NAAW*

once we are married,

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That's good.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

We have been together for 10 years

I visit every 6 months on visiting visa

we want to get married

I want to live in US closer to him

I need to be able to work

Im asking for best advice for visa, and fastest way I can work in US

I just want to be closer

Thank you for advice

Timeline

There was a thread a few years back that covered this. Obviously you can marry a prisoner, Charles Manson did it.

Pretty sure that other thread the inmate was not a lifer. Got to be more challenging?

Is a family member sponsoring you?

I was going to say the nature of the crime might make a difference but if he is not getting out then probably not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

yes his family member is sponsoring me. He will have parole in a few years, and if im there and have a home set up it will increase our chances.

yes it is a challenge, but being apart is more.

we need to do things right. I cant be stopped at boarder and not be able to enter US for some dum reason we missed. If i cant get in and he cant get out it will be a very sad day

Timeline

This is a DIY site and obviously your situation is well outside the norm. Legal guidance is in order.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

YOU are making much more of a simple situation, than there is.

Come on the K-1, and the EAD/AP arrive about 60 days, after you submit your AOS.

This is not a big deal, but you seem on making it much more complicated than it is.

Simplify, this situation, it is very easy, unless YOU are not telling us everything.

Make your life simple and easy, and enjoy your new life, God's speed!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum; multiple paths are being discussed. Post on this in an unrelated topic removed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Inappropriate post removed. Stick to answering the questions asked. One post returned to view without the quote~~

Hi NAAW,

I'm in the same situation as you, my husband is also currently in prison. Since you're gonna want to work as soon as you enter the US, I really don't think the K-1 visa is for you. You should go for the CR-1 visa, which means you'll be able to work once you move over. I am in the CR-1 process right now, our petition was approved and we are currently at the NVC, so it is definitely possible to immigrate while married to an inmate, it's the same process as for everyone else.

Why are you travelling with a tourism visa though? New Zealand is part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), so you can travel visa free as long as you don't stay longer than 90 days. You are also allowed to enter the US and get married under the VWP. When my husband and I got married, I entered the US under the VWP and had no problem. Just make sure you bring with you plenty of proof of ties to New Zealand, such as rent lease or mortgage confirmation from your bank, a letter from your employer, ownership of car etc. Everything that shows that you have strong ties to your home country, just incase.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process from a point of view from someone in the same situation as you.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is not fraud to marry in the US as a visitor. It is only fraud if you intend to enter as a visitor, get married and then stay and adjust status.

Here are your choices:

1) Come to the US as a visitor and marry, then file for a spousal visa, return home and wait there going through the process until the CR-1 visa is approved. You would then enter the US with the spousal visa and become a permanent resident upon entry.

2) Come to the US with a K-1 visa. Apply for SSN and marry within 90 days of entry, then file for adjustment of status. At that time, you also file for the I-765(EAD-work authorization) and I-131(AP-advance parole for travel). It takes about 60-90 days to receive the EAD/AP combo card, which will allow you to work(along with an SSN) and re-enter the US when traveling abroad while waiting for the green card approval.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

hi,

if you need to work immediately and LEGALLY, I would opt for the CR-1 visa. That's why we chose the route we did. my husband cannot just sit around and do nothing while waiting for his green card, so with the CR-1visa, you get the visa and then you get your green card right away. Although, I must tell you that I had a friend who didn't have a green card and she worked as a nanny for a family while she was in the US. They paid her cash and I guess that's why it worked out for her. So if you believe you can find something that pays cash while you are waiting for your green card, that could be an option as well.

If you go the K-1 route, you will eventually have to pay for an adjustment of status (AOS) and assuming money is tight, that might be a bit difficult as well. The CR-1 visa fees (+postage costs) add up to about $1,100US. That doesn't include my husbands flight from Fiji back to the US.

Also keep in mind that your husband/a joint sponsor will need to submit an Affidavit of support at some time stating that he/they will be financially responsible for you and you wont become a financial burden to the government (i.e. need food stamps, subsidies for housing, government assistant program, what have you). This step will include him/the joint sponsor submitting tax transcripts and proof of income as well. The joint sponsor must be living he US.

I hope I was able to help some...

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

How are you going to prove a bonafide marriage if your partner is an inmate?

It's done the same way as everyone else. Through photos, trips to the US, email/call logs, affidavite etc.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

OP said they have 10 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.