Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So, marriage license will be my maiden name, and marriage certificate can be my married name, right?

And a week after i got married i'll apply for the SSN with the married name and i can use my married name for all the documents??

Also for the document for AOS???

There will be no problem with the passport's name?

My passport valid until 2015 and can i use my married name on the new passport?

So, marriage license will be my maiden name, and marriage certificate can be my married name, right?

And a week after i got married i'll apply for the SSN with the married name and i can use my married name for all the documents??

Also for the document for AOS???

There will be no problem with the passport's name?

My passport valid until 2015 and can i use my married name on the new passport?

a. When you apply for your marriage license, you apply in your maiden name (since you are not married yet at that time). In California, you will also be asked in your application how you want your name to be after marriage. I don't know if this is the same in all other states.

b. In my case, I was able to apply for my SSN under my married name, since it is stated in my certified copy that I will use my husband's surname after marriage. (Some people opt not to change their names after marriage). The timing of applying your SSN after your wedding depends on you, but if you want to have less complications, I suggest you wait until you have the certified copy of your marriage certificate when you do apply. For the AOS, you will be required to submit a copy of you marriage certificate anyway, so there won't be any problem applying in your married name.

c. I had no problems applying in my married name for my SSN. I bought my passport (maiden name) and marriage certificate. The SSA clerk had no objections whatsoever.

d. You may choose to renew your passport in your married name now, or wait for it to expire in 2015 then change it to your married name. If you do travel, just remember to use your passport name (i.e. maiden name) if you have no intention of updating your passport before it expires. Other posters have advised to just bring the marriage certificate during travel.

a. When you apply for your marriage license, you apply in your maiden name (since you are not married yet at that time). In California, you will also be asked in your application how you want your name to be after marriage. I don't know if this is the same in all other states.

b. In my case, I was able to apply for my SSN under my married name, since it is stated in my certified copy that I will use my husband's surname after marriage. (Some people opt not to change their names after marriage). The timing of applying your SSN after your wedding depends on you, but if you want to have less complications, I suggest you wait until you have the certified copy of your marriage certificate when you do apply. For the AOS, you will be required to submit a copy of you marriage certificate anyway, so there won't be any problem applying in your married name.

c. I had no problems applying in my married name for my SSN. I bought my passport (maiden name) and marriage certificate. The SSA clerk had no objections whatsoever.

d. You may choose to renew your passport in your married name now, or wait for it to expire in 2015 then change it to your married name. If you do travel, just remember to use your passport name (i.e. maiden name) if you have no intention of updating your passport before it expires. Other posters have advised to just bring the marriage certificate during travel.

Thank you for the explanation :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If married, you should use the name on your marriage certificate, since it was legally changed (most likely) from visa name. That way, you will get a SS card in the mail with married (legal) name, and no need to file for change of name. Will save you some time, if you happen to care about your paper card being correct.

I'm going to write up some stuff about this approach this weekend, so, watch this space for some updates ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Any update on the question asking if the electronic I-94 is available, does that mean you are in the SAVE database??

K1 VisaService Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2013-03-02

I-129F NOA1: 2013-03-08

I-129F NOA2: 2013-06-19

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 2013-06-22

Embassy Received our Package: 07-02-2013

CFO Completed 07-04-2013

NVC Letter Received: 07-06-2013

Medical Completed 08-06-2013

Interview USEM 09-03-2013

event.png <p>event.png

Timeline

Any update on the question asking if the electronic I-94 is available, does that mean you are in the SAVE database??

Yup. Apologies for the delay.

If your I-94 is available online, then you're IN the SAVE database.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi guys i was able to print my I-94 3days after my arrival, and i'll be applying for ssn maybe next week.

Darnell, is it possible for me to check my info at save data online? Or only the ssn staff have access on it?

