Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Re sprouts, of any/all kinds: Vegetables are what FOOD EATS, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well I'm a pretty picky person so the vegetables I do like I kinda sorta wish they were easy to find cause i dont get much into me. As for brussel sprouts there is no way i would eat them I'd die first.

We do have a super Walmart I havent seen any there yet maybe i'm not looking hard enough. We are supposed to go check a few of the more expensive stores and see if they have fresh bean sprouts. If not I did find some info on how to grow em at how so I may have to do that.

I like bean sprout in my chinese food I can ate tons of it that way. I don't eat salads so i can't say if their good in it. I tend to avoid everything green or with the word salad.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Were you also wondering how she knows what feet taste like? :unsure:

All I know is that enemies of StP tend to have a noticeable limp. Beyond that I don't care to speculate. :unsure:

*sharpens canines with a small file*

*eyes Mox's moccasins meditatively*

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Brussels sprouts don't taste like dirt, they taste like feet :P

bean sprouts are great! you'd never want to eat them on their own, but as an ingredient they're excellent... when you come to visit me I'll make you some laksa and your opinion of sprouts will be transformed :D

when I read that , this is what I think of :lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
so wait, if the holiday falls on a weekend, for instance 4th July, most people DON'T get the Monday off? :blink:

oh dear, I think I need to lay down.

Hmm...

If a holiday lands on a weekend, nobody gets off, period. Not even government employees, who'll try and take off to avoid work anytime they can. When I first heard from my wife that if a holiday comes around on a weekend in Canada, you get off for it on either the Friday before or the Monday after I was literally stunned. That seems so inefficient. Nobody is entitled to a day off, especially a holiday. If it happens, great; if it doesn't, too bad.

Reba pretty much covered why vacation and sick days are in such short supply here in the U.S., but she didn't explain the part that separates the U.S. from some other countries -- such as her home in Canada. Many other nations, including Canada, have governments that are much more "intrusive" into everyday business and this includes supporting some areas monetarily. This generally allows companies to give employees more time off (or in some cases, they don't have any choice, since it'll be mandated) for vacation days, sick days and maternity leave without losing too much money.

In the U.S., most companies receive little-to-no help whatsoever, so it's up to that business to support itself. If American companies were to try and copy what's done in other countries, most would be forced to either shut down or fire tons off the payroll. Neither scenario is a pretty picture, since in both, lots of people would be without work and while that might grant you more "free time" you certainly wouldn't enjoy it since you'd lack an income.

So if a business allowed a lot of vacation and sick days to each employee, those days would no doubt get used and the company as a whole would be less effective and efficient. This would mean less money brought in. People also tend to call in sick when they're feeling fine, so even if they (and when) they managed to use up their vacation time, it's a sure bet that there would be numerous individuals who would use their sick days as impromptu vacation time.

As far as maternity leave is concerned (I know this is a real sore point with mothers or mothers-to-be coming from foreign nations to the U.S.), we generally don't offer a whole lot of time off. To be honest, you'll be lucky if you can find work that'll allow you anywhere from six to eight weeks off; if you can manage to find a job that lets you take 12 weeks, keep it, since those are exceedingly rare (although they do exist).

Once again, it's all a money issue, since pregnant women are considered an unnecessary expense in both time and money. Maybe that's not the nicest way of looking at the "miracle of childbirth" but do try and see it from a company's perspective. They've hired you to do a potentially important job. You'll be out however long and in that amount of time, they'll have to hire someone else on a temporary basis who doesn't know a whole lot about the business office, the people there or anything else and be forced to train them. In addition, they'll be paying them while they're paying you (who isn't there, simply because you and your husband/boyfriend decided that you two absolutely needed a child). They're not allowed to fire you too, so they're forced to keep you there as well.

All of the above explains why there are such strict artificial limits on maternity leave. It has much less to do with company's being "mean" than it does with "staying alive." Since they only see they money they bring in themselves, if they offered the generous packages other countries (like Canada), I don't doubt there would be many women who would get pregnant for the sole purpose of reaping those benefits; as it is, my wife has known women to do this in Canada.

Nothing could further from the truth i have been a business owner for over 8 years in Canada and in some years had a $300,000 + payroll.

I have never seen a red cents from the Canadian governement, quite the opposite i had to contribute to my employees pension and unemployment insurance on top of having to meet guidelines of paid vacation.

And if that was not enough when I had to downsize due to the weak US dollars I had to pay 1 week severance per year worked to each and everyone of my employee that worked 2 + years for me or give them the same period notice.

you make it sounds like Canadian businesses do not have to be profitable to survive they are all carried by the government a very untrue statement in most case it is supporting company like Ford, chrysler and boeing most fo them having roots in the US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.