JoeCanuk

Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I was asked to show my ID once when buying nail polish remover (with acetone). I couldn't believe it! The woman looked at me as if she wasn't sure about my age, then asked for an ID. I was 25!!

Sometimes at Walmart the register reads "ask for ID" when buying an R-rated movie, but they never do.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
ID for Nyquil? Wow. But thanks for posting about how they'd changed the ingredients in it, Reba. I was wondering why it had no effect on me down here. Sheesh. Another product to add to the list. :angry:

you can still buy the pseudoephedrine kind, but you need to ask for it from the pharmacist. you don't need a prescription though.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Timeline
ID for Nyquil? Wow. But thanks for posting about how they'd changed the ingredients in it, Reba. I was wondering why it had no effect on me down here. Sheesh. Another product to add to the list. :angry:

you can still buy the pseudoephedrine kind, but you need to ask for it from the pharmacist. you don't need a prescription though.

Oh really? You mean they have two kinds? How odd. That's good to know, though. Thank you. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

No wonder it's doing nothing for us but make us sleepy!! :ranting:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know why they bother making a non-pseudoephedrine version of these medicines as the new stuff does absolutely nothing. I've read on some websites that the new ingredient they use hasn't been proved to be more effective than placebos.

Первый блин комом.

I don't know why they bother making a non-pseudoephedrine version of these medicines as the new stuff does absolutely nothing. I've read on some websites that the new ingredient they use hasn't been proved to be more effective than placebos.

Oh man... Right now I have about two 'hits' left of my NyQuil bottle that I brought back from the US a year or so ago - now I am looking at it as if it is a golden elixor! I am also looking at my Sudafed with new-found respect as I hear that it is a pain in the butt to get at home too - what the heck is going on in the US?? Why all these changes?

I am the USC, but have been living in India for the last 3 years - I think the culture shock is going to be harder on me than it will on my husband! ;) I remember when I returned from two years in Kazakstan, I felt completely overwhelmed by grocery shopping - sooooo many choices, soooo many aisles - half the time I would walk out without anything!

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi!

I am not used to go the grocery (or supermarket) and have somebody put all the stuff in the bags. In Spain you do that yourself and they grump at you if you are not fast enough! :-)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I will add, the thing made me shocked here in the US was when I went to the Pharmacy "CVS" and saw a guy buying a pack of cigarettes... I was what.!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko::wacko:

I'm not sure where you're from (you don't say on your profile), but I'd have to imagine that most countries would allow their citizens to purchase cigarettes so long as they're old enough...

Filed: Other Timeline

Yeah, but in some countries (like Canada fer instance) cigarettes are not sold in drug stores. Haven't been for quite a few years.

As for the pseudoephedrine being taken out of cold medicines, its because it was being used by illegal meth makers in their labs. So rather than shut down the labs and put all the ilicit drug makers in jail, they took out the "offending" drug from off the shelf cold and allergy medicines. Now if you want the good stuff, you have to go to the pharmacist him/herself and show them ID and sign a form. And you can only get a maximum of 2 packages at a time, and I think that's limited to 2 per month or some short period of time. If you try to get more than that, they'll report you to the locals.

And the meth labs keep on keepin' on somehow :P

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
And the meth labs keep on keepin' on somehow :P

It's a real joke too. Meth makers are simply paying shills to go into the drug stores and buy for them. Quick way for a high school or college student to make $10...5 minutes of their time to walk in, buy a couple packs, and then hand it to the dealer in the parking lot. Meth gets just a wee bit more expensive, everyone else has to suffer (granted, for small values of "suffer"), and the meth problem isn't even dented.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah, but in some countries (like Canada fer instance) cigarettes are not sold in drug stores. Haven't been for quite a few years.

:blink:

Wow. So where do you buy them then?

I know my wife has said that taxes on cigarettes in Canada are obscenely high, so coupled with limited venues to smoke in, smoking in general has gone way down. My wife and I don't smoke, so neither of us take much notice of these things (which would probably explain why I didn't realize London Drugs didn't sell cigarettes). I just know cigarettes can be bought in places like Walgreen's and CVS because I see them there all the time.

Filed: Other Timeline

they can be bought in pretty much any other kind of store, convenience stores, grocery stores, Costco, Sam's Club, gas station, yadda yadda yadda...just not in drug stores. Or bars and restaurants. Cuz you can't smoke in bars or restaurants anymore. Not that I care, I quit before I moved down here. Don't like American cigarattes :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I felt a strong urge to resucitate this thread...

I just had to show my ID to purchase...N Y Q U I L :blink:

And it wasn't personal or anything, I was using one of those self-service express lanes, scanned the nyquil...got the little thingy "please show your ID to the cashier" :wacko:

Thank God I already have my DL, I've had so many problems with my ID before I got it. If I'd have problems with my ID getting Nyquil I think my head would have exploted right there.

Saludos,

Caro

I teach high school; we've had a problem with our students coming to school drunk off of Nyquil...not since they've been checking ID for it...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Maybe something have changed since I lived in US from 2005- 2007 but besides many things mentioned before I found really akward that

*there are two separate saunas for women and men

*you can't buy a wine in sunday.

:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.