dunebuggy

Travel to Cuba (from Mexico) with Green Card?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi, we are planning to travel to Mexico and Cuba on a I-551 Green Card. Are there any regulations we should be aware of when traveling to Cuba with a Green Card? Our flights would be Mexico City-Havana-Mexico City before returning to USA.

I think that the rules are the same for US Citizens but thought I would check here if anyone has any insight... thanks!

Click to expand I-751 ROC Timeline

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

May 13, 2019: Opening of 90 day window to send application

May 25, 2019: [Day 0] Sent I-751 package to Phoenix via USPS Priority

May 31, 2019: [Day 6] NOA1 received (18 mo extension) & check cashed

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Mar 5, 2021:  Interview scheduled for April 16, 2021.

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Click to expand AOS Timeline / I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Spoiler

I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Mar 6, 2018: [Day -2] Sent I-131 package to Dallas Lockbox via USPS Priority

Mar 8, 2018: [Day 0] Package received at Dallas Lockbox

Mar 12, 2018: [Day 4] Credit card charged application fee

Mar 13, 2018: [Day 5] Text received confirming receipt

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

Jun 29, 2018: [Day 112] Received I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP)

----------------------------

You need to be certain that your travel purpose falls into the permitted purposes:

https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/traveling-to-cuba/

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Check the State Department warnings as they issued a new one for Mexico travel to USC (would apply to green card holders also)

i heard news this AM saying the new warning was issued 

28 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

If you are a Spanish citizen, I don't see the issue for you going to Cuba?

Depends whether he intends to apply for US citizenship or not. If he does, the trip will be heavily scrutinized. So the question is whether it's worth the risk. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

35 minutes ago, JFH said:

Depends whether he intends to apply for US citizenship or not. If he does, the trip will be heavily scrutinized. So the question is whether it's worth the risk. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Where is this information? 

1 minute ago, Londonergirl said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Where is this information? 

Because the rules regarding travel to Cuba apply to anyone living in the USA, not just citizens. When you apply for citizenship it is expected that you have obeyed all the rules and laws and you must list all travel out of the country. If you're listing Cuba you will then be questioned to make sure it falls within the 12 permitted reasons - and general tourism is not a permitted reason.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/243/kw/cuba and lpr/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyMDc5NDEwNi9zaWQvY29BX1dtSG4%3D

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

And from the department of state:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Cuba.html

Travel to Cuba is regulated by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Anyone located in the United States, regardless of citizenship and nationality, must comply with these regulations. Individuals seeking to travel to Cuba are not required to obtain licenses from OFAC if their travel is covered by a general license. If travel is not covered by a general license, you must seek OFAC authorization in the form of a specific license. Travelers who fail to comply with regulations may face penalties and criminal prosecution.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

8 minutes ago, JFH said:

Because the rules regarding travel to Cuba apply to anyone living in the USA, not just citizens. When you apply for citizenship it is expected that you have obeyed all the rules and laws and you must list all travel out of the country. If you're listing Cuba you will then be questioned to make sure it falls within the 12 permitted reasons - and general tourism is not a permitted reason.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/243/kw/cuba and lpr/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyMDc5NDEwNi9zaWQvY29BX1dtSG4%3D

I am not saying that you are wrong. I just had never heard about this before. The last information I was given was that it was now OK to travel to Cuba. 
I had also never heard that if you traveled to Cuba, you couldn't later apply for US citizenship. 

23 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

@JFH I have read the link but where does it say that you might not be allowed to apply for US citizenship if you have traveled to Cuba? 

It doesn't and that's not what I said. 

Tourism to Cuba is illegal for anyone living in the USA. That includes green card holders. You can go to Cuba now but only if your purpose for travel fits into one of the 12 permitted reasons. A holiday in the sun is not a permitted reason. Cruise ships get round it by claiming that it is "humanitarian travel" because the passengers make donations to charitable foundations or volunteer whilst they are there. But to just go and see the sights and sit by a pool is not permitted.

Breaking the law can be a bar to US citizenship. That includes illegal travel to Cuba. Hence if the OP applies for citizenship he/she will be interrogated to make sure that the trip falls with the legal reasons for travel. So far, he has not said anything to suggest that his purpose does fall within those reasons. Maybe it does. But from what he's posted so far, it's just a relaxing vacation. Not permitted. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.