Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

pronounce it as written - do not spell it out.

if you want an example - here ya go..

Hi ! Please look me up in the SAVE database by my A# or my visa name - tell me what you find.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

That's a great question ! I'll have a look !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new stuff - k-1 visa holders must get their I-94 printed off of a website now - see

Yup, it's available online now. But when I applied for my SSN, the guy still asked for the one in my passport after submitting the one I got online. No big deal. He was nice and knew the rest of what he should do in my case -- having entered on a K-1. I had no problems applying in my married name. I just showed the certified copy of our marriage certificate with the rest of the requirements. This is in Lancaster, California.

Darnell, now that the I-94 is electronic, do you know if sucessfully being able to print the I-94 from the website means that you are already in the SAVE system?

Most likely. I had mine printed and when I applied for my SSN, I was already in the system.

Timeline

Yup, it's available online now. But when I applied for my SSN, the guy still asked for the one in my passport after submitting the one I got online. No big deal. He was nice and knew the rest of what he should do in my case -- having entered on a K-1. I had no problems applying in my married name. I just showed the certified copy of our marriage certificate with the rest of the requirements. This is in Lancaster, California.

Cool ! did you go back next day, per post #1 ? If so, what was the result?

Cool ! did you go back next day, per post #1 ? If so, what was the result?

Haven't had the chance to go back yet. blush.png

By the way, filling up the SS-5 Form online and printing it before going to the SSA office saves time, too. smile.png

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Timeline

uhm - i suggest, strongly, that you go back.

uhm - i suggest, strongly, that you go back.

Thank you. Before I even had the chance to go back, I got my SS card in the mail today -- 5 working days after I applied. Thumbs up for the Lancaster CA office. good.gif

Timeline

All Hail Lancaster !

K-1 Visa Holders

How to apply:

Get into your local SSA office, bring your passport and I-94 and a birth certificate. The birth

certificate is optional, but some SSA staffers want to see it. Fill out the SS-5 form there, use

your visa name (regardless of marital status) then

--ask the SSA clerk to look you up in the SAVE system via VISA NAME and/or A#.

---If the SSA clerk can't find you, withdraw the SS-5 firmly, and come back in a week.

---If the SSA clerk can find you by VISA Name but not A#, or vice versa, you need to get to a CBP secondary inspection office and FIX YOUR SAVE RECORD with a CBP staffer (see http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/overview_deferred_inspection.xml for the local office address). Don't bother with using a telephone, just go to the office. No queues, no lines, no waiting, just go. If the CBP staffer is confused, ask for the shift supervisor - tell them you have issues with your SAVE record..

---If the SSA clerk CAN FIND YOU, YAY! Go through with the SS-5 application. Come back the next day, and ask for the SSN. Note the physical card will be mailed out, but you can have the NUMBER the next working day.

If married, you should use the name on your marriage certificate, since it was legally changed (most likely) from visa name. That way, you will get a SS card in the mail with married (legal) name, and no need to file for change of name. Will save you some time, if you happen to care about your paper card being correct.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.