dunebuggy

Travel to Cuba (from Mexico) with Green Card?

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Well, at least for the last 50+ years or so.

I remember @Londonergirl being shocked at another immigration policy in another thread a few weeks ago. Seems she is getting a crash course on how strict/broken/complicated US immigration is.

Mate, you don't need to be a douche bag. Where have I said that the immigration rules aren't strict? Just because I didn't know that the restrictions to Cuba changed a few months ago doesn't mean that I have no clue about anything (The way you make it sound). But thank you very much. 

I know very well that it has never been easy to travel to Cuba. But Obama lifted some of the restrictions and I just had no clue that it had been changed again in late 2017. Sorry about that. 

11 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Mate, you don't need to be so freaking rude. Where have I said that the immigration rules aren't strict? Just because I didn't know that the restrictions to Cuba changed a few months ago doesn't mean that I have no clue about anything (The way you make it sound). But thank you very much. 

I know very well that it has never been easy to travel to Cuba. But Obama lifted some of the restrictions and I just had no clue that it had been changed again in late 2017. Sorry about that.  I am so glad that people like you are here to give me a "crash course". 

Edited by Londonergirl

14 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Mate, you don't need to be a douche bag. Where have I said that the immigration rules aren't strict? Just because I didn't know that the restrictions to Cuba changed a few months ago doesn't mean that I have no clue about anything (The way you make it sound). But thank you very much. 

I know very well that it has never been easy to travel to Cuba. But Obama lifted some of the restrictions and I just had no clue that it had been changed again in late 2017. Sorry about that. 

Douchebag?

I was actually trying to lighten the tone because of the shock of discovering yet something else with immigration that is difficult. Don't know why you took it the wrong way as I have helped you previously. Nothing wrong with not knowing. It is the shock people often get because honestly the majority of people are unaware that immigration is a tedious process. 

It's all good.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Douchebag?

I was actually trying to lighten the tone because of the shock of discovering yet something else with immigration that is difficult. Don't know why you took it the wrong way as I have helped you previously. Nothing wrong with not knowing. It is the shock people often get because honestly the majority of people are unaware that immigration is a tedious process. 

It's all good.

"Seems she is getting a crash course on how strict/broken/complicated US immigration is." - You just made it sound like I had no idea at all. 

I apologize for writing douchebag (I edited that after). 

5 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

"Seems she is getting a crash course on how strict/broken/complicated US immigration is." - You just made it sound like I had no idea at all. 

I apologize for writing douchebag (I edited that after). 

No worries.

When words are typed the tone can get lost. Trust me, it was not a negative tone from me writing that. I guess it was a bad attempt at being facetious. When I first started out, there were a few things that shocked me. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Just now, NuestraUnion said:

No worries.

When words are typed the tone can get lost. Trust me, it was not a negative tone from me writing that. I guess it was a bad attempt at being facetious. When I first started out, there were a few things that shocked me. 

I'm sorry for reacting so strongly to it. I just shouldn't have cared. It wasn't a big deal. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
On 3/11/2018 at 4:03 PM, JFH said:

It is less strict now. There are now 12 permitted reasons to travel to Cuba. There used to be zero. I'm well aware of the direct flights to Cuba. I work for one of the airlines that operates them! 

I have read that "Support of the Cuban People" is the reason that doesn't attract much scrutiny.... here is an example

"I've been doing a little research, as I've been trying to understand the 12 Category stipulations myself. "Support for the Cuban People" (SCP) is simply that you will have at least 8 hours/day of pouring your goods/services (money/time) into private employers (small businesses - corner shops, eating out at private restaurants, going on local excursions, taking a class, volunteering some time somewhere, staying in a hostel or B&B, etc.) so the Cuban people can become contributors in Cuban society. You have to document at least 8 hours of your day, spent "supporting" Cuban people."

On 3/12/2018 at 12:29 PM, Ben & Katy said:

My question is; how would the US government find out that you traveled to Cuba from Mexico?  Especially if you have dual citizenship from another country that has no restrictions.  I have a Brazilian passport that I never use unless I am going to Brazil.  Most people ask that Cuban officials don't stamp their passports when they arrive if they are living in the USA for whatever reason.  

If your other passport is not stamped by a Cuban customs agent then how will the USCIS or the US government discover you were ever there??  Even more so if you decided to use cash the entire time over there?

Also curious about this.... why not just use a Spanish passport in our case when traveling Mexico - Cuba - Mexico?

Click to expand I-751 ROC Timeline

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

May 13, 2019: Opening of 90 day window to send application

May 25, 2019: [Day 0] Sent I-751 package to Phoenix via USPS Priority

May 31, 2019: [Day 6] NOA1 received (18 mo extension) & check cashed

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Mar 5, 2021:  Interview scheduled for April 16, 2021.

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Click to expand AOS Timeline / I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Spoiler

I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Mar 6, 2018: [Day -2] Sent I-131 package to Dallas Lockbox via USPS Priority

Mar 8, 2018: [Day 0] Package received at Dallas Lockbox

Mar 12, 2018: [Day 4] Credit card charged application fee

Mar 13, 2018: [Day 5] Text received confirming receipt

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

Jun 29, 2018: [Day 112] Received I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP)

----------------------------

On 3/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, Ben & Katy said:

My question is; how would the US government find out that you traveled to Cuba from Mexico?  Especially if you have dual citizenship from another country that has no restrictions.  I have a Brazilian passport that I never use unless I am going to Brazil.  Most people ask that Cuban officials don't stamp their passports when they arrive if they are living in the USA for whatever reason.  

If your other passport is not stamped by a Cuban customs agent then how will the USCIS or the US government discover you were ever there??  Even more so if you decided to use cash the entire time over there?

The original question, before the sidetracking argument about which administration was more to blame for travel policies to Cuba, was about a green card holder traveling there. As JFH reminded everyone, if you are applying for citizenship you need to disclose all your travel outside the US since getting your green card. So, assuming you surely are not recommending someone be so stupid as to lie on an N400 application and entirely jeopardize their application.... that’s how.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

The original question, before the sidetracking argument about which administration was more to blame for travel policies to Cuba, was about a green card holder traveling there. As JFH reminded everyone, if you are applying for citizenship you need to disclose all your travel outside the US since getting your green card. So, assuming you surely are not recommending someone be so stupid as to lie on an N400 application and entirely jeopardize their application.... that’s how.

For me it’s not even about the green card or applying for naturalization.  My only question is how would the US government find out you traveled to Cuba if you went from Cancun to Havana on a different passport? I have thought about doing it multiple times with my Brazilian passport while in Cancun.  But in my opinion traveling to Cuba is just a hassle to begin with.  So I never did it.  

On 3/14/2018 at 6:05 AM, Ben & Katy said:

For me it’s not even about the green card or applying for naturalization.  My only question is how would the US government find out you traveled to Cuba if you went from Cancun to Havana on a different passport? I have thought about doing it multiple times with my Brazilian passport while in Cancun.  But in my opinion traveling to Cuba is just a hassle to begin with.  So I never did it.  

As I said, the answer is you be honest on your N400...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.