corvusheart

What is considered a stop by the police?

34 posts in this topic

Hi all. My husband will be going for his citizenship as soon as his window opens to do so. In the meantime I got him a study guide for the citizenship test. 2018 edition of course. There was one bit in the book that confused me. It said if you get arrested, detained or even stopped by the police you can have trouble with citizenship. He's never been arrested or detained or anything like that. But the book says if you've even gotten stopped by the police it can cause problems. He's never been directly stopped by the police. But one time in the car I was driving and he was a passenger. We were stopped by the police. We were stopped because I was swerving a bit on the road due to tiredness. The cop stopped is because of my poor driving. He never asked to see my husbands id or anything. He only asked him if he could drive for me since I was so tired. In which he replied he couldn't because he didn't have a driver's license after that the cop let us go without giving me a ticket. So it was more me being stopped and my husband was just in the car. So should he tell immigration he was stopped by police during the citizenship process? Or does this not count?

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Hi all. My husband will be going for his citizenship as soon as his window opens to do so. In the meantime I got him a study guide for the citizenship test. 2018 edition of course. There was one bit in the book that confused me. It said if you get arrested, detained or even stopped by the police you can have trouble with citizenship. He's never been arrested or detained or anything like that. But the book says if you've even gotten stopped by the police it can cause problems. He's never been directly stopped by the police. But one time in the car I was driving and he was a passenger. We were stopped by the police. We were stopped because I was swerving a bit on the road due to tiredness. The cop stopped is because of my poor driving. He never asked to see my husbands id or anything. He only asked him if he could drive for me since I was so tired. In which he replied he couldn't because he didn't have a driver's license after that the cop let us go without giving me a ticket. So it was more me being stopped and my husband was just in the car. So should he tell immigration he was stopped by police during the citizenship process? Or does this not count?

you were stopped not him

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

He was not stopped so why would he say he was?

OK thanks. Another statement in the book says even when you were stopped by the police abroad you must report it. He was stopped twice in England by the police but was never charged or detained or anything like that. Once was when he was walking to a shop and started petting a stray cat. A police officer stopped and asked if he was loitering he answered honestly that he was just spending time with the cat. The police officer then said he should leave the area because there was currently a lot of criminal activity going on. So he agreed and left the area and nothing came of anything.

The second thing happened when a longer time ago when he was being beaten up by someone who lived on the same street as him and a police stopped the other person from assaulting him. The police officer asked him if he'd like to press charges on the man. He said no he just wanted to go home. So the police left the situation and the other guy left and again nothing came of it. Will these things need to be reported? Also when he got his foreign police report during the K-1 process it came up as "no trace". But do these things still need to be reported?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

8 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

OK thanks. Another statement in the book says even when you were stopped by the police abroad you must report it. He was stopped twice in England by the police but was never charged or detained or anything like that. Once was when he was walking to a shop and started petting a stray cat. A police officer stopped and asked if he was loitering he answered honestly that he was just spending time with the cat. The police officer then said he should leave the area because there was currently a lot of criminal activity going on. So he agreed and left the area and nothing came of anything.

The second thing happened when a longer time ago when he was being beaten up by someone who lived on the same street as him and a police stopped the other person from assaulting him. The police officer asked him if he'd like to press charges on the man. He said no he just wanted to go home. So the police left the situation and the other guy left and again nothing came of it. Will these things need to be reported? Also when he got his foreign police report during the K-1 process it came up as "no trace". But do these things still need to be reported?

Was he already living in the US with a green card when any of this happened?

7 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Seriously... talking to police officers is WAY different than being stopped or arrested.

Please breathe and use some judgment - do not get anxious over nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Was he already living in the US with a green card when any of this happened?

No, this was years before we even started the immigration process.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
44 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Neither incident needs be disclosed on his application.

He wasn't detained or ticketed or fined or cited or arrested or charged. 

In the 1st incident he was verbally advised by the police to clear the area for his own safety.

In the 2nd incident he was the victim, not the perpetrator.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
25 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Did petting kitty show up on his UK police certificate? If not, then he has nothing to report or even mention in the tiniest way on his application or at the interview. 

Use the USCIS checklist to read the real rules. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/article/attachments.pdf?download=1

48 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Did petting kitty show up on his UK police certificate? If not, then he has nothing to report or even mention in the tiniest way on his application or at the interview. 

Use the USCIS checklist to read the real rules. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/article/attachments.pdf?download=1

Perhaps the study guide we purchased is too extreme.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
43 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Perhaps the study guide we purchased is too extreme.

My mantra for immigration was go straight to the source (USCIS) and read the instructions, forms, checklists over and over. And don't over think it by trying to think what USCIS might be thinking.

But do use your common sense. If your husband's name was never even taken by a law enforcement officer and entered into his record, then you can't get a report to turn in because there is zero record for him. They want to know real offenses he might have committed and the official record of it.  He has none in his name. 

Edited by Wuozopo

5 hours ago, corvusheart said:

Then I do not think it is relevant. Citizenship is based on your behavior during the GC. Anything before that matters for the GC, unless is something more serious than what you mentioned.

So I would not mention it because of that.

Plus, did he even (or had to) mention this when he applied for the GC?

6 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Then I do not think it is relevant. Citizenship is based on your behavior during the GC. Anything before that matters for the GC, unless is something more serious than what you mentioned.

So I would not mention it because of that.

Plus, did he even (or had to) mention this when he applied for the GC?

No. He only had to answer those generic questions about are you a terrorist or committed a crime before? Which was obviously no.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

It's just that the book said "even if you are stopped by police you must report it". He said his name was taken down both times in England but nothing happened beyond that. He didn't go to the police department or anything.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.