DeadPoolX

Suicide

Suicide  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should people have the right to commit suicide?

• Yes - there should be absolutely no restrictions on this; an individual's mind and body is their own.
    • Maybe - it depends on the circumstances involved (terminal illness vs severe depression).
    • No - suicide is the "coward's way out" and, depending on your belief system, might be a "moral sin" as well.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm unsure how I feel about this matter.
  2. 2. Dr. Jack Kevorkian: Angel of Mercy or Angel of Death?

• Mercy - he was helping terminal ill patients die peacefully, with their dignity attached, which is what they requested.
    • Death - he was taking advantage of the sick (and their families) to conduct his own experiments on them, while breaking the law by murdering his patients.
    • Both - he was neither selfless nor selfish in his task; while he did attempt to help others who suffered, it's possible he did influence ill patients and their families to do what he wished.
    • Neither - his motives, methods and patients's wants are all too complex to break down into such a simple statement.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm either unsure what to think or I lack the overall knowledge to make a decent assessment.
  3. 3. Would you assist a family member or close friend in committing suicide?

• Family (YES) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (YES) / Friend (NO)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (NO)

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
What do you mean by the "right to commit suicide"?

If you want to commit suicide, who's going to stop you?

And if someone tried to stop you, why would you give a ####?

In the U.S., it's considered illegal to commit suicide for any reason. This is why Kevorkian got thrown in prison, despite the fact his patients went to thim and asked him to end their lives. But the U.S. legal system feels that even if you're going to die, you still can't termnate yourself. So the only two ways to die legally are through natural or accidental means; suicide is, at the moment, very illegal.

Illegal to commit suicide? I think you meant "illegal to help someone commit suicide" - otherwise

it doesn't make any sense. What are they going to do - prosecute you for killing yourself?

Euthanasia is another story.

No, I mean it is illegal to commit suicide. Just as VJ Troll said, the attempt to commit suicide is illegal in the United States. Sure, you may say it shouldn't be that way and probably wouldn't matter to someone who's ready to perform the act, but what if they fail? Most suicide attempts don't succeed. Then what? Then they are in some serious trouble for committing an illegal act. The penalty would most likely be institutionalization at a mental facility.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
What do you mean by the "right to commit suicide"?

If you want to commit suicide, who's going to stop you?

And if someone tried to stop you, why would you give a ####?

In the U.S., it's considered illegal to commit suicide for any reason. This is why Kevorkian got thrown in prison, despite the fact his patients went to thim and asked him to end their lives. But the U.S. legal system feels that even if you're going to die, you still can't termnate yourself. So the only two ways to die legally are through natural or accidental means; suicide is, at the moment, very illegal.

Illegal to commit suicide? I think you meant "illegal to help someone commit suicide" - otherwise

it doesn't make any sense. What are they going to do - prosecute you for killing yourself?

Euthanasia is another story.

No, I mean it is illegal to commit suicide. Just as VJ Troll said, the attempt to commit suicide is illegal in the United States. Sure, you may say it shouldn't be that way and probably wouldn't matter to someone who's ready to perform the act, but what if they fail? Most suicide attempts don't succeed. Then what? Then they are in some serious trouble for committing an illegal act. The penalty would most likely be institutionalization at a mental facility.

Which is a good idea, and probably why it's illegal, right? Can they put someone in a mental institution by force unless they've committed some crime?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Can they put someone in a mental institution by force unless they've committed some crime?

Possibly. In New York, the sole legal grounds for involuntary commitment is a person's danger to himself or others.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Can they put someone in a mental institution by force unless they've committed some crime?

Possibly. In New York, the sole legal grounds for involuntary commitment is a person's danger to himself or others.

yeap..depending on the state ..is the length of hold..i have put many..i mean many people in the psych unit for 48-72 hours and then there is a hearing in front of a judge and can be extended ...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

:lol:

Ok, so I'm out of possible reasons why committing suicide is illegal.

Because the IRS doesn't want to lose a taxpayer? :whistle:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, so I'm out of possible reasons why committing suicide is illegal.

Because the IRS doesn't want to lose a taxpayer? :whistle:

Honestly... I disagree with it. I think someone should be able to commit suicide if they want to, so long as the method they're using is not a danger to anyone else. Deciding to blow your brains out in your own home is a lot different than driving the wrong way down the freeway. Both might gain the desired results, but only one would put others at any noticable risk.

I think the reason suicide is illegal is due to a confusing combination of medical, legal, cultural and religious views:

1. The medical community would see suicide as mental health issue, so that no one "in their right mind" would ever wish to commit suicide. Unfortunately, it seems this view doesn't take into account terminal illness. Naturally, if someone is going to die no matter what they do, then they will be depressed and upset. Modern medicine wouldn't see that side of it, however. It'd see the patient as "depressed and in need of psychological and psychiatric care."

2. Legal views vary between countries (and even states and provinces), but usually suicide -- or attempted suicide -- is considered illegal in reference to "common law" more than anything else. Those who attempt and fail at suicide are generally dealt with by the health care system more often than the legal system, although legalities still exist (such as forcing the individual who tried to kill themselves to seek help or remain in an institution).

3. Culture, once again, varies depending on location, but some societies can see suicide as anything from a vile and cowardly deed to a noble and honorable act. In general, Western Society has frowned upon suicide while Eastern Societies have been more tolerant (some, such as Japan many years ago, even considered it the "right" thing to do if dishonored) of this form of death.

4. Religion has played a huge part in how suicide is viewed. Judeo-Christian beliefs, which are dominant in much of North America and Europe, have shaped our views on many things, such as suicide. Because of this, suicide has been thought of in a very negative way. Religions not assoicated with either Judiasm or Christianity, however, usually lack such associations with suicide. Some may still dislike or generally disapprove of it, but the extremely strong reaction against it is not there.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe suicide is still a mortal sin no matter what the circumstances are and you'll go to hell too

Edited by djcess

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Even though I am against suicide...I don't believe you definitely go to hell for it. I know someone who grew up a Christian but was having a time of severe depression, and committed suicide by jumping off a housing building at USF. Really really hard for his family, and is still hard for them over 10 years later. But I don't believe he went to hell. I think it's a sin, but I think God has more mercy than we think.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline
Hmmm....I am pro-life. Anti-abortion, anti-capital punishment, anti-war, anti-suicide.

My faith is that life is a gift from God and neither I, nor any other human, has the "right" to take that away.

But, I have never been depressed and I have never experienced the murder of a loved one, so I cannot truly make a judgment.

I can only say what I believe. Perhaps if my child was killed I may look differently on capital punishment, but I don't believe so.

When Kevorkian was first brought into the news many years ago, I though that what he was doing was wrong. I still do.

Yet who am I to pass such judgment? My brother died of colon cancer, after a 5 year battle. My mother died of complications

from diabetes, after many many years of sickness. My best friend's brother died of cancer and my friend's husband died of cancer.

I have seen people suffer greatly through the process, and therefore who am I to judge someone for wanting to end that suffering?

Just because I think something is a sin doesn't mean it is my right to judge the person.

I believe in life, not "choice" because of my belief in God. But my faith also tells me that the only one with the right to judge is God.

You are one of only a few (of religious people) that I have heard (read) speak this way. It's rather refreshing. Usually the people seem to think that they are the mouthpiece for their god and can pass sentence and punishment.

i think suicidal person is potentially dangerous.

ALL people are "potentially" dangerous.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.