Memymine

baby sitting while on turist visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am naturalized usc.

My mom came to visit us when our baby was born last year and she stayed for 3 months. Next year and i want to start working part time and I wanted my mom to come back and help with the baby while we are at work. It will be for ~3-5hrs/day.

1.can she babysit my baby while she is on visitors visa?is this an allowed activity?

2.her visa is for10 years. Does she have to go back to she embassy before she buys her plane ticket?

3. Can she extend her visa for baby sitting reasons? What does the extension process involve?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. I am assuming the answer is no, but will you by paying your mom for her services?

2. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, no.

3. See here: http://www.***removed***/visitor-visa-extension/

Edit: Google "extend B-2 visa" and click on the first link for the answer to #3. It appears VJ censors the name of rival IMMIgration HELP websites.

Edited by sma1488

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Having your mother babysit takes the money out of the pocket of some US person so no it is not allowed. If they find out that is her intention her visa will be cancelled.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Coming specifically to babysit, I don't believe is a condition of the visa. What are you expecting her to stay 10 years??? An extension on visa is not for babysitting grandchildren. We had a discussion on this topic just recently. Your mother can come to visit, but not to specifically come to babysit while you work. What will you do if she is not allowed entry??? You will need to find childcare like everyone else.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

I am naturalized usc.

My mom came to visit us when our baby was born last year and she stayed for 3 months. Next year and i want to start working part time and I wanted my mom to come back and help with the baby while we are at work. It will be for ~3-5hrs/day.

1.can she babysit my baby while she is on visitors visa?is this an allowed activity?

2.her visa is for10 years. Does she have to go back to she embassy before she buys her plane ticket?

3. Can she extend her visa for baby sitting reasons? What does the extension process involve?

Thanks

No one can enter the USA with the idea of working without a proper legal visa. A tourist visa is not to be used as a nanny visa. Your mother would lose her B 2 visa. Paid for the service or not it doesn't matter its still considered working. Lying about the actual use of the visa could result in some serious consequences.

It would be a great idea to respect that fact that she was granted a 10 year tourist visa because many are denied.

Obviously I am not paying my mom for watching her grandson while I am out for a few hours some days. She comes with the purpose of seeing me and my baby but she would like to help just like my mom in law who is American citizen would do if she could . I wouldn't pay her either. If I didn't have parents to help I would have to pay someone . My grandparents stayed with us when my parents were at work but I guess American culture is different. Any way, thanks for the answers who seem to disagree with what some immigration attorneys say on other websites that I googled. Some say it's okay if not paid.it's FAMILY

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Obviously I am not paying my mom for watching her grandson while I am out for a few hours some days. She comes with the purpose of seeing me and my baby but she would like to help just like my mom in law who is American citizen would do if she could . I wouldn't pay her either. If I didn't have parents to help I would have to pay someone . My grandparents stayed with us when my parents were at work but I guess American culture is different. Any way, thanks for the answers who seem to disagree with what some immigration attorneys say on other websites that I googled. Some say it's okay if not paid.it's FAMILY

The attourney may say that but IO's do NOT. I've actually known many grandparents be denied at POE because they have said they're going to see their grand kids and help out. Technically ANYTHING that can be deemed taking away a job from a person in the USA is a reason for denial and possible cancellation of visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would disagree with everyone in this thread and say that it would be allowed under a B-2 visa. "Visit with friends or relatives" is a permitted activity according to the Dept. of State's website.

I think that when you specified the number of hours per day she would be caring for your child and said that it was so you could go back to work, you made the arrangement sound more formal than it actually will be. "Babysitting" implies some kind of work for pay. If part of your mother's "visit with relatives" involves her caring for your child while she is there, in addition to all of the other activities she will do, I don't consider that "taking money out of a US citizen's pocket."

If you want your mother here, then apply for her green card, you are now a US citizen.

She doesn't want to be a resident she only wants to visit family. I wasn't going to try extending the visa for 10years!!! Why you guys jump at conclusions so fast??

I just wanted to know if I could extend it for few more months until I get my summer vacation

Thanks for info

I would disagree with everyone in this thread and say that it would be allowed under a B-2 visa. "Visit with friends or relatives" is a permitted activity according to the Dept. of State's website.

I think that when you specified the number of hours per day she would be caring for your child and said that it was so you could go back to work, you made the arrangement sound more formal than it actually will be. "Babysitting" implies some kind of work for pay. If part of your mother's "visit with relatives" involves her caring for your child while she is there, in addition to all of the other activities she will do, I don't consider that "taking money out of a US citizen's pocket."

I said babysitting and I explained that I meant watching(sitting with the baby) for a few hours. I didn't mean that she would be my nanny.

Thanks

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

No one can enter the USA with the idea of working without a proper legal visa. A tourist visa is not to be used as a nanny visa. Your mother would lose her B 2 visa. Paid for the service or not it doesn't matter its still considered working. Lying about the actual use of the visa could result in some serious consequences.

It would be a great idea to respect that fact that she was granted a 10 year tourist visa because many are denied.

Triple thumbs up!

Timeline

Hi,

I am naturalized usc.

Thanks

" I want to start working---- its will be for 3 to 5 hrs per day".

She doesn't want to be a resident she only wants to visit family. I wasn't going to try extending the visa for 10years!!! Why you guys jump at conclusions so fast??

I just wanted to know if I could extend it for few more months until I get my summer vacation

Thanks for info

I said babysitting and I explained that I meant watching(sitting with the baby) for a few hours. I didn't mean that she would be my nanny.

Thanks

Babysitting or nanny? Best way to find out is to simply tell USCIS what she has in mind when she attempts the entry. That's is where the amount of time is determined. She can just tell them she wants to be a babysitter while the OP is at work. No conclusions need to be made other than yes or no and that will happen very quickly. Isnt is clear that the visa would be used for visiting family and becoming a babysitter for someone that is at work?

Timeline

It would be great if Mom could come. Her purpose is isn't about seeing you or this baby. She just left after staying 90 days. Her purpose would be to make it easier and cheaper for you to go to work. She solves one huge problem.

The problem USCIS has is that has nothing to do with the reason for a B2 or the purpose it was issued for. So its not about culture; rather the law.

Hire one of those lawyers but tell them there will be no fee if the visa isn't approved. In fact have them pay the visa application fee and they can bill you at the end when they have done what they said.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.