Thank You :)

Feb. 2013 - First conversation ( we met through a friend )
Mar 26, 2013 - First meeting in person, Manila
April 06, 2013 - He went back to US
April 15, 2013 - I-129F sent to USCIS
April 17, 2013 - I-129F delivered
April 19, 2013 - NOA1
April 23, 2013 - Alien Registration Number was changed
June 17, 2013 - Second Visit
July 31,2013 - RFE
August 06, 2013 - Return to US
August 08, 2013 - RFE reply sent. ( next day delivery service)
August 09, 2013 - RFE response received
August 13, 2013- APPROVED!
12nn - Received an email from Representative Staff that our petition is approved already. ( w/ email from USCIS officer )
8pm - Received email confirmation about the approval & Online Status Updated.
August 14,2013- got my BC & Cenomar ( waited 5mins for BC & almost 1 1/2hr for Cenomar)
August 15, 2013 - got my NBI ( total processing time from step 1 to releasing 1 1/2hrs)
August 23,2013 - CFO Attended, Got GCC. Sticker to follow.
Sep 18, 2013 - Got MNL Case # via Phone & Paid Visa Fee @ BPI
Sept 23, 2013 - Medical PASSED - 1 Day Only

Sep 24, 2013 - Case status " READY"
Oct 07, 2013 - Interview - APPROVED
Oct 08,2013 - Status changed AP then ISSUED

Oct 10, 2013 - Status @ 2go site - HOLD for Pick up

Oct. 16, 2013 - US Entry @ LAX

Oct. 18, 2013 - Printed I-94

Oct. 29,2013 - Applied Marriage License & SSN
Nov. 25, 2013 - Wedding @ San Diego

s-event.png <p>

s-event.png

event.png

Timeline

2 offices have easy acccess to SAVE - SSA and CBP.

I know of no way for you to check it yerself. You've an electronic I-94 now, so you SHOULD BE in the system .

Timeline

Timeline

Unable to proceed =/

unable.jpg

Feb. 2013 - First conversation ( we met through a friend )
Mar 26, 2013 - First meeting in person, Manila
April 06, 2013 - He went back to US
April 15, 2013 - I-129F sent to USCIS
April 17, 2013 - I-129F delivered
April 19, 2013 - NOA1
April 23, 2013 - Alien Registration Number was changed
June 17, 2013 - Second Visit
July 31,2013 - RFE
August 06, 2013 - Return to US
August 08, 2013 - RFE reply sent. ( next day delivery service)
August 09, 2013 - RFE response received
August 13, 2013- APPROVED!
12nn - Received an email from Representative Staff that our petition is approved already. ( w/ email from USCIS officer )
8pm - Received email confirmation about the approval & Online Status Updated.
August 14,2013- got my BC & Cenomar ( waited 5mins for BC & almost 1 1/2hr for Cenomar)
August 15, 2013 - got my NBI ( total processing time from step 1 to releasing 1 1/2hrs)
August 23,2013 - CFO Attended, Got GCC. Sticker to follow.
Sep 18, 2013 - Got MNL Case # via Phone & Paid Visa Fee @ BPI
Sept 23, 2013 - Medical PASSED - 1 Day Only

Sep 24, 2013 - Case status " READY"
Oct 07, 2013 - Interview - APPROVED
Oct 08,2013 - Status changed AP then ISSUED

Oct 10, 2013 - Status @ 2go site - HOLD for Pick up

Oct. 16, 2013 - US Entry @ LAX

Oct. 18, 2013 - Printed I-94

Oct. 29,2013 - Applied Marriage License & SSN
Nov. 25, 2013 - Wedding @ San Diego

s-event.png <p>

s-event.png

event.png

Timeline

oopsies ! well, without a SSN, that third-party verification process makes no sense.

Thanks for checking it out, though. No harm to you, at the moment, since you've no SSN (at least, IMO) .

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Site-Related Discussion to Social Security Numbers forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

My passport has been stolen last week and I just applied for the new passport by mail, and ughh the consulate can't change my maiden name into my married name but they said that my husband's name will be on the passport with the amendment (which I kinda lost about what it means)

I have few questions:

1. Is it ok if I apply the SSN with my married name while my passport is using my maiden name?

2. Anyone has experience apply the SSN without a passport? Cuz they said it will take three weeks to process the new passport. I think I will have my passport in December.

3. What will happen if I don't apply the SSN as soon as possible? (Since I need to wait for the new passport)

4. My I94 expires on December 28, 2013.. Is it true that it's only the time frame to get married? Will I have problem if I apply for the AOS after it expires?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.