Djmblour

Help me!! i think i might get my K1 visa denied

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I am posting thi as a call for help.

I was born in IRAQ, MOSUL. I lived there with my parents and my sister. When i was approximately 1 ½ years old we fled from the Iraq war when Saddam was still in charge. We fled to Iran and Turkey. And now we are living in Sweden, Örebro.

When we fled, we lost all of our documents, which is my issue now, since we dont have any of our documents and the hospital i was born in has burnt down because of ISIS.

I have applied for a fiance visa to the United States of America (K1 VISA) and i am about to marry the love of my Life.

A few weeks ago i finally got the news that i have been accepted and i will attend an interview at the embassy in Stockholm.

When they sent me the letter of what is requried to bring to the interview, among many things was my iraqi ID, certificate of being an iraqi nationality and a birth certificate. But these three specific doxument i the documents that i do now have and can not obrain. things i have been worried and Crying about because during the war, Everything was burnt down and we had nothing left and i dont know where to get all these things from. Please help me.

I need to get these Three documents Before december 1 (when i attend my interview). Today i drove a 3h way to the stockholm embassy of Iraq to speak to them and the consult there was being very rude telling me he can not give me a certificate saying that they can not issue my birth certificate and therefore i will have to use a notsrized affidavit from my parents. He kept refusing and telling me i have to go to Iraq then because they dont have good relations with the US and therefore he cant help me. Tomorrow im going to the US embassy in sweden to talk to them i jist have no idea what to say. Please help me. I have not seen the love of my life for slmost 11 months, i am desperate.

Oh and we föed 19 years ago*

Fled*

The three documents i do NOT have* oh my, my english....

This page has instructions for what to do in case a document is unobtainable (even mentions fire): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/IZ.html

If the Ministry of Health has no record of the subject's birth, either because the birth was never registered, or because the record was lost (i.e. during a fire, etc), then the subject can appear at the Nationality Directorate and present his family's identifications and they affirm that the subject-to-be-registered was in fact born on "x" date. The Nationality Directorate uses that information to register the birth via a document called "Family Book", which is like the family tree of the immediate family.

Identity Card

Available: Yes

Fees: None

Document Name: "Al betaqa alshakhsiyah"or "aljinssiyah"

Issuing Government Authority: The Nationality Directorate (Mudeeriyat Al-Jenssiyah).

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The seal of the Nationality Directorate and letter pressed Serial number (letter-press, red ink) and official hologram

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Nationality Directorate

Registration Criteria: The Nationality Directorate keep record of all citizens. They issue the ID according to birth certificate. Subject can renew or get a new ID if lost.

Certified Copies Available: Not available

Alternate Documents: None

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Thank you but i have already read that and in order for me to be able to order one i need to send them a A Certificate of Iraqi nationality of the citizen which i dont have. So its impossible. Thank you for the effort

You should have sorted this out way before you even applied for the K-1. All k-1s need to show birth certificates, and I have seen things like people move heaven and earth to get a Korean birth certificate after being adopted at birth and speaking no korean. Are you a designated refugee? Do you have Swedish citizenship now?

Your fiance might have to move to Sweden.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Well i had no idea i had to get it for them. I dont know how much you knew before applying for the K1 but we did not know so much, especially when i been a swedish citizen for 19 years, the last thing i thought was a birth certificate that dont exist. But yes my family and i were refugees when we came here.

General Documents

Although these documents are theoretically available from Iraqi authorities, frequently they may be withheld in individual cases for political or other reasons. In other cases applicants may be reluctant to obtain documents for fear of retribution. There are two type of personal identification documents typically possessed by Iraqi nationals: 1) Iraqi ID card "Aljinssiyah", and 2) Nationality Certificate "Shahadat aljinssiyah".

Maybe some relief.

The issue is that if the documents are actually available you will need to get them. If they are not actually available you can have your parents write affidavits. You might want to hire a lawyer. This will take time I suspect, and you need all this stuff for Adjustment of Status in the US too. Google "no birth certificate available US immigration."

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You got an appointment to speak with them at the American embassy? Or are you just planning on showing up? I hope it is the former because their security is tight.

Have you tried emailing the American embassy?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

As far as I know, you can't just 'show up' at an American embassy. They will not see you.

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

It's hard for countries that no longer exist or are in the middle of extreme conflicts to provide documents. We read about the city of your birth nowadays as a center of a war theater like no other in recent years. There must be a provision that allows for missing documents in such cases. There are people with no known place/date of birth too. And they somehow get through.

Since you've spent all your life in Sweden and are presumably a Swedish citizen, can your government help with that? How does Swedish law treat cases like yours? You're probably not the only one without those documents there. See how is it handled in your locality. I would start there.

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

As above, you can't just show up at the Embassy. You'll be wasting a three hour trip.

When I went for my interview a few weeks ago there was two separate lines; one for people with actual appointments and the other was for people just there in the hope of getting seen and the guy at security told me they'll be waiting in that line all day and then get turned away when the building shuts.

Obviously it could be very different in Sweden but that's how it was in London.

Also, with respect... you being born in a 'high risk country' would make me assume that they're going to be extra hot on ensuring all of your paperwork is 100% in order.

Edited by BenjaminKeating

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Djmblour, I am sorry you have to go through all this. It's a long and confusing process for everyone, but I really cannot imagine what you're going through.

You said you're a Swedish citizen. As someone said above, I think you should try the Swedish government first, and see what the procedure is on these cases. I'm sure there's something they can do. How did you get your citizenship in Sweden? Normally, one needs to provide their birth certificate to apply for citizenship too. So I guess whatever you used to get Swedish citizenship (refugee status, whatever) is the key.

You could also maybe ask for a document from Swedish authorities stating the whole process of how you became a citizen, and your special situation, and why you dont have a birth certificate, and the fact that you've been living in Sweden most of your life.

Just some ideas. I wish you the best. Good luck! :)

Timeline

Hi. Thank you everyone. I did not go there. When we came to Sweden the UN helped us and since this was 19 years ago they had given my

Parents documents to the immigration services here in Sweden and i have spoken to them and they have closed the files and we are not allowed to get a hold of them anymore because it been so long. I have already been to the local swedish government and they all forward me to the US embassy and when i call or email them either they dont answer or they tell me to go on their site which is not too much help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.