Herb-Mel

Can i visit my USC fiance while waiting for the K1?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand that once you get your NOA1 you are entered into the Department of Homeland Security database as they run their initial background check and it would come up in their system when they process you at the POE. So just be honest and cross your fingers that the officer is having a good day. Thankfully he was for me in March. I'm still here and will be until June when I go back for a week and then and hopefully all will be good when I enter again in through Seattle for another visit while I wait for my NOA2 and consulate appointment. :luv:

---------------------
Oct. 22 - 25/10: Met in Hawaii and fell in love!
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 8/11: Mailed K1 forms to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX
Jan. 11/11: Check cashed.
Jan. 12/11: NOA1 - Initial Review - Petition Received
Jan. 14/11: Last Touch
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.
Feb. 24/11: Mailed additional info to VSC
May 10/11: RFE email - May 12/11: RFE hard copy received
May 27/11: RFE reply received and being processed.
July 1/11: NOA2!!!
July 14/11: NVC forwards petition to Vancouver
July 21/11: Packet 3 received via email.
Aug. 7/11: Packed 3 emailed back
Aug. 8/11: Packet 4 letter received via email
Sept. 21/11: Medical - SUCCESS!!!!
Sept. 23/11: Visa Interview = SUCCESS!!!
Sept. 28/11: Visa in hand
Sept. 29/11: POE at YVR to Seattle
Oct. 23/11: Hawaii beach wedding
Jan. 12/12: 1-485 & 1-765 NOA hard copies received
Feb. 2/12: NOA - case transferred to California
Mar. 3/12: Biometrics Done!
Mar. 14/12: Work Permit card being printed (never arrived, lost in the mail)
May. 8/12: I-485 Approved - Green Card in the mail
May. 12/12: GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Package Mailed then RFE then Interview... and finