JoeCanuk

Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Maybe something have changed since I lived in US from 2005- 2007 but besides many things mentioned before I found really akward that

*there are two separate saunas for women and men

*you can't buy a wine in sunday.

:)

You must have been in Colorado if you couldn't buy wine on Sunday. :) Most other states are a little more enlightened.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
Maybe something have changed since I lived in US from 2005- 2007 but besides many things mentioned before I found really akward that

*there are two separate saunas for women and men

*you can't buy a wine in sunday.

You must have been in Colorado if you couldn't buy wine on Sunday. :) Most other states are a little more enlightened.

Nope, you lucky Californian you :)

We lived in Georgia, we moved because those unbearable experiences of having sunday dinners without the wine. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Nope, you lucky Californian you :)

We lived in Georgia, we moved because those unbearable experiences of having sunday dinners without the wine. ;)

Hehe. I'm originally from Colorado, same Sunday law. Yeah, California has spoiled me. :)

I could buy beer after midnight in KY - when I went to visit my sister.

In NY liquor stores can't seel beer (only liquor and wine) and you can't buy alcohol before noon at grocery stores (that may just be a county rule from where I was living).

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
Sunday law

I could buy beer after midnight in KY - when I went to visit my sister.

In NY liquor stores can't seel beer (only liquor and wine) and you can't buy alcohol before noon at grocery stores (that may just be a county rule from where I was living).

It wasn't of course problem whether on Sunday we could buy alcohol or we couldn't I was stunned that probably religion laws apply to secular society.

I mean in USA country of freedom !

It was my first cultural shock.

Later on with help from my teacher I discovered real Columbus, GA(where we lived) laws removed on 1981!

*Can't cut off a chicken's head on Sunday; It is illegal to carry a chicken by it's feet down Broadway on Sunday.

*It is illegal to sit on one's porch in an indecent position.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

OMG I could make the longest list....I'll try to keep it short(ish):

- Let's start with the fahrenheit, gallons, miles, reversed date and AM/PM

- Then the criminally low minimum wages, no paid vacation, short maternity leave, putting race on your application, the background checks and drug tests.

- Actually paying for healthcare!! If you can afford it that is....

- Bag boys.....what's that about?

- Coupons, still feel too weird to use one

- Having to hand the cashier the money - she'll get extremely offended if you put it down on the counter

- "Memberships" to grocery stores - those little cards you show the cashier to get the store discounts

- Tipping people.....I think I already pay enough for whatever I'm buying

- Being able to use someone else's credit card

- Credit scores - the most unfair thing in this world!!!

- 2 year cell phone contracts.....what the phone and my plan isn't outragiously expensive enough as it is???!

- That extremely easy "exam" to get your drivers license

- Car washes where people wash your car

- 24 hr service (McD's, CVS, Walmart....)

- Drive through banks...I laughed myself half of death about that one. How lazy can you be!

- People thinking it's nasty to drink from the same glass or bottle as someone else

- Sales taxes.....lord jesus and then some

- Clothing sizes....I was a Medium back home, now I'm a 3 in juniors. What a diet.

- Round door handles - took me a while to figure them out not that I completely have yet

- Telemarketers

- Boxes for your left over food at restaurants

- Portion sizes

- The half gallon milk shake

- Iced Tea/lemonade

- Southern cooking.....definitely not for me, except for the biscuits, yummy

- The very very limited selection of bread and dairy products

- Chocolate.....it just doesn't taste right. Not like the Rittersport and Marabou I get sent from back home

- The so far out in the future expiration date on milk

- The wonderland that is over the counter drugs

Ok.....stopping now.....

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Timeline

oh forgot...

Refills....co-signing on what's been said already

Pancakes/pancake mix.....where I'm from pancakes are big thin and you cover them with chocolate spread, sugar, ice cream or jam. Certainly not butter and syrup, and what's with throwing fruit in there?? And whatever happened to flower, eggs and milk. Leave it to americans to make pancakes from a box.

