Jens79

Passport needed when you hold a green card?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi!

This is far from the most important question, but I was thinking about it and maybe some (European) green card holder can tell me how it works when travelling as a green card-holder, primarily to and from Europe, since I'm a Swedish citizen. 

There is absolutely no real reason to leave your passport behind when travelling, but my question is: if you're in possession of a European national ID-card and a US green card, could you (at least in theory) travel only on those two cards between the EU and the US? It works perfectly fine to enter an EU-country with only the ID-card, even if you're coming from a country outside of the EU. (The practical reason is that you will arrive at the same part of the airport and pass through the same passport control as if you've been visiting the EU-countries outside of Schengen-area and from the border control's point of view the ID-card is as good as a passport, since it proves your citizenship and you eligibility to enter.) Since I'm not yet a green card holder, I'm not sure if you actually need your passport to enter the US or if the green card is enough. But if the green card is enough, would you then be able to actually just leave your passport behind and travel only with those two cards, the national ID-card from your EU-country and the green card? Would the check-in staff accept it? What about the TSA when you're going through security and finally would the airline staff at boarding accept the green card instead of a passport? And in the other direction, would the airline accept your national ID-card if you're flying to Europe? 

Edited by Jens79

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You need a passport when traveling internationally period.  You cannot get on a flight without one.  You can't even book an international flight without a passport #.  If you are traveling domestically within the USA you have to produce your government issued ID.....like a passport or drivers license.  But no you cannot enter the USA without a passport from another country.  You won't even make it on the plane. If they can't scan your passport you aren't coming here.  They aren't taking your ID card. 

Edited by USAMorocco

3 minutes ago, USAMorocco said:

You need a passport when traveling internationally period.  You cannot get on a flight without one.  You can't even book an international flight without a passport #.  If you are traveling domestically within the USA you have to produce your government issued ID.....like a passport or drivers license.  But no you cannot enter the USA without a passport from another country.  You won't even make it on the plane. If they can't scan your passport you aren't coming here.  They aren't taking your ID card. 

That is not correct. Plenty of situations where you can fly and or travel without a passport.  Passport will save you time an questions when checking in, but still not an absolute requirements for all, all the time.  I have flown without a passport and this is a situation I have seen regularly. 

Green card holders can enter the USA with their green card. Can also fly to Jamaica and a few other places.  

For the curious ones, look up the IATA document requirements tool - many links but reliable here: https://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/find_visa_requirements/find_visa_requirements.aspx  

Always confirm with your airline.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Got it! That's what I thought too. I was just playing with the thought that it could be enough with those two documents to make a whole trip. If I'm flying from Sweden to the UK (who has passport controls also for EU-citizens) then it's perfectly fine with only the ID-card. I just have to enter that number instead of the passport number, and that led me to think that you might be able to do the same with a green card.

So when you enter the US on a GC, you present both your passport AND your GC to the CBP-officer, is that how it works?

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

That is not correct. Plenty of situations where you can fly and or travel without a passport.  Passport will save you time an questions when checking in, but still not an absolute requirements for all, all the time.  I have flown without a passport and this is a situation I have seen regularly. 

Green card holders can enter the USA with their green card. Can also fly to Jamaica and a few other places.  

For the curious ones, look up the IATA document requirements tool - many links but reliable here: https://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/find_visa_requirements/find_visa_requirements.aspx  

Always confirm with your airline.  

Well when my family was robbed in Costa Rica they were told by the good ol' USA government they need their passports to get back in the country.  They said NO ONE is admitted without a passport.  Therefore, they had to scramble to get to the embassy there and get new passport.  They would not allow my cousin's wife who holds a green card in without her passport.  They said absolutely not.  Coming from Puerto Rico would be different they said because it was a US territory.

Edited by USAMorocco

I can't advise on your family situation (how did they enter Costa Rica? are they US citiizens?) - maybe, passports were necessary for them.  What I know is that not everyone needs one to travel internationally [let's pretend the passport is lost on the plane, the US citizen would have to be admitted back in the United States - they have to admit their own citizens]. 

1 minute ago, USAMorocco said:

Well when my family was robbed in Costa Rica they were told by the good ol' USA government they need their passports to get back in the country.  They said NO ONE is admitted without a passport.  Therefore, they had to scramble to get to the embassy there and get new passport. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I recall something about a "passport card" when applying for my husbands US passport.  It specifically listed certain countries that allow US Citizens to enter without a passport, and when they return to the US, they just need to have that as sufficient proof of citizenship in order to be admitted back.

