Darrinos

Denied in Indonesia

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hey all,

I am a US citizen, but my girl friend lives in Indonesia. She has been to the embassy 2 times now, and was denied both times. The first time she was unable to prove that she would return to Indonesia. It was understandable because of her answers. But the second time, she had documentation proving ties to Indonesia (family, bank records, ownership of a home, employment verification, etc.) and they wouldn't even look at these documents. They looked at the notes from her previous appointment and said that they felt she was still going to visit me. When did that become the issue? I thought the issue was "would she return?" She absolutely will! We want to apply for a K-1 later, but not yet, and she is not ready to move here. She still has property to sell and business to settle.

So my question is this: First, what if anything, can she do on her THIRD attempt? (I work with a guy who had to try 7 times and was successful, so please don't say it won't happen after 2 times.) My next question is how long should she wait until she tries again? Lastly, has anyone else had trouble at the Jakarta Embassy. It seems that they aren't very cooperative, friendly or easy to work with. It's almost as if they've just decided to not approve any visa of any kind there.

My girlfriend is now very pessimistic about the entire process, and has me wondering about the probability of making this work. Please someone, throw me some hope!

Thanks!

If she's applying for a visitors visa, she'll likely be denied yet again. She has a BF in the USA and they doubt her intentions to return home, but instead marry your and stay in the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Well, the thing is.... she is still married. Been separated for 5 years. She can prove that part. Even if she wanted to immigrate, being married, she cannot until the divorce is finalized. Will this prevent her from being a tourist to the US?

No, it will not prevent her from being a tourist at all. The thing is though is that the embassy already looks at people wanting a B1 visa as wanting to immigrate to the USA until proven otherwise by that person. So she has not proven to the embassy that she will return back to Indonesia, which like most of SE Asia is really hard to get a tourist visa to the USA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They will still deny her visit to the USA, they do not see her returning at all. Sorry but it is what it is.

Rather than her coming, why not visit her ?

If your final intent is marrying her, then start by processing her Divorce then apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa.

Edited by marianath

Timeline

I did visit her in December. I went to Jakarta. We are in the process of getting the divorce done. Her big concern now is not being able to get the K-1. Does this happen often? I told her if it becomes a problem, then I would go there to marry her and start the process from here. I'm so new to all of this... I naively thought this would be easy but it's way more complicated than I'd thought! Nevertheless, I'm in it for the long haul... we just wish there was a "guarantee" of success.

By the way.... I have also contacted my congressman who is going to investigate the reasons for denial and has promised to send a "letter of support" of sorts when she re-applies. Has anyone had any success going at it from this direction?

D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did visit her in December. I went to Jakarta. We are in the process of getting the divorce done. Her big concern now is not being able to get the K-1. Does this happen often? I told her if it becomes a problem, then I would go there to marry her and start the process from here. I'm so new to all of this... I naively thought this would be easy but it's way more complicated than I'd thought! Nevertheless, I'm in it for the long haul... we just wish there was a "guarantee" of success.

By the way.... I have also contacted my congressman who is going to investigate the reasons for denial and has promised to send a "letter of support" of sorts when she re-applies. Has anyone had any success going at it from this direction?

D

First of all congratulations on the path that both of you chose....

I am guessing that you already know the K1 process so good luck on that.

As for the "Letter of Support" it is totally useless.....

Edited by marianath

D

First of all, most of applicants who have romantic relationship with USC got denied for B-2 visa. I got denied once in 2011. My then-boyfriend ( my now husband) could not visit me to Indonesia due he was an active duty and Indonesia was on the list for travel warning for military members. We finally met in Singapore after I got denied for B-2 visa.

There's no guarantee they would approved it after another attempt. The CO wrote on the paper that my husband should apply for K-1 visa.

If you are really wanted she comes to visit you and she's not ready yet move to the US then she should finished the divorce, apply for K-1 ( most of times easy approval for beneficiaries in the US embassy in Jakarta), she comes to the US, meet your family and she can comes back to Indonesian before her I-94 expired and for K-1 visa holders usually up to 90 days.

There is nothing congressmen influence can overturned decision from Secretary of Department regarding this.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

The congressman will delegate his immigration liaison staffer to check with the embassy, which will then report the basis for the denial back to you.

And according to a former CO, those letters of support can not override a potential denial if such denial is based on merit.

Don't get your hopes up.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

I don't know that congress persons have free time to help foreigners to find out denial reasons smh

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Sure, but it's not because they are helping potential immigrants, it's because they are helping their votes. :)

Actually, I got the idea from a co-worker who came here from Nigeria. This is what his spouse did, and he said it helped. But most of the people in here seem to recommend against doing so.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

D

It's very easy to get a K-1 visa, much easier than a tourist visa for Indonesians.

And I'd recommend that over getting married in indonesia, then applying for a marriage visa. If you think dealing with US bureaucracy sucks, just wait until you have to deal with indonesian bureaucracy (which you'd have to do if you got legally married in Indonesia). It also takes longer to get a marriage visa than a K-1.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The "best way" for you two to be together as a married couple in the US would be:

1 - she gets divorced

2 - you two get married in Indonesia

3 - you file a spouse visa petition

K1 works well too. Having done a K1 once, I'd never choose that path again over the CR1/IR1 spouse petition.

B1 for her is going to be tough for all the reasons that you know. Congressperson/Senator isn't going to change the B1 decision.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Anh,

See? USMSBOW says just the opposite... to NOT get married there, and get the K1 instead. That's something that I'm noticing a lot... a lot of contradiction from story to story, but I suppose this is due to different countries. Am I right?

And I wonder if I made a mistake and didn't know it when this process first started? When she was first denied, I contacted the embassy in Jakarta via email to ask why she was denied. They told me because she was not able to prove that she did not intend to immigrate. I asked how to do that and they referred me to the website. So I wrote back and told them that she'd had all of that information to prove ties to Indonesia, but they never looked at it. They said the weren't required to look at it. So I wrote back once more and asked another question. Now, I fear I've made them angry with me because I questioned them. When my love went in the second time, they remembered my name! It makes me wonder if they are just being vindictive now? And it's so unfortunate, because I wasn't being rude at all, and she is such a wonderful woman.... wouldn't harm a fly. I was only trying to find answers and help resolve the matter, but I fear that I may have caused a problem and I'm not sure how to smooth things over. Not like I can call and talk to an officer.... can I? Should I?

Darrin

I don't know that congress persons have free time to help foreigners to find out denial reasons smh

Congressional offices have staffers to deal with constituent immigration matters, including liaising with Embassies. In short, to deal with US citizen requests.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.