Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd like to have my fiancee come and stay in the US with me for as long as possible while we're waiting for the NOA2, but from what I hear, Filipinos aren't allowed to travel to the US unless they are rich, or come from a wealthy family, otherwise poor Filipinos (99% of the country) are refused because they can't demonstrate an significant ties to their own country - pretty discriminatory in my eyes, but hey, that's life right?

I notice most of the people posting here come from a western country, so of course they can travel to the US as they please. Does anyone know if there's a chance for my fiancee to visit me here? I'd really like her to meet my family finally and see what life is like here if this is where we'll be living for the rest of our lives.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Great thread! Of course I found it after my own "hey can I visit" thread lol

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with travelling on a monthly basis? I travel monthly to see my fiance now. I am *always* asked where I'm going, why, how do I know him, do I *actuually* know him in person, what do I do for work, and what proof do they have that I'm returning?

I'm a government empolyee so I guess that gives me some kind of credit in their eyes. Can I expect the process to be much different once we are married and file for the I-130?

I guess one plus is there's consistant proof for the past 3 years that I return when I say I will, but for me it would be heart breaking to be turned away for something as dumb as pushing my luck too often :)

yes i visited 3 times so far while going through process and the last time in January, the last time was questioned more but i had proof of payment of NOA1 and employment I needed to return to in Uk. The only thing she wanted to see was payment proof and thats all... i was just polite and courteous and answered questions truthfully. The officer asked was i going to be married at this time and i said No i wouldnt spend money on starting process to just stuff it up...... she said fair enough just some do...... so All in all no real issues...expected harder time

th_st-georges-day-flag.jpg

K1 visa - 10/25/2011 - 7 months 2 days

Married - 06/26/2012

AOS - 07/31/2012 - 2months 18 days

Process from filing 129-f to AOS approval 349 Days

• 1 month later...

Why hesitate? The worst that could happen is that they say no. Even if they do, it doesn't impact your visa at all. You'll just have to disclose it when they ask if you've ever been denied at the border. It's honestly no big deal.

Bring plenty of ties to your home country and you should be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Why hesitate? The worst that could happen is that they say no. Even if they do, it doesn't impact your visa at all. You'll just have to disclose it when they ask if you've ever been denied at the border. It's honestly no big deal.

Bring plenty of ties to your home country and you should be fine.

I know it wouldnt impact on my visa, I hesitate because I would have paid a trip for nothing, and it would be a very big frustration to know my fiancé is just behind the door and I can't see him...

I know it wouldnt impact on my visa, I hesitate because I would have paid a trip for nothing, and it would be a very big frustration to know my fiancé is just behind the door and I can't see him...

Maybe you could have your fiance visit you instead if you're worried?

Considering how long this process takes I wouldn't deny yourself the option to visit at all if you can afford the trip. You're not from a high fraud country and I am almost 100% certain that the border agent can clearly see on the screen that you are in process for a visa. Just be honest and say that you you are there to visit your fiance while your visa is in process. Show ties to your home country and a return ticket and there shouldn't be a problem. My husband (then fiance) visited me 3 times during our wait. He never had a problem :)

I am still hesitating to go to USA while visa is pending. If anyone has been accepted/denied at Boston's customs please let me know. Thank you.

7y6qm4.png
.....................................................................................................................................................
ROC Journey
09/23/13 - Sent I-751 Packet

09/27/13 - Received NOA1

10/07/13 - Received Biometrics Letter, appt sched for 10/31

10/09/13 - Received Transfer Notice. Case transferred to CSC Dated 10/08/13

10/31/13 - Attended Biometrics

02/18/14 - Approved!

02/26/14- 10 Year GC received!! exp. 2024!!

.....................................................................................................................................................

AOS Journey
8/13/11 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131 Petitions off together
8/18/11 - Received Email NOA1 for all three petitions
8/24/11 - Received Biometrics Appointment
9/13/11 - Had Biometrics Appointment
10/19/11 - EAD/AP Approval Text/Email / 10/27/11 - EAD/AP Card Received in Mail!
11/18/11 - Interview Text/Email for Dec 21st!
12/21/11 - Interviewed & APPROVED!
12/27/11 - Welcome to USA Letter & GC Received!!

