Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you need the number? get back to the SSA office, and ask for it.

One of two things will happen:

1. the SSA clerk will give it to you OR

2. the SSA clerk will tell you that your case had to undergo additional DHS/USCIS verification process.

So, go in on Friday, and ask la .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Nota.Bene.:

I have no backgrounders on how to get the SSN when holding an EAD card.

I have no backgrounders on how to get the SSN when a GREEN CARD is the first 'thing' you have ....

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you uncle Darnell. Yes since my surname now is my husband's surname and therefore the social security officer told me that they need to do verification with USCIS which lasts about one week. And the rest procedure lasts for another two weeks.

Take in your green card with he new name and change it then. The new information was not in the SAVE system but we got a receipt and the new card came in about 10 days.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

I've written something up for a SSN Howto - please have a read, make comments. At some point, I'll refactor, ask for it to be pinned here.

Thanks !

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SSN Info for K-1 visa Holders and CR/IR Visa Holders

K-1 Visa Holders

Regardless of your Marital Status, you are allowed to apply for a SSN.

You have a particular time window in which to apply -

starts 2 weeks after POE date and ends 2 weeks before the I-94 expires.

Why are these start/end dates important?

2 weeks after POE date, the SAVE database MIGHT have you in the system.

SAVE is used by SSA clerks to validate you are eligible.

2 weeks prior to I-94 expiring, SSA won't accept the application, as the validity date to

receive it will pass by the time it's mailed out to you.

How to apply:

Get into your local SSA office, bring your passport and I-94 and a birth certificate. The birth

certificate is optional, but some SSA staffers want to see it. Fill out the SS-5 form there, use

your visa name (regardless of marital status) then

--ask the SSA clerk to look you up in the SAVE system via VISA NAME and/or A#.

---If the SSA clerk can't find you, withdraw the SS-5 firmly, and come back in a week.

---If the SSA clerk can find you by VISA Name but not A#, or vice versa, you need to get to a CBP secondary inspection office and FIX YOUR SAVE RECORD with a CBP staffer (see http://www.cbp.gov/x..._inspection.xml for the local office address). Don't bother with using a telephone, just go to the office. No queues, no lines, no waiting, just go. If the CBP staffer is confused, ask for the shift supervisor - tell them you have issues with your SAVE record..

---If the SSA clerk CAN FIND YOU, YAY! Go through with the SS-5 application. Come back the next day, and ask for the SSN. Note the physical card will be mailed out, but you can have the NUMBER the next working day.

CR-1/IR-1/CR-2/IR-2/IR-5 Visa Holders

'ticking the box' on the DS-230 is sorta teasing to any Visa Applicant.

The SSN may get processed, it may not get processed - it just depends on the clerk doing the

data entry work for the 'intake' on the casefile once yer wife handed it over to any POE

staffer. I know, the tick box was ticked, there's a reasonable expectation that 'something will

get done' based on that tick box...

But -

if it's been more than 2 weeks past the Port of Entry Date,

then there's a good chance that the SAVE database system has synched up,

and

any SSA clerk, at the local SSA office, can find her in the SAVE database.

Ya won't know till you try. Suggest you go in person, bring -

--yer foreign spouse

--yer foreign spouse's passport

--filled out application (can get those at the office, too)

and apply.

Whilst at the SSA office -

Ask any clerk to look her up in the SAVE database, in the VISA name and A#.

If they can't find her by EITHER ONE (name or A#) - go away, do not allow the application to be

accepted, come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

IF any SSA clerk mumbles 'need DHS/USCIS electronic verification' - do not allow the application to be accepted - come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

Although SAVE database is useful for 'status checking' at the SSA office (by the SSA clerks) -

many of them are not trained on how to use it. If you get blank looks or mumbles, ask for a

Supervisor, and ask the Supervisor to 'look her up' in SAVE.

If she is found via A# but the VISA name is stored wrong, in SAVE, you'll need to do something else, with the SAVE unit, to get it changed.

It's a hassle, sure, but suggest you do change it to proper spelling of 'VISA NAME' prior to SSN issuance.

More SAVE INFO -

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

We pre did the form on line, and took the printed copy, Application for a Social Security Card, Form SS-5

D - might add name change after to green card issuance: Go back to SS after getting the new card with your married name to change it. if it is not in the Save system, your name change, you will get a receipt and new card sent in mail.

Timeline

ya, name changes are a PITA for a K-1 visa holder, there be 3 instances of how and why this is.

Thanks BigDog, I will write up a new version later this weekend, or after I land in China.

I'd say -- at POE - K1 or immigrant visas - ASK IO processing you to confirm you are updated in the SAVE system. You can also ask to verify the spelling of your name(s) so no surprises at SSA when they say they can't find you...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

great point !

I have written much here about 'how to fix yer name' at CBP , but nothing about getting it done during POE.

Timeline

Go figure, it is but another huge government bureaucracy…..

YMMV...

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Go figure, it is but another huge government bureaucracy…..

YMMV...

:thumbs:Everyone need to keep employed, check and check and check again.

Timeline

About three weeks ago, we did bring my green card and my passport. And my green card shows my surname different from my passport's one since I change my surname to my husband's. The officer told us that they need to do verification with USCIS which will take about one week. And another two weeks is for the social security officer processing. Err, have no idea why it can take so big difference to issue the SSN.

Ya, is best to get it done at CBP, not SSA.

Timeline

reminder - i'm writing up a HOW-TO -

and I'm asking for feedback on what's in post #1.

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

bump

Timeline

Darnell,

Do you know if I can get information on whether or not a SSN card has been sent out by calling the SS office? or is information only given when you go in?

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Timeline

the fastest way is to go into the office where you applied.

if no problems, they will give you a printout with the number.

if problems (such as DHS/USCIS verification needed), well, they will tell you at the office.

Calling into SSA is usually hit or miss, with a 80 percent miss ratio.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.