FrankSinatra

concerns about aos on visa waiver program

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody, I have been reading the guides and now I kind of know what I have to do and how, but I have some concerns about this whole situation, so now Im going to write down my history so maybe you guys can guide me a little.

I entered the country around a month ago and when I entered, the border agent started to question my intentions, he never sent me to another room or checked my things, nothing like that. He just asked me how long I was going to stay and he automatically said he didnt like me because I was spending too much time in the country and said I was abusing my ESTA by travelling too much, he said he would send me back home and revoke the esta, but at the end for some reason he called another agent who asked me if I was a student, had a job and what I Was going to do here. I said I was visiting my girlfriend and Im a university student. Then the first agent, gave me back  my passport and said "welcome, enjoy it, I will keep you tracked though" . I dont know if it all was just to scare me since they never sent me to another room or asked more questions but Im still kind of scared.

I never got questioned about my relationship or intentions to marry her.

Its been a month and we never planed it, but my girlfriend (who is a us citizen) and I want to get married and want to stay together. So we are thinking about getting married and applying for the aos.

Is this a risky process? Could I be deported for doing this even if my intention was never to do it? We just cant handle being apart anymore, the distance is so hard and after the first time we met, it felt even harder, we dont want to go throught it all over again.

It was likely just to scare you. Since your intentions weren't to get married and the fact that you were admitted into the country and therefore they deemed your intent was not to get married. I don't think you have anything to be worried about 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
25 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

Hello everybody, I have been reading the guides and now I kind of know what I have to do and how, but I have some concerns about this whole situation, so now Im going to write down my history so maybe you guys can guide me a little.

I entered the country around a month ago and when I entered, the border agent started to question my intentions, he never sent me to another room or checked my things, nothing like that. He just asked me how long I was going to stay and he automatically said he didnt like me because I was spending too much time in the country and said I was abusing my ESTA by travelling too much, he said he would send me back home and revoke the esta, but at the end for some reason he called another agent who asked me if I was a student, had a job and what I Was going to do here. I said I was visiting my girlfriend and Im a university student. Then the first agent, gave me back  my passport and said "welcome, enjoy it, I will keep you tracked though" . I dont know if it all was just to scare me since they never sent me to another room or asked more questions but Im still kind of scared.

Its been a month and we never planed it, but my girlfriend (who is a us citizen) and I want to get married and want to stay together. So we are thinking about getting married and applying for the aos.

Is this a risky process? Could I be deported for doing this even if my intention was never to do it? We just cant handle being apart anymore, the distance is so hard and after the first time we met, it felt even harder, we dont want to go throught it all over again.

You are kind of saying 2 different things here.

But they let you in and I guess according to you you changed your mind in only a month so you should be fine to adjust. Just remember you can't leave the country before either AP or GC.

When coming to adjust your status the most important thing is that your relationship is real. Many people here say that intent doesn't matter. Since you were admitted, legally, you shouldn't have any problems. 

I would recommend that you do everything legally though just in case the tracking claim is correct. Do not overstay your visa, make sure you file for adjustment of status before this expires so that you can stay. 

Edited by Jordan8768

Timeline

Sorry what I meant is that they never asked about my relationship or if I had intentions to get married and stay (which I didnt have back then).

We have been dating for 2 years on the distance, we met one time before and spent 3 beautiful and perfect months together and this is our second time together and we dont want to go through the distance anymore. We have endless amounts of conversations on facebook, skype, texts, we have hundreds and hundreds pictures together, with her family, in theme parks and all kind of situations and places so I believe there is no way nobody will doubt or relationship. Our only concern is ice knocking the door while Im adjusting status or something bad like deportation happening because lately things are pretty messy with the whole immigration subject

Timeline
2 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

Sorry what I meant is that they never asked about my relationship or if I had intentions to get married and stay (which I didnt have back then).

We have been dating for 2 years on the distance, we met one time before and spent 3 beautiful and perfect months together and this is our second time together and we dont want to go through the distance anymore. We have endless amounts of conversations on facebook, skype, texts, we have hundreds and hundreds pictures together, with her family, in theme parks and all kind of situations and places so I believe there is no way nobody will doubt or relationship. Our only concern is ice knocking the door while Im adjusting status or something bad like deportation happening because lately things are pretty messy with the whole immigration subject

They won't do that. Right now you are here on the ESTA after you send in the AOS you are allowed to stay while the petition is pending so no worries about that at all.

The highlighted are illegal immigrants.

Edited by Georgia16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Unless you break a law or commit a crime, they have no reason to deport you.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

2 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

As long as you do everything legally you cannot be deported. Just make sure you file before the end of your visa and you'll be fine. If you go out of status, that period of time on the VWP you have no rights and can be deported 

Timeline

Thank you so much guys, so as long as I get married and apply for the aos before the 90 days, I Wont be in troubles?

I really cant wait for all of this be over so I can be in peace and start a happy new life with my loved one this whole situation is pretty stressful

17 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

Thank you so much guys, so as long as I get married and apply for the aos before the 90 days, I Wont be in troubles?

I really cant wait for all of this be over so I can be in peace and start a happy new life with my loved one this whole situation is pretty stressful

Yes. Just make sure you get everything sent off before the end of the 90 days. I kept the tracking number and receipt after I sent it off for my piece of mind. It's not the end of the world if you file after the 90 days but during that period of out of status you are at risk so just get it done asap after you get married. 

Good luck and if you have any questions make sure you ask!!!

Timeline

Im pretty anxious already so I will make sure to send everything right the day after of my wedding haha. I spoke to a lawyer through the phone and he adviced me to get married after 70 days of my arrival. So I will get married around the 70 day, the 71 day I will go to the uscis to get the forms, file them and ask them for help to fill them if needed, and send everything the 72-73 day. Will this be fast and safe enough? Thank you for the help :)

Timeline
50 minutes ago, FrankSinatra said:

Im pretty anxious already so I will make sure to send everything right the day after of my wedding haha. I spoke to a lawyer through the phone and he adviced me to get married after 70 days of my arrival. So I will get married around the 70 day, the 71 day I will go to the uscis to get the forms, file them and ask them for help to fill them if needed, and send everything the 72-73 day. Will this be fast and safe enough? Thank you for the help :)

There is no Way they Will help you with that. You can print out the forms on their webpage there are also instructions and so on and otherwise you can use the top tap 'guide' for help also. 

Do do you already have your birth certificate? 

3 hours ago, FrankSinatra said:

It is assumed that you intend to stay....YOU must prove that it was not your intention to stay when you entered.  They can "track" you as the agent warned.  I would be very careful.  I would not get married on this trip.  I would go home before the visa expires and do a K-1...but that's just me.  I tend to err on the side of caution.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.