MyTrip

US B2 Visa for Unemployed?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Have interview coming up soon for US visa. I'm married , i have children and we all have resident permit ireland, i've been here 8 years, i'm unemployed but getting disability payment and other payments for my children weekly and monthly as some of them have disability problems and so i'm a family carer. Here is my travel plan as stated in my DS160 form:

Purpose of trip to US: Conference, conference is for family carers 
2 days hotel booked in conference state.
Date of arrival in US: 28th April, Conference date in is 29th April
I will spend one day 30th April in another state different from conference state, to say hello to my inlaw, but i won't stay with them. Will also visit the museum there. So one day hotel booked for this. Will 1000e or 1500e balance in account from me & my spouse be enough proof of financial means for this trip? I will be traveling alone.
Departure from US: 31 April
Arrival flight: unknown
Arrival city: NJ or MD, flight not confirmed.
Previously refused visa B2 visa13 years ago, but can't remember the actual date, but i stated the year in Ds160 form. 
I have siblings in US who are US citizens and legal residents, but i won't stay with them, i will stay in hotel.
Marital status: I'm married, (have children)
I've been to UK twice 12 years ago but this not in the last 5 years as questioned. Can this affect me as its very long time i travel last?
My worry is my occupation as my income is from state not direct employer? Also i'm awaiting my security licence to enable me work too and i have proof.

Duration of stay in US: 3 days, i & my wife have been saving for this trip have like 2000 balance in my account. Purpose of going to US is to attend disability conference and sightseeing for one day, conference location is different from sightseeing location and to see my inlaws in sightseeing location but i wont stay with inlaw, so its two different states. already booked hotel, do i stand a chance when am not working? do i need more ties like job?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You say your in-laws are nearby in the USA, does that mean your wife is a US citizen?

Do you know why your last tourist visa was denied?

This may be too personal to answer here, but why do you need to travel all the way to the USA for a carers confernece, are you caring for a family member with a very specific, rare condition?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Penguin_ie said:

You say your in-laws are nearby in the USA, does that mean your wife is a US citizen?

Do you know why your last tourist visa was denied?

This may be too personal to answer here, but why do you need to travel all the way to the USA for a carers confernece, are you caring for a family member with a very specific, rare condition?

No my wife is not a US citizen. We're from the same country. My wife brothers are US Legal permanent Residents because their wives are US citizens. I also have my own siblings in US who are US Legal Permanent Residents and US citizen, however, i am not staying with them during my visit. I will only attend my conference, and i will say hellow to my inlaws as their state of residence is more closer to where i will attend conference. Hotel booked for the 3 days trip. Yes i am carer because i am caring for two of my children who has disability problems, thus the government recognized me as carer, i have medical documents from disability section as proof. I also have letter from my wife consenting to this trip as what i will learn their will increase chance of my two child reaching their full potential. In addition, i have flight ticket that i've already paid for a trip to my country to attend my mum's burial and the trip is still about a month after i attend my conference in US. I hope they approve me. I was refused once in 2003 and the officer said i was still young and that i need to build my ties, i was single then and still in school. 

It's a long shot to attend a carer's conference while you are on disability.  There's a chance your siblings' status in the US may show you as an overstay risk. 50-50 odds; carry evidence of your ties to country of residence. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline
18 minutes ago, KierenHby said:

It's a long shot to attend a carer's conference while you are on disability.  There's a chance your siblings' status in the US may show you as an overstay risk. 50-50 odds; carry evidence of your ties to country of residence. 

I don't get that. I have been to the UK twice to visit my sister and i never overstay, that was 13 years ago. It would be disastrous for me if i overstay my visa, i can't imagine leaving my family and my responsibilities for days no to talk of weeks. My wife, my children and i are inseparable. I hope consular officer approve me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you think it is not an issue why have you sought out this forum and asked, apply and find out  like anybody else.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

If you think it is not an issue why have you sought out this forum and asked, apply and find out  like anybody else.

Not saying is an issue, just saying why i will return.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
13 hours ago, MyTrip said:

I don't get that. I have been to the UK twice to visit my sister and i never overstay, that was 13 years ago. It would be disastrous for me if i overstay my visa, i can't imagine leaving my family and my responsibilities for days no to talk of weeks. My wife, my children and i are inseparable. I hope consular officer approve me. 

What is unfortunate for you and thousands of people all over the world is that many many people have told the consular officers how they would never leave their families and changed their minds about 15 minutes after getting out of a US airport.

That doesn't mean that's what you're planning, but it is what's in the mind of the consular officers for EVERY applicant they see.

All you can do is try, concentrate on reasons why you have to return to Ireland.

They will probably ask why someone on a very low income would spend thousands of dollars to travel halfway round the world, for just a few days.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is worth applying for, but one thing to keep in mind, even if you are granted a tourist visa, you can still be denied at POE. In the end, it is the CBP officer that has the final say of whether you are admissible or not. My wife was approved for a B2 about 5 years ago but has been denied at POE. Since you are flying, you will be detained in the airport until they can put you on the next flight home. Be very wary. 

19 minutes ago, MyTrip said:

It could go either way? Don't understand that?

It means you do have some ties to return home so it may be approved. It also may not be considered enough ties so it could be denied. I'm not sure how tough the Ireland COs are for tourist visas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 01/04/2017 at 6:16 AM, MyTrip said:

Not saying is an issue, just saying why i will return.

Like everyone says, give it a try and let us know. You just have to prove that you're coming back. You can also say that the conference is very important because you will use the knowledge you'll learn to take care of your children. You can show your savings too. I will also suggest not to mention that you'll visit your inlaws unless you were asked. Goodluck! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One mispost and related replies removed to prevent confusion to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.