K-1 Visa Journey
1/06/11 - Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox
1/07/11 - Packet received and sent on to VT
1/10/11 - NOA1 / 1/14/11 - NOA1 arrived by mail
5/09/11 - NOA2!! (Took 119 Days) / 5/12/11 - NOA2 arrived by mail
5/17/11 - NVC Received
5/18/11 - NVC Sent
5/20/11 - Embassy Received
6/11/11 - Packet 3 Sent
6/14/11 - Packet 3 signed for by someone called "KOKO"
6/15/11 - Medical / 6/20/11 - Medical Logged
6/23/11 - Packet 3 Logged
6/30/11 - Packet 4 Received (with original interview date of 7/25)
7/04/11 - Packet 4 Received (with new interview date of 7/13)
7/13/11 - Interview!! APPROVED!!!
7/15/11 - Visa in Hand
7/29/11 - POE JFK

8/06/11 - Wedding Day!
heart.gif

I personally wouldn't even mention the visa. I haven't seen anyone confirm that they can even tell a visa is in process. Simply "visiting my fiance" is a good enough answer. I'm a believer in only offering the information they're asking for. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Considering how long this process takes I wouldn't deny yourself the option to visit at all if you can afford the trip. You're not from a high fraud country and I am almost 100% certain that the border agent can clearly see on the screen that you are in process for a visa. Just be honest and say that you you are there to visit your fiance while your visa is in process. Show ties to your home country and a return ticket and there shouldn't be a problem. My husband (then fiance) visited me 3 times during our wait. He never had a problem :)

Our lawyer advised that it's not recommend to travel so I was sure not to go, until I've read this post and all the persons who has been accepted at the entry...The thing is im unemployed so I don't have a lot of proof to bring. But I have a lawyer, that means i want to do things legally! And I will have a wisdom teeth surgery before I move to USA, is it a good proof ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm visiting my fiance in one week, crossing in Buffalo. I've crossed this particular border many times without any problems... nothing beyond the basic questions (how long are you staying? where does he live? etc). However, this will be my first time saying "visiting my fiance" not "visiting my boyfriend", so I want to bring a letter from my employer stating when I'll be back at work.

If anyone would care to share an example of a letter from their employer that seemed to appease the lovelies at POE, it would be much appreciated!

I cross at the Peace Bridge all the time. The last two as 'visiting my fiance', they've never questioned me. Although, I'm a NEXUS member ...

09/11/2009 Met Online

04/17/2010 First In Person Date

03/23/2012 Engaged

06/01/2012 K-129F mailed

06/08/2012 NOA1

11/26/2012 NOA2

12/19/2012 Package 3 rec'd

12/20/2012 Package 3 sent

12/31/2012 Package 4 rec'd

02/15/2013 Medical appt in Toronto with Dr. Mascarenhas

03/04/2013 Interview @ Montreal Consulate - APPROVED!

03/06/2013 K1 Visa arrived at Loomis

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, I think I have the answer to this one but figured I would ask anyhow (my fiance is a bit concerned). We are submitting our I-129F on July 2nd (as his divorce will be finalized) and the plan is that he will be traveling July 4th to the US on his B-2 Visa which expires on July 10th, 2012. He is planning on staying for the full six months or as long as allowed by boarder agents on the arrival date. He is concerned that this travel may "look bad" when the K1 is looked at, my thought is, as long as he doesn't lie if asked at the boarder there is nothing wrong with him coming to visit and return on/before his set date on his I-94. We are hoping this puts us very close to his Packet 3 in Sydney and possibly him coming straight back.

Just curious as to what others think. Thanks for any advice or information you can offer..

For the person asking about Boston, my fiance has passed through there 4-5 times with no issues whatsoever. They're usually pretty pleasant, but can get busy and backed up so there may be a wait.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.