Justme43

K1 petition denied

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi guys so I filed for K1 petition for my fiancé and his interview was Feb 1 last Monday. Initially his interview date was March 30 but we worked with the congresswoman in out city to have the date expedited because of medical reasons so we got a date of Feb 1. He was not interviewed when he was called but rather the CO just asked two questions. She had one of our pics in front of her and asked my fiancé who they were and he said his of the family the next question was what did you present at the time of your engagement, and he said drinks money and cloths in our traditional custom. Then the CO said I have bad new for you because in your culture engagement is considered marriage and therefore she denied the petition and gave him a white slip reading 221g and the status on their system states Admin Processing" So the Congresswoman emailed them and asked why they denied the petition and they said because in Ghana, our traditional engagement in marriage therefore the K1 petition is denied and we have to file I130. Money and time wasted and the energy to even ask attorneys about this is just a nightmare. Has anyone gone through this before and how did they proceed?? Please advise

Thanks

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't know if it is the same for Ghana, but Nigeria, regardless of tribe, the COs consider payment of brideprice (money, liquor, kolanuts) to be a traditional marriage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys so I filed for K1 petition for my fiancé and his interview was Feb 1 last Monday. Initially his interview date was March 30 but we worked with the congresswoman in out city to have the date expedited because of medical reasons so we got a date of Feb 1. He was not interviewed when he was called but rather the CO just asked two questions. She had one of our pics in front of her and asked my fiancé who they were and he said his of the family the next question was what did you present at the time of your engagement, and he said drinks money and cloths in our traditional custom. Then the CO said I have bad new for you because in your culture engagement is considered marriage and therefore she denied the petition and gave him a white slip reading 221g and the status on their system states Admin Processing" So the Congresswoman emailed them and asked why they denied the petition and they said because in Ghana, our traditional engagement in marriage therefore the K1 petition is denied and we have to file I130. Money and time wasted and the energy to even ask attorneys about this is just a nightmare. Has anyone gone through this before and how did they proceed?? Please advise

Thanks

Is that the custom there? If so nothing to do, but get married and file cr1. They little two question was his interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should file a I130.

But I'm curious though, I've been wondering why the Embassy in Ghana hasn't been scheduling interviews lately. Quite a number of people here are still waiting for their packet 3&4. When did you recieve your packet 3&4?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks

WOW sorry you didn't know paying a bride's price is a commitment to married. Traditional marriage. A BIG no no. Think about it this way. It's not about the piece of paper or registry civil ceremony. Traditional ceremony means more in Ghana and Nigerian culture than the formal white wedding or the registry wedding.

You have no choice but to get married. The K1 is dead. Sorry.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

As said by everyone else, you should get married, file the I130 using the guides here and request an expedite (if you'd like) just as you had for the K1. The CO thinks you're married at this point so there it doesn't make sense to appeal or file the K1 again.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So long as money or dowry is exchanged, you are married...

Young people of today, we are trying to change that tradition and making a church or court marriage the only legally binding marriage but the culture hasn't changed.

The "Kokooko" used to be just presentation of drinks only to show intent. But now, families want the intent and the payment of dowry at the same time.

Your partner paid the dowry so you are culturally and legally his wife.

You should go and register your marriage at court and file I-130 for the CR-1 route.

Good luck!

As said by everyone else, you should get married, file the I130 using the guides here and request an expedite (if you'd like) just as you had for the K1. The CO thinks you're married at this point so there it doesn't make sense to appeal or file the K1 again.

She is married by that exchange of money and dowry.

That is considered a traditional marriage in Ghana, your husband should know about that? You will have to file for a CR1 now, and also do the court marriage to get the marriage certificate.

She doesn't have to do "court marriage".. She only have to get it registered.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So long as money or dowry is exchanged, you are married...

Young people of today, we are trying to change that tradition and making a church or court marriage the only legally binding marriage but the culture hasn't changed.

The "Kokooko" used to be just presentation of drinks only to show intent. But now, families want the intent and the payment of dowry at the same time.

Your partner paid the dowry so you are culturally and legally his wife.

You should go and register your marriage at court and file I-130 for the CR-1 route.

Good luck!

She is married by that exchange of money and dowry.

She doesn't have to do "court marriage".. She only have to get it registered.

I guess it's just me, but I like traditional marriage not based on government documents. Marriage is between two people not a church or government. I don't know why it needs changed.

Timeline

Thanks

The good news is that, you can file your taxes as Married Filing Jointly (extra $$$).

You will need a certified copy of his passport and add his income to yours.

Good luck on your journey!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

I guess it's just me, but I like traditional marriage not based on government documents. Marriage is between two people not a church or government. I don't know why it needs changed.

I totally agree but in Ghana for instance. Traditional marriages allow men to marry more than one but the gov't or "legal" marriages do not allow that.

So a man with traditionally more than one wife can only register his marriage to only one of the wives.

In case of death without Will, the other wives are out of luck in the court of law.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Sorry to hear what happened, and like everyone said the k1 route is dead now. Proceed with the cr. Next time consider your choice of pictures wisely. This should be a lesson to all Ghanaian's Going the k1 route. The good news you can still file for something. Good luck ?

Timeline for N-400   
Package Sent ----> 3/13/17

Package Received ---> Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 3:50 am

CC Charged ---->  3/20/2017
NOA ----> 3/23/17                                                                                
Finger Prints ---> 4/14/2017 --> Early FP 4/12/17!!
Inline for an Interview notice received ---> 4/14/17
Interview Scheduled ---> Waiting for letter in the mail to see the actual date.  8/30/17
letter in the mail arrived ---> 9/5/17
Interview Date ---> 10/05/17
Oath ---> 10/12/2017

Sorry that you went through all this process and were denied. When you file for your marriage certificate, are you able to use the engagement date as the date of the marriage? If so, your husband might be eligible for IR1 instead of CR1 visa, which means he receives his 10yr green card upon arrival, instead of the conditional one.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry that you went through all this process and were denied. When you file for your marriage certificate, are you able to use the engagement date as the date of the marriage? If so, your husband might be eligible for IR1 instead of CR1 visa, which means he receives his 10yr green card upon arrival, instead of the conditional one.

Only if their wedding date is 2 years ago. IR1 requires marriage of 2 years, CR1 is below 2 years

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Only if their wedding date is 2 years ago. IR1 requires marriage of 2 years, CR1 is below 2 years

Upon entry.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.