DeadPoolX

Suicide

Suicide  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should people have the right to commit suicide?

• Yes - there should be absolutely no restrictions on this; an individual's mind and body is their own.
    • Maybe - it depends on the circumstances involved (terminal illness vs severe depression).
    • No - suicide is the "coward's way out" and, depending on your belief system, might be a "moral sin" as well.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm unsure how I feel about this matter.
  2. 2. Dr. Jack Kevorkian: Angel of Mercy or Angel of Death?

• Mercy - he was helping terminal ill patients die peacefully, with their dignity attached, which is what they requested.
    • Death - he was taking advantage of the sick (and their families) to conduct his own experiments on them, while breaking the law by murdering his patients.
    • Both - he was neither selfless nor selfish in his task; while he did attempt to help others who suffered, it's possible he did influence ill patients and their families to do what he wished.
    • Neither - his motives, methods and patients's wants are all too complex to break down into such a simple statement.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm either unsure what to think or I lack the overall knowledge to make a decent assessment.
  3. 3. Would you assist a family member or close friend in committing suicide?

• Family (YES) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (YES) / Friend (NO)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (NO)

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

let's send the old and terminally ill off to fight the war! :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What do you mean by the "right to commit suicide"?

If you want to commit suicide, who's going to stop you?

And if someone tried to stop you, why would you give a ####?

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

In the U.S., it's considered illegal to commit suicide for any reason. This is why Kevorkian got thrown in prison, despite the fact his patients went to thim and asked him to end their lives. But the U.S. legal system feels that even if you're going to die, you still can't termnate yourself. So the only two ways to die legally are through natural or accidental means; suicide is, at the moment, very illegal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't get the ''right to commit suicide'' thing. If you don't have the right to commit suicide, but you decide to commit suicide, then you're breaking the law, cuz you have no right to do such, but you'll be dead. Is there a fine you'll receive in hell for doing such?

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I believe everybody has a right to die if that person believes it is his/her time.

We can send young whole strong men off to war to fight for their country and if they die in the line of duty, they are honored as heroes.

Yet we fight to keep the aged and terminally ill alive artificially with machines against their wishes and it's considered wrong to let them die.

The former is heroism, the latter is suicide. We honor heroes, we condemn suicidals.

War is unnecessary in this day and age and quality of life is more important than quantity. Risking the whole and strong in a futile gesture is as wrong as forcing those who no longer wish to live to do so.

Condemn not the soldier nor the diseased one, but the government that insists it is okay to let the one die but the other must be forced to live.

Wow.....I never really thought about the two together like this. Thanks.

let's send the old and terminally ill off to fight the war! :protest:

Ha Ha.............

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

i have put many...100s of people in lock-up on the psych unit..for suicide attempts or ideations.....it is a major focus of mental health care

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

In the U.S., it's considered illegal to commit suicide for any reason. This is why Kevorkian got thrown in prison, despite the fact his patients went to thim and asked him to end their lives. But the U.S. legal system feels that even if you're going to die, you still can't termnate yourself. So the only two ways to die legally are through natural or accidental means; suicide is, at the moment, very illegal.

Illegal to commit suicide? I think you meant "illegal to help someone commit suicide" - otherwise

it doesn't make any sense. What are they going to do - prosecute you for killing yourself?

Euthanasia is another story.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
I think that beneficiaries are unable to collect on life insurance if the death is ruled a suicide.

Not true - most life insurance policies allow suicide with an exclusion period (2 years is common.)

The presumption is that most people who want to commit suicide are not going to wait 2 years

so that the beneficiary can collect the death payment.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_collect_...after_a_suicide

Edited by mawilson

Timeline
It is illegal to try to kill yourself. Most attempts don't succeed, you know.

Well who gives a rat's ###. If you're ready to die, you sure as hell are not going to care about legality.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, and the penalty for attempting suicide is death! :whistle:

It is illegal to try to kill yourself. Most attempts don't succeed, you know.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hmmm....I am pro-life. Anti-abortion, anti-capital punishment, anti-war, anti-suicide.

My faith is that life is a gift from God and neither I, nor any other human, has the "right" to take that away.

But, I have never been depressed and I have never experienced the murder of a loved one, so I cannot truly make a judgment.

I can only say what I believe. Perhaps if my child was killed I may look differently on capital punishment, but I don't believe so.

When Kevorkian was first brought into the news many years ago, I though that what he was doing was wrong. I still do.

Yet who am I to pass such judgment? My brother died of colon cancer, after a 5 year battle. My mother died of complications

from diabetes, after many many years of sickness. My best friend's brother died of cancer and my friend's husband died of cancer.

I have seen people suffer greatly through the process, and therefore who am I to judge someone for wanting to end that suffering?

Just because I think something is a sin doesn't mean it is my right to judge the person.

I believe in life, not "choice" because of my belief in God. But my faith also tells me that the only one with the right to judge is God.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

No...but I don't think it's fair to say it's because I think it's the "cowards way out" that I am saying no. I know people who committed suicide and I don't judge them as cowards. They did leave lots of sadness and broken hearts behind them. I couldn't condone that at all.

Both-he might have meant well but I don't agree at all with him

NO/NO

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord