engagement party/letter, plane ticket, pictures, etc.

Some coutries are tough to prove that you were either single or married, unlike the US where every marriage has a record, so a simple document or eye witness document from your village or head of village/county that you're single is good and sufficient enough. Hope other VJ filers can learn from this.

Some countries (like Costa Rica) require a "single certificate". It's a government-issued document that says you are single and free to marry. But in our case, it was clearly requested on the packet 3 checklist.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

All our guys in Morocco have to bring this at interview...its just standard procedure for K1

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

Usually, if a document is issued by a competent authority it does not need to be notarized. It is already considered an authentic document because it was issued by an authority (Civil Registrar).

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

Timeline
It sounds to me like they doubt the relationship is real so let's see if they give him the visa after he produces this document.

I wonder why they asked him to submit a certificado de soltería, if they were doubting the relationship itself, not his civil status.

Did they ask him to submit more evidence of ongoing relationship?

Edited by eric_and_teresa

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My fiancee was very worried because her notarized certificate of being single wasn't going to come before we file the K1 Petition. I kept telling that I did not think we needed it for the I-129F. It wasn't until I told her that no such thing exists in the US, that there is no certificate of being single, that she finally "got" that it wouldn't be necessary for this step. (now later on, at the interview I think it will good that she got hers)

It just blew her mind that such a thing didn't exist here. She kept saying, "But how do you prove that you can get married."

"I don't know, you just swear that you can I guess."

Ha ha. (of course I'm sure background checks alleviate some of that concern on the governments part)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Denver CO

Date Filed : 2008-12-04

NOA Date : 2008-12-11

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2009-01-06

Interview Date :

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.