Another example: Canada.  CBSA lets my husband into Canada with his birth certificate and a piece government issued photo ID (NY state driver license.)  Going back into the US, he needed only that same ID as proof of his citizenship and domicile in the US. Of course, he has to go through secondary, but they can't refuse entrance to a citizen.  

In short, there are, albeit few, circumstances where a USC can travel outside the US without a passport and have no issues, but it's likely more prudent and much easier to just have a passport. 

For those of us who have AP or a GC, you absolutely must have a passport from your country of citizenship in order to return to the US (admittance into another country is different.)  Additionally, depending on the length of time you're out of the US, you may require a re-entry permit. 

9 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

I recall something about a "passport card" when applying for my husbands US passport.  It specifically listed certain countries that allow US Citizens to enter without a passport, and when they return to the US, they just need to have that as sufficient proof of citizenship in order to be admitted back.

Another example: Canada.  CBSA lets my husband into Canada with his birth certificate and a piece government issued photo ID (NY state driver license.)  Going back into the US, he needed only that same ID as proof of his citizenship and domicile in the US. Of course, he has to go through secondary, but they can't refuse entrance to a citizen.  

In short, there are, albeit few, circumstances where a USC can travel outside the US without a passport and have no issues, but it's likely more prudent and much easier to just have a passport. 

For those of us who have AP or a GC, you absolutely must have a passport from your country of citizenship in order to return to the US (admittance into another country is different.)  Additionally, depending on the length of time you're out of the US, you may require a re-entry permit. 

Again, this is incorrect.  Straight from CBP:
"Q: How are U.S. lawful permanent residents (LPRs) affected by the passport requirement?
A: LPRs are able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States."

Passport will simplify every encounter with airline employees, and entry to many countries, but LPRs can re-enter the United States showing only their green cards.  

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Again, this is incorrect.  Straight from CBP:
"Q: How are U.S. lawful permanent residents (LPRs) affected by the passport requirement?
A: LPRs are able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States."

Kind of conflicting information on there, bc it states just above that a passport is required for air travel (which is what the OP would be looking at from Europe).

That's weird.  I was going off what I've been told by CBP at land borders. 

The point is moot, almost, bc if you're here from another country, you needed a passport for whatever visa you entered on, so if you have one, why make things more difficult for oneself? 

LPRs can enter Canada with their green cards and re-enter the USA.  

As I said, you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you have a passport.  But, in some situations (ex. your passport is mailed to get a visa to country A, so you do not have it handy), and you need to fly to Jamaica to attend funerals, drive up to Canada to get some Timbits, or want to cruise to Bermuda... well you can!   

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

LPRs can enter Canada with their green cards and re-enter the USA.  

As I said, you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you have a passport.  But, in some situations (ex. your passport is mailed to get a visa to country A, so you do not have it handy), and you need to fly to Jamaica to attend funerals, drive up to Canada to get some Timbits, or want to cruise to Bermuda... well you can!   

LOL at the timbits!  

Hmmm... I'm going to test this next month (when I assume I'll have my passport again - just incase it doesn't work.)  Just seems weird bc they've always told me only USC can enter without a passport, but I guess that's me just hearing something and believing it bc it came from a CBP agent. 

I'll PM you my address, send some Timbits my way :D 

If you drive to Canada:

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Then the CBP website I put earlier also has details on entry to the USA by land. 

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
2 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I can't advise on your family situation (how did they enter Costa Rica? are they US citiizens?) - maybe, passports were necessary for them.  What I know is that not everyone needs one to travel internationally [let's pretend the passport is lost on the plane, the US citizen would have to be admitted back in the United States - they have to admit their own citizens]. 

Their hotel room was robbed while they were on the beach.  When they called the US embassy to find out if they could come home using their DL they said absolutely not.  You need a passport to re-enter. Let me give you a word of advice...if you are ever overseas or any place else and you lose your passport be prepared for a nightmare having to fax and recieve paperwork.  Maybe you can use your green card.  I just know booking any flight....out of the country you need to put a passport number in.  I even recently tried booking a flight for my family (2 kids, me, and my husband) and without my son's passport who will be an infant when we travel....they will not book it until I have his passport number.  They want my husband's passport # who is not a US citizen and my son's that I don't bavhave a passport for yet cause he isn't born yet.  Maybe different airlines have different rules. 

theoretically any LPR are admitted only showing his Green Card and any ID like from your country. But i´d certainly never take this risk because internationally this is the only document in your hands do you have to show as a prove that you've entered to USA. There is an option called trusted traveller but Sweden citizen are not into the list of beneficiaries countries.

more information here

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident#reenter 

or

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

Edited by inloveVEN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.