coffeejazz

B2 Visa visiting my BF in US. Shall we marry here or wait for K1

19 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I've been coming and going to the U.S. since last year (this is my fourth time) to visit my bf. Now I've been in the US for almost 4 months and 1/2 now, and planning to stay until almost the expiration of my I-94 (6 months).

My boyfriend and I just decided to get married. My doubt is: what is better for me to do? We thought about applying now for the K1 visa, I go back and wait in Brazil.. But it's like 6-8 months to get this approval + schedule for interview there, is that right? We didn't want to stay away that long, because for him is kind of hard to go visit me, because of work. So, is there any other option? If I marry here and apply for a B2 extension, is that a possibility?

I don't want to do anything that can go wrong..

Thank you!!

Edited by arqbeatriz

You can stay and apply for adjustment of status now that you are already in the US. Here is a guide to help you with the steps ... http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Keep in mind that you will not be able to leave the US or work until you have authorization, which could be a few months.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

You can stay and apply for AOS but you are not allowed to work until you get your work permit in the mail.

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Great, thank you! So do you think Is OK to adjust status on this situation?

Me and my bf have funds and can prove it. Actually I think only last time I entered in the U.S. the officer asked me more information about how can I support myself travelling and I explained that I work online for a company in Brazil + I have investments. And he asked me if I had a boyfriend here and I said yes. 

My concern is: if there is any possibility to be considered a visa fraud or something else bad, I won't do it, and prefer to wait in Brazil. I also have italian citizenship, I don't know if this helps me anyway somehow..

Thank you so much!! :)

Edited by arqbeatriz

2 minutes ago, arqbeatriz said:

Me and my bf have funds and can prove it. Actually I think only last time I entered in the U.S. the officer asked me more information about how can I support myself travelling and I explained that I work online for a company in Brazil + I have investments. And he asked me if I had a boyfriend here and I said yes. 

My concern is: if there is any possibility to be considered a visa fraud or anything bad, I won't do it, and prefer to wait in Brazil. I also have italian citizenship, I don't know if this helps me anyway somehow..

Thank you so much!! :)

"Funds" don't matter. Once of the forms is about financial sponsorship and your boyfriends needs to be making roughly 20,000 a year to be able to sponsor you. Otherwise, you'll have to find a co-sponsor.

Start with the paperwork now, even if you are not marrying yet, because you'll have to put together a lot of stuff for your package.

AOS in the US is not bad as long as you marry and send the paperwork before your i-94 expires. You don't want to overstay and then, decide not to marry, and that will get you in trouble.

Edited by Coco8

4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

"Funds" don't matter. Once of the forms is about financial sponsorship and your boyfriends needs to be making roughly 20,000 a year to be able to sponsor you. Otherwise, you'll have to find a co-sponsor.

Start with the paperwork now, even if you are not marrying yet, because you'll have to put together a lot of stuff for your package.

Oops, sorry. That's what I meant, we can support ourselves financially.  

Actually, we are with the documents and the application ready for the K1, but just occurred us if there is a (secure / fast) way to not be apart for so long..  Thank you!

Edited by arqbeatriz

28 minutes ago, arqbeatriz said:

Yup, it's no problem. Intent was established at POE so there's no issue and nothing you need to "prove" about intent.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Great, thank you!!

If we decide to adjust my status here, we shall rush to get married and send this documentation right after (but before my I-94 expires [that will be in september 26th])?

Or can we send the documentation before (like this week of the next) and have time to plan the wedding. Will my status change right after we send it? (like a fiancée status or something)

Edited by arqbeatriz

Just now, arqbeatriz said:

Great, thank you!!

If we decide to adjust my status here, we shall rush to get married and send this documentation right after (but before my I-94 expires [that will be in september 26th])?

Or can we send the documentation before and have time to plan the wedding. My status will change after we send it?

You must be married first to file for AOS. Once you file for AOS, you will have authorized stay (not a legal status, but allows you to stay in the US) while your case is pending. You will need to concurrently file the I-130 + I-485 (and file an I-765 and I-131 for an EAD and AP). It's all in the guide linked above. Just note that it's slightly outdated...the G-325As are no longer needed, but an I-130A is now also needed for the I-130. Be sure to read the instructions on the USCIS site for each form.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

You too. Best wishes.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

12 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Wise heads may have a better view of this, but you're working while on a tourist visa and plan to continue working?  That's a grey area I believe, even if the company is not in the US.

Yes, Emily. I even told this to the immigration officer at the airport.. So he asked how was that, what kind of work was it (since I am an architect, he thought I had to go to construction sites). And I told him is a 3D rendering company, everything is in the computer, so doesn't really matter where I am. But yes, may sound kind of awkward, so I don't know..  

57 minutes ago, arqbeatriz said:

Great, thank you!!

Do a quick court wedding and send everything before the i-94 expires. It has happened on VJ that people get cold feet or they have an emergency and have to leave the country, but they had let the i-94 expire and then you end up with huge problems. Basically, no B2 because you violated the visa by overstaying and a 3 or 10 year ban depending on how long the overstay was.

57 minutes ago, arqbeatriz said:

Or can we send the documentation before (like this week of the next) and have time to plan the wedding. Will my status change right after we send it? (like a fiancée status or something)

You have to send the marriage certificate with the paperwork so you have to get married. You can get married twice. Like one be a court ceremony and then have a sham/religious ceremony and have people over. 

There is no fiance status. You will be married. But you will be in limbo until you get your work authorization (you have to send a form for that). 

Read the guides on the forum :guides:

Edited by Coco8
typo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe working is fine, as long as your payroll is from a different country and being deposited into that same countries' bank account, as you're technically not illegally displacing any U.S. workers and still working for your same employer right now, just remotely. For example, I'd get sent down to California for training for three weeks from my company, all expenses paid. As a Canadian, we're auto-granted B2 entry without needing to apply for a visa, as long as we have a passport, so similar situation. While yes, I still would get paid during my time in California, they are simply tracking my hours back in Canada and paying me based off of the Canadian payroll into my Canadian bank account, not the U.S., and this is perfectly fine on a B2.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.