Meriem_DZ

How Muslims Are Treated In USA

144 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Donna,

Here is another quote for you from the Gettysburg Address just to help you out a little more about knowing what this country was founded on and meant to be:

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met here on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this....."

Abraham Lincoln

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

no one is stopping u from being muslim now are they. no one told this girl she has no right to be muslim. yeah ur aloud to practice the religion u want in america but it doent mean someone has to like u because of it.

my husband is muslim so if u think i am trashing muslims ur wrong but he dont go around wanting a pity party cuz someone dont like his religion. people every day get discriminated against just not muslims.

i have been treated like ####### becuase im over weight. ive had remarks made to me at a salad bar about "wow,,u sure are eating alot of salad, u know u can come back for seconds" remark made to me for no reason from a stranger. ive had newspaper articles sent to me about a new diet break thru and someone hand wrote on it...here donna this might help u from someone who didnt even have the nerve to put their return address on it.

yeah ive had hurtful things done to me...u just get over it. u dont go around wanting everyone to pity u. and i feel this is what the story is about...ohhhhh poor me. i sure can relate to what the girl was feeling but get over it. thats the way it is, whether we like it or not.

this is america...people do have the right to tell u whether they like u or not. thats their freedom of speech. they are aloud to tell u what they think of u, whether its good or not. thats what america is about. too much freedom...maybe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Freedom of speech does have its limitations - eg. slander. And discrimination is NOT legal.

I think telling people to just "get over it" is pretty much encouraging complacency.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
no one is stopping u from being muslim now are they. no one told this girl she has no right to be muslim. yeah ur aloud to practice the religion u want in america but it doent mean someone has to like u because of it.

my husband is muslim so if u think i am trashing muslims ur wrong but he dont go around wanting a pity party cuz someone dont like his religion. people every day get discriminated against just not muslims.

i have been treated like ####### becuase im over weight. ive had remarks made to me at a salad bar about "wow,,u sure are eating alot of salad, u know u can come back for seconds" remark made to me for no reason from a stranger. ive had newspaper articles sent to me about a new diet break thru and someone hand wrote on it...here donna this might help u from someone who didnt even have the nerve to put their return address on it.

yeah ive had hurtful things done to me...u just get over it. u dont go around wanting everyone to pity u. and i feel this is what the story is about...ohhhhh poor me. i sure can relate to what the girl was feeling but get over it. thats the way it is, whether we like it or not.

this is america...people do have the right to tell u whether they like u or not. thats their freedom of speech. they are aloud to tell u what they think of u, whether its good or not. thats what america is about. too much freedom...maybe.

There is a difference between not "liking" someone and discriminating/targetting/oppressing them. No one has the right to oppress another person. It's not "okay" and to say so is ignorant. You don't have to like islam. You don't have to interact with muslims. But attacking them, refusing them service, threatening them is actively attempting to oppress their rights in this country. If the idea is that you suffer pain, so everyone else should to. That's wrong. No one should be treated that way, including you.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

u should also ask urself...r u really free to practice ur religion in the united state? why cant muslim practice their right to have 4 wives in the united state? u say thats what the united states is all about...ur freedom to practice ur religion. i dont think so.

u know they did the same story about blacks in america. the same results. only no one defended the blacks. at least this girl had people defending her. maybe its the blacks everyone should be shedding tears over. they get treated far worse then the girl in this story.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
u should also ask urself...r u really free to practice ur religion in the united state? why cant muslim practice their right to have 4 wives in the united state? u say thats what the united states is all about...ur freedom to practice ur religion. i dont think so.

u know they did the same story about blacks in america. the same results. only no one defended the blacks. at least this girl had people defending her. maybe its the blacks everyone should be shedding tears over. they get treated far worse then the girl in this story.

So what happens if you are a black muslim in this country?

Edit: what if you are a black, female, muslim in this country? I guess you're just SOL, so deal with it. Right? That seems to be your reasoning.

Edited by Bassi and Zainab

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Someone NOT being served in a public establishment because of their religious dress IS ILLEGAL. THAT is NOT freedom of speech!