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
you can't buy a wine in sunday.

yeah, like that will stop people from drinking it whenever they want. That's not any weirder than not having a huge alcohol selection available at every supermarket and having to go grocery shopping in one place and liquor shopping in another :wacko:

they can be bought in pretty much any other kind of store, convenience stores, grocery stores, Costco, Sam's Club, gas station, yadda yadda yadda...just not in drug stores. Or bars and restaurants. Cuz you can't smoke in bars or restaurants anymore. Not that I care, I quit before I moved down here. Don't like American cigarattes :P

I was like :o about buying cigarettes in a pharmacy too, but i guess it makes sense. They have available the product that will help make you unhealthy and then have available products to treat you. In Brazil you can buy pretty much everywhere, bars, convenience stores, grocery stores, gas station, etc, but not pharmacies.

- Being able to use someone else's credit card

ditto. Makes it easier for criminals.

- Round door handles - took me a while to figure them out not that I completely have yet

haha, same here. Back in BR you use keys to lock the door from the inside.

- The so far out in the future expiration date on milk

I think it's the opposite. I have a hard time with food expiring so fast.

Edited by Nessa

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
- 2 year cell phone contracts.....what the phone and my plan isn't outragiously expensive enough as it is???!

I don't think that is anything unique to the US. In Germany, all of our contracts were 2 year.

Luckily, there are pre-paid services. We both have GoPhones from AT&T. Both our phones we got for free from Freecycle and the service costs between $30-$60 dollars for both phones every 3 months depending on useage. No contracts, no money wasted on service we didn't use, no real problems overall. Love it

Denmark has no VAT?

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
they can be bought in pretty much any other kind of store, convenience stores, grocery stores, Costco, Sam's Club, gas station, yadda yadda yadda...just not in drug stores. Or bars and restaurants. Cuz you can't smoke in bars or restaurants anymore. Not that I care, I quit before I moved down here. Don't like American cigarattes :P

Yeah, come to think of it I never seen drug store selling cigarettes before. I do not smoke so I do not pay attention. But I think it's kinda odd for me.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Timeline

I don't think that is anything unique to the US. In Germany, all of our contracts were 2 year.

Luckily, there are pre-paid services. We both have GoPhones from AT&T. Both our phones we got for free from Freecycle and the service costs between $30-$60 dollars for both phones every 3 months depending on useage. No contracts, no money wasted on service we didn't use, no real problems overall. Love it

Denmark has no VAT?

In Denmark if you buy a phone with a plan you get it for next to nothing and the plans are ALOT cheaper, so is prepaid. And the contracts are only for 6 months and after that it's month to month.

As for sales tax. Of course Denmark has them and it's not that I mind them at all. What gets me is that they're not included in the price. At home the price displayed is the price you pay.

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

Filed: Other Timeline
- Chocolate.....it just doesn't taste right. Not like the Rittersport and Marabou I get sent from back home

- The wonderland that is over the counter drugs

I miss Rittersport too. I saw it somewhere recently though, and I can't think of where.

If you think over the counter is a wonderland here, you should go to Canada. They're right off the shelf there! And even better ones! ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
In Denmark if you buy a phone with a plan you get it for next to nothing and the plans are ALOT cheaper, so is prepaid. And the contracts are only for 6 months and after that it's month to month.

As for sales tax. Of course Denmark has them and it's not that I mind them at all. What gets me is that they're not included in the price. At home the price displayed is the price you pay.

Interesting about cell phones in Denmark. At any rate though, there are still plenty of options here that don't involve selling your soul for two years. :)

I guess that sales taxes can't be included because every state has a different taxation scheme and in some places there are also local sales taxes on top of that. Each state has their own rules on what is subject to what tax if any. If it were all the same nationwide, I assume taxes would be included. Sales tax is annoying. I think I was confused by what you meant by what you said at first, complaining about the amount instead of the inconvenience. Sorry about that.

Denmark is a nice place to visit. I think the only thing I didn't like was that one hot summer day, I got something small to drink. After drinking it, I realized how much I paid for it converting it back to dollars and considered passing out. Gorgeous country though. I particularly liked Roskilde. /rambling

Filed: Timeline
Denmark is a nice place to visit. I think the only thing I didn't like was that one hot summer day, I got something small to drink. After drinking it, I realized how much I paid for it converting it back to dollars and considered passing out. Gorgeous country though. I particularly liked Roskilde. /rambling

I looooooooove Denmark. It's so clean and cosmopolitan. And the cuisine is to DIE for. :luv:

Edited by Crikey!
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.