DeadPoolX

Suicide

Suicide  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should people have the right to commit suicide?

• Yes - there should be absolutely no restrictions on this; an individual's mind and body is their own.
    • Maybe - it depends on the circumstances involved (terminal illness vs severe depression).
    • No - suicide is the "coward's way out" and, depending on your belief system, might be a "moral sin" as well.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm unsure how I feel about this matter.
  2. 2. Dr. Jack Kevorkian: Angel of Mercy or Angel of Death?

• Mercy - he was helping terminal ill patients die peacefully, with their dignity attached, which is what they requested.
    • Death - he was taking advantage of the sick (and their families) to conduct his own experiments on them, while breaking the law by murdering his patients.
    • Both - he was neither selfless nor selfish in his task; while he did attempt to help others who suffered, it's possible he did influence ill patients and their families to do what he wished.
    • Neither - his motives, methods and patients's wants are all too complex to break down into such a simple statement.
    • Undecided - at this point, I'm either unsure what to think or I lack the overall knowledge to make a decent assessment.
  3. 3. Would you assist a family member or close friend in committing suicide?

• Family (YES) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (YES) / Friend (NO)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (YES)
    • Family (NO) / Friend (NO)

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but then again, so have most discussions and polls on VJ. Anyway... I thought I've give this one a whirl and see how the answers turn out. It's self-explanatory, so I don't need to go into detail. :)

NOTE: This poll isn't meant to insult anyone. If you know someone who has committed suicide and you find anything in this poll rude, I apologize. It's not meant to be. I'm just trying to cover as many bases as I think I can.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Maybe. Mercy. YES/YES

I don't think mentally ill people should be "allowed" to commit suicide.

Regarding the last question - I answered with euthanasia after a painful illness in mind more than, say, helping my friend jump off a building.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I believe in the case of terminal illness, people should have the right to choose for themselves. It is, however, a mortal sin in my religion and if I chose to go that way, they would not preside over my funeral. I'm pretty positive God would forgive me, so it doesn't worry me much.

I believe Kevorkian is helping people fulfill their wishes. I see nothing wrong with it.

I could not help anyone I loved kill themselves. I would give them my blessings; but not my help.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Maybe {for terminal illness only, people with severe depression can hopefully be helped}

Both {I would hope that his actions are truly sincere and he didn't coerce ppl into it}

No/No {because I could not & would not terminal illness or not I would not want a family member or friend to die, some people would call that selfish especially if the person is suffering a lot, but I can admit I'm not a strong enough person for that}

3dflagsdotcom_roman_2faws.gifaheart2.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Our CR-1 Timeline

Feb 20, 2010 ~ We will file to remove conditions

Filed: Timeline

Yes/Mercy/Yes/Yes....

I equate the right to die with a woman's right to choose. I also believe mentally ill patients should be awarded the same dignity as "physically ill" patients: I've always had a :protest: with this mental/physical absurd dichotomy-- mental illness carries equal if not more pain than physical infirmity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Yes/Mercy/Yes/Yes....

I equate the right to die with a woman's right to choose. I also believe mentally ill patients should be awarded the same dignity as "physically ill" patients: I've always had a :protest: with this mental/physical absurd dichotomy-- mental illness carries equal if not more pain than physical infirmity.

But isn't there a chance that the desire to commit suicide is a result of the mental illness and that if that illness could be treated, then the person would change his mind?

Yes/Mercy/Yes/Yes....

But isn't there a chance that the desire to commit suicide is a result of the mental illness and that if that illness could be treated, then the person would change his mind?

There might be sister, or there might not. Unfortunately, psychiatry is not as evolved as say oncology --- so the chances of treatment saving someone in the extreme woes of a severe and say medicine-resistant mental illness are slim, sadly. My assertion is that the pain of a person who has been chronically depressed for 25 years is comparable (not bigger or smaller) than that of a terminally ill patient. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yes, mercy, no/no.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I lost my Dad because of suicide and I am still angry at him. He had no right to do that and leave me as his daughter behind. As long as there is one soul on this planet that will cry after you and yearn for your presence you cannot do that. It's terribly cruel to those who loved you and cry after you. Several years have passed now and I still miss him awfully. It hurts that he won't be there at my wedding, and he'll also won't be there to see his first grand-child. And it hurts even more because he chose to miss out on all of that. Nobody should be encouraged to do something as terrible as this.

Edited by mnieto

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

I lost my Dad because of suicide and I am still angry at him. He had no right to do that and leave me as his daughter behind. As long as there is one soul on this planet that will cry after you and yearn for your presence you cannot do that. It's terribly cruel to those who loved you and cry after you. Several years have passed now and I still miss him awfully. It hurts that he won't be there at my wedding, and he'll also won't be there to see his first grand-child. And it hurts even more because he chose to miss out on all of that. Nobody should be encouraged to do something as terrible as this.

Thanks for sharing :star:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know a few people who committed suicide as teenagers- I can't help but think if they had gotten help or just hung on longer that there lives would have gotten better or at least they would have learned a way to deal with their lives better.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I believe everybody has a right to die if that person believes it is his/her time.

We can send young whole strong men off to war to fight for their country and if they die in the line of duty, they are honored as heroes.

Yet we fight to keep the aged and terminally ill alive artificially with machines against their wishes and it's considered wrong to let them die.

The former is heroism, the latter is suicide. We honor heroes, we condemn suicidals.

War is unnecessary in this day and age and quality of life is more important than quantity. Risking the whole and strong in a futile gesture is as wrong as forcing those who no longer wish to live to do so.

Condemn not the soldier nor the diseased one, but the government that insists it is okay to let the one die but the other must be forced to live.

05-13-06 - Met at Neo Nightclub in Chicago through a mutual friend.

05-24-06 - First formal date, followed immediately by weekend spent together.

09-07-06 - First trip to the UK. Sick most of the time, loved it anyway. :)

11-21-06 - Alasdair comes in for Thanksgiving.

03-28-07 - Second trip to the UK, flew out to Northern Ireland to meet the parents.

06-12-07 - Alasdair's next visit, we go everywhere and do everything. :)

06-17-07 - We become formally engaged, though it'd been in discussion for months.

07-27-07 - I-129F packet sent to Nebraska Service Center.

07-30-07 - I-129F packet received at Nebraska Service Center and forwarded to California.

08-24-07 - Check finally cashed!

08-25-07 - NOA1 Received!

01-30-08 - NOA2 Finally Received!

03-18-08 - Packet 3 Received!

04-03-08 - Packet 4 Received!

04-28-08 - Interview at 8:30am

Fiance still an idiot, sent wrong doc, still waiting on arrival date.

3052.gif

I believe everybody has a right to die if that person believes it is his/her time.

We can send young whole strong men off to war to fight for their country and if they die in the line of duty, they are honored as heroes.

Yet we fight to keep the aged and terminally ill alive artificially with machines against their wishes and it's considered wrong to let them die.

The former is heroism, the latter is suicide. We honor heroes, we condemn suicidals.

War is unnecessary in this day and age and quality of life is more important than quantity. Risking the whole and strong in a futile gesture is as wrong as forcing those who no longer wish to live to do so.

Condemn not the soldier nor the diseased one, but the government that insists it is okay to let the one die but the other must be forced to live.

Atlanticat, you have spoken wisely and from your heart. Thanks for these words (F)

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My father tried multiple times to kill himself. After awhile, you get more annoyed and numb at the attempts than anything else. One time he drank antifreeze and the doctors told us it might be it. I was really hoping it was. There was no help for him. You just want it to be over.

If people want to kill themselves, I don`t care.

Edited by Wacken