bradcanuck

Any way to accelerate citizenship?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am getting my greencard shortly here, and I want to become a police officer. Obviously with law enforcement you have to be a citizen. I meet the other requirements and I doubt I would have a problem getting the job aside from the fact that I would only be a perm resident. Are there any special programs if I am going into law enforcement to get citizenship quickly? If not what is the fastest I could get citizenship after my GC is approved?

Thank you!

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I thought I saw that joining the military accelerates citizenship.

What about joining the national guard? Is that the one were you give one weekend a month or something like that?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Only if you are deployed for a year or more can you get the citizenship faster. So active service, don't think national guard weekends will do it.

Besides, aren't you going for citizenship through marriage (3 yrs)?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Remain married to a US citizen, LPR's married to US Citizens can file for citizenship 3 years after becoming LPR. LPR's not married to a US citizen have to wait 5 years.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Not all US police departments require you to be a US citizen, most do but not all.

Search posts by "futureamerica" I think it was in response to a question I asked him he posted a list of the departments that accept non-citizens.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Remain married to a US citizen, LPR's married to US Citizens can file for citizenship 3 years after becoming LPR. LPR's not married to a US citizen have to wait 5 years.

My husband is interested in becoming a police officer too, and faces the same road block :( Is the 3yrs considered from the time you get the conditional green card (like adjusting from a K1), or does the 3 year countdown start after the unconditional 10yr GC is received?

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband is interested in becoming a police officer too, and faces the same road block :( Is the 3yrs considered from the time you get the conditional green card (like adjusting from a K1), or does the 3 year countdown start after the unconditional 10yr GC is received?

It is 3 yrs from when you were granted permanent residency.... ( the type of greencard you held during this period of time is not a factor and assuming you meet the other criteria)

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

There is a number of ways to get citizenship without a certain required period of residence. The most simple one is by serving on active military duty. Becoming eligible for others may be more difficult and time consuming than just waiting 5 years and using the regular way to apply for citizenship.

There is a number of ways to get citizenship without a certain required period of residence. The most simple one is by serving on active military duty. Becoming eligible for others may be more difficult and time consuming than just waiting 5 years and using the regular way to apply for citizenship.

This is silly, you can serve & protect the country in active military as a LPR, but you cant serve & protect a city as a police officer. :wacko: If anything, I would think it'd be the other way around.

12140.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
This is silly, you can serve & protect the country in active military as a LPR, but you cant serve & protect a city as a police officer. :wacko: If anything, I would think it'd be the other way around.

There are a few PD that will take non US citizens. A poster on here from the UK had been in contact with several before he left the UK, as he was interested in taking that career path.

It is rather silly what you can and cannot do. I was a counter terrorist detective in the UK. Spent 10 years in such a role with SO12 at Heathrow airport part of which was spotting and exploiting flaws in the security system there to test its effectiveness. Assisted the FBI on numerous of their investigations but because I'm not a US citizen I cannot be employed by the TSA. Tell me that makes sense.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Unlike the military, police officers have the power to arrest US citizens and other civilians on US soil. The military is generally not allowed to enforce laws or otherwise act against civilians on US soil (google Posse Comitatus Act). The people against whom the military directs force aren't the ones who elect our lawmakers.

I'm not saying it's right, or it ought to be that way, but there's a certain logic to how it ended up that citizenship is required of police and not the military. Police have a much closer contact with the voters.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Unlike the military, police officers have the power to arrest US citizens and other civilians on US soil. The military is generally not allowed to enforce laws or otherwise act against civilians on US soil (google Posse Comitatus Act). The people against whom the military directs force aren't the ones who elect our lawmakers.

I'm not saying it's right, or it ought to be that way, but there's a certain logic to how it ended up that citizenship is required of police and not the military. Police have a much closer contact with the voters.

But not all states have this requirement. Some states allow LPRs to be police officers, so LPRs can arrest US citizens :wacko:

12140.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At this time I believe its Maryland that is trying to bring in a new law that would allow LPR to become Police officers. But who knows when it will come into effect. Was in the news just before Xmas and havent heard any updates--havent been looking either has it is not my career path. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.