I am sorry that people have spoken to you in the way that they have. But think how you would feel if the restaurant that you went into wouldn't even serve you because you were overweight. THAT is the issue here.

I have family that lived in the South that remember what segregation was like for black people 60 and 70 years ago. I am absolutely disgusted that human beings were ever treated that way...making them use different bathrooms, go to the back of restaurants to eat outside or having to sit on different sections of the bus. I sure hope you don't consider that "freedom of speech".

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Timeline

My husband was in this country when 9/11 happened. We had just started dating. A couple days later when it came out who was responsible...a girl spit in my husband's face at school! I can't repeat what she said to him. Also, about a year ago, I was trying to explain to someone that not ALL Arabs/Muslims are terrorist or extremist. This person actually told me that my husband, myself and my son (my 18 month old SON!) should be stoned to death just for being stinking ARABS!

Is THAT what you call acceptable "freedom of speech"!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

wow, this thread is on a very bad tangent. I don't mean to speak for Donna but I think part of what she is saying is that yes there are ignorant idiots in the US but there are ignorant idiots everywhere......then the convo starting spiraling. lol

I saw this story when it was aired on TV and yes it is very touching and give you hope. I've heard some seriously stupid comments from my family and I would've never thought I would hear them from my family. So it's been an enlightening, sad time for me. I'm not Muslim but my husband is but guys don't have it as tough as women.

I know when I was in Jordan, a cab driver said something very untoward to my husband about me and he was very very very angry so it does happen everywhere and it's wrong wherever it happens.

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Timeline
wow, this thread is on a very bad tangent. I don't mean to speak for Donna but I think part of what she is saying is that yes there are ignorant idiots in the US but there are ignorant idiots everywhere......then the convo starting spiraling. lol

I saw this story when it was aired on TV and yes it is very touching and give you hope. I've heard some seriously stupid comments from my family and I would've never thought I would hear them from my family. So it's been an enlightening, sad time for me. I'm not Muslim but my husband is but guys don't have it as tough as women.

I know when I was in Jordan, a cab driver said something very untoward to my husband about me and he was very very very angry so it does happen everywhere and it's wrong wherever it happens.

thank u...this is exactally what i was trying to get at but as usual the mena people always want to go on the defensive.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thought about this last night and if I had been one of the customers who fought for that woman and ended up getting emotional and THEN found out that both the guy and the girl were actors I'd be PO'd !!!!!!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

thank u...this is exactally what i was trying to get at but as usual the mena people always want to go on the defensive.

Wow..."forgive me" for being "defensive" about someone spitting in my husband's face or someone saying that my family deserves death simply for being of a different race!

I absolutely believe people have a right to their own opinions....but is there not some responsiblity with that?

Yes, I agree with Donna about there being idiots everywhere....but saying that we should just "get over it"... Sorry, but I won't ever get over the feelings of fear that we had during 9/11 or since when people have said and done what they have to my family.

Filed: Timeline

Wow..."forgive me" for being "defensive" about someone spitting in my husband's face or someone saying that my family deserves death simply for being of a different race!

I absolutely believe people have a right to their own opinions....but is there not some responsiblity with that?

Yes, I agree with Donna about there being idiots everywhere....but saying that we should just "get over it"... Sorry, but I won't ever get over the feelings of fear that we had during 9/11 or since when people have said and done what they have to my family.

I think it really depends where you live. I live in a very metropolitan area with lots of tourists and foreigners and everyone just does their best to get along. I think it also has alot to do with the places you frequent and who you hang around.

Allousa, your reactions are similar to my reactions when faced with people from a certain country because I was hurt terribly by someone. Telling someone to get over things and them actually getting over it are two completely different things.

Do you see how memories of 9 11 and the things that happened to you after wards affect you? I feel exactly the same and enraged when I see any American getting taken advantage of by a mena person for status or money. I freak. Right or not. There is of course RESPONSIBILITY but unless you are a ROBOT, people snap and get upset.. Thats human. Its how we handle that rage that sets us apart I guess.

Cheers

By the way yelling FIRE in a crowded theater perhaps would equal the responsibility arguement. Free speech entails some amount of responsibility

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.