rebeccajo

Barack Obama

Does this 'issue' affect your opinion of the candidate?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel?

• A candidates religious affiliation does not affect my vote.
    • A candidates religous affiliation does affect my vote.
    • It only concerns me if they are non-christian.
    • It only concerns me if they are Muslim.
    • I believe Obama when he says he is Christian.
    • I believe Obama is really a Muslim.
    • I believe Obama is a Muslim and not trustworthy because of it.

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Religion does affect my vote. I want a candidate's moral compass to look the most like mine, and the more influenced by religion, the less I can relate, IMO.

It might be wishful thinking that I think Obama is atheist, but I'm going to keep hoping.

It's interesting how much religion is focused on in American politics, it's also strange.

We (fairly) recently (2006) elected a new Prime Minister, I do vote and I do take an interest in who is running etc - I have no idea what his religious leanings (or not) are.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Religion does affect my vote. I want a candidate's moral compass to look the most like mine, and the more influenced by religion, the less I can relate, IMO.

It might be wishful thinking that I think Obama is atheist, but I'm going to keep hoping.

It's interesting how much religion is focused on in American politics, it's also strange.

We (fairly) recently (2006) elected a new Prime Minister, I do vote and I do take an interest in who is running etc - I have no idea what his religious leanings (or not) are.

One of the biggest voting blocs in this country is evangelicals. So politicians try to garner votes by Bible thumping. This, in turn, frightens me.

I'm very wary of people who broadcast their religious beliefs.

Filed: Timeline

The basic premise is that only Christians have morals. I've heard that used time and time again in debates/arguments. "I want a Christian President so I know that he'll make moral choices." Guess they're hoarding all the damn morals somewhere. Oh how I wish I had some. :rolleyes:

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I wasn't quite sure how to answer. A candidate's religion doesn't affect my vote unless their religion will affect their policies.

ditto

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

I've been reading how the 'allegation' of the candidate being a Muslim is being used against him. It reminds me a bit of the 'furor' over Kennedy being catholic.

Except for the fact that KENNEDY ACTUALLY WAS CATHOLIC AND OBAMA IS NOT MUSLIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama is a baptized member of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. For Pete's sakes.

And I agree with PlatyPius. A candidate's religious affiliation only concerns me if the candidate is a fundamentalist evangelical whackjob (and I know many fundamentalist evangelicals who are NOT whackjobs, I'm only concerned if the candidate is ALSO a whackjob).

Huckabee scares the #### outta me.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

The basic premise is that only Christians have morals. I've heard that used time and time again in debates/arguments. "I want a Christian President so I know that he'll make moral choices." Guess they're hoarding all the damn morals somewhere. Oh how I wish I had some. :rolleyes:

And the irony is that we only need to look at Bush to see that "having Christian morals" doesn't mean that you will use them to make good moral decisions or any good decisions for that matter.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dan + Gemvita already stated my opinion:

And the irony is that we only need to look at Bush to see that "having Christian morals" doesn't mean that you will use them to make good moral decisions or any good decisions for that matter.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Christian. With that being said, I do not automatically vote for someone who proclaims "I am a Christian" like some people do and have. In my mind, just because someone is a Christian does not automatically mean that they are a good leader and/or capable of running a country (may I offer up George W. Bush as an example). I look at the overall picture when choosing a party and/or candidate.

The "fear Obama because he is hiding being Muslim" email going around frustrates and annoys me.

Dan + Gemvita already stated my opinion:

exactly. Which frustrates the heck out of me.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

OK here's MY personal and honest opinion.

If I was American and had the right to vote I would definitley NOT vote for him BECAUSE I believe he IS Muslim and has a plan.........and not a good one.

He may not,but I completley do not trust that man.And I would NEVER vote for any Muslim to be America's leader.And my SO and American friends see it the same way.

It actually scares me to think that a Muslim could be President of the USA.........

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!