Joui

Admission of drug use at st lukes, is my visa automatically denied

189 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone, i am the beneficiary of a k1/fiance visa. I live in the Philippines. My fiancee and i have already prcoessed everything and i just had my medical examination at St.Lukes Manila. The physical examinator then asked me if I have EVER used/smoked marijuana in my entire life. Since I though that it was long ago, and i was speaking to a doctor, i said yes during my college days tried puffing once. He did not comment anything and wrote the info he obtained. I then asked him if it will affect my application and he said he does not think so. He referred me to a psychiatrist which i have to attend to on July 31. Is our dream to be together in the US over?

I only learned about the ban/denial just after admitting it to the doctor when i searched the internet. Im so disappointed that a past youthful situation will fireback and be taken against me. What should i do? My interview is on august 31. Are the consuls more lenient nowadays and will consider my application if the psychiatrist clears me? Been reading articles that the us embassy to manila dn st lukes are so infamous in denying applicants unlawfully. Thanks

It may be a one year denial. If denied at the interview for medical reasons, you will know why.

If you do receive a denial, you may need to undergo quarterly testing during that year. If, at the end of the year all of your tests came back negative, you would probably get the visa if drugs was the only reason you didn't get it the first time around.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Phil. Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

~2 duplicate threads removed~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Hey thanks man. Are there any success stories with same case as mine here? You mean everyone gets denied and no one gets approved with this kind of case? Also, does the psychiatric report not a factor for the CO To approve mu visa? Can i request to st lukes to just administer drug test on me because I am sure that I am clean as we speak. Unlawful!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hey thanks man. Are there any success stories with same case as mine here? You mean everyone gets denied and no one gets approved with this kind of case? Also, does the psychiatric report not a factor for the CO To approve mu visa? Can i request to st lukes to just administer drug test on me because I am sure that I am clean as we speak. Unlawful!

Im not going to give you a success story. My roommate had applied for a visa to someone in the Philippines and at the medical she told the doctor that she tried drugs over 10 years ago. She went to the interview and she was denied her visa for drug use. He told me it was a permanent ban. I am pretty sure he told me the truth about what she told him. But, Im not to sure she told him everything, though Because from what I have learned that if you don't do drugs and have no record us such, you probably wont get a permanent ban. Even so you can try to get a waiver or you may just get the 1 year ban as if you stay clean be given another chance at a visa.

Timeline

Hey man thanks. What year did this happen? I believe from 2011 up to present the 1 year ban is the minimum? Im not really sire as im basing my knowledge from the internet. If ever i will be denied, and slapped a 1 year ban, and come clean next year, do i have to repeat this whole application???

Why not administer the drug test now to see if i am positive or not?and let the co decide from the existing reports.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What's 'unlawful' about this situation?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They used to be stricter on marijuana such that it was an automatic denial. Now they do like the other poster here said, administer quarterly drug tests for one year. Also one single use of marijuana more than 5 years ago can be called experimentation and not count as actual drug use.

Other drugs, like cocaine or heroin, you are definitely done.

At this point just move forward. If you are lucky, it will be called experimentation and not use and it will not even slow you down for that one year. But you are not done for life.

However if they make you take one or more drug tests make sure you pass them. If you fail any one of those then you are definitely done.

Timeline

Hi A1, when were you denied? What year?are you still serving the ban or are you in the Us already? What penalty did you serve?

Yes i heard that experimentation nowadays will not constitue automatically to a 1year ban.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Neither me nor my wife (well almost wife) smoke pot or ever smoked pot. But I do a lot of research.

P.S. I am the USC. I am an Arab but was born in New York City. My wife is the Filipina.

Edited by Al422

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

They used to be stricter on marijuana such that it was an automatic denial. Now they do like the other poster here said, administer quarterly drug tests for one year. Also one single use of marijuana more than 5 years ago can be called experimentation and not count as actual drug use.

Other drugs, like cocaine or heroin, you are definitely done.

At this point just move forward. If you are lucky, it will be called experimentation and not use and it will not even slow you down for that one year. But you are not done for life.

However if they make you take one or more drug tests make sure you pass them. If you fail any one of those then you are definitely done.

Can you post a government link to this information?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone, i am the beneficiary of a k1/fiance visa. I live in the Philippines. My fiancee and i have already prcoessed everything and i just had my medical examination at St.Lukes Manila. The physical examinator then asked me if I have EVER used/smoked marijuana in my entire life. Since I though that it was long ago, and i was speaking to a doctor, i said yes during my college days tried puffing once. He did not comment anything and wrote the info he obtained. I then asked him if it will affect my application and he said he does not think so. He referred me to a psychiatrist which i have to attend to on July 31. Is our dream to be together in the US over?

I only learned about the ban/denial just after admitting it to the doctor when i searched the internet. Im so disappointed that a past youthful situation will fireback and be taken against me. What should i do? My interview is on august 31. Are the consuls more lenient nowadays and will consider my application if the psychiatrist clears me? Been reading articles that the us embassy to manila dn st lukes are so infamous in denying applicants unlawfully. Thanks

I couldn't readily find anything on having puffed on a marijuana cigarette (but didn't inhale ;) ) regarding a visa. There has to be something out there, but only info I found on the DOS site referenced trafficking in a controlled substance.

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/ineligibilities.html#visa

I hope you have no issues.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Yeah man a public info or announcement could be really helpful :) but i know for myself that the embassy has been more lenient about experimental issues. My friend who works as a med tech in st lukes manila told me not to worry. She said that her bosses told her that experimental use still has strong chance to get approved. Maximum penalty you can get is 1 yr delay and submitting yourself for quarterly drug testing. Once your cleared, you dont have to undergo thru the long process of re application(ds 160, repetition etc) as the visa will be issued immediately. Thats what she said. I hope its true as it is to my favor.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd share what happened to my friend's 18yo brother.

The brother did the medical sometime April or May 2012. Interview was June or July 2012. The boy got a visa denial (F2A category, child of LPR) because he admitted during the medical that he smoked marijuana. His last smoking incident was February 2012. He was given a one year ban.

I don't know if your case will be treated differently because it happened so many years ago. But kudos to you for being honest in the medical! Good luck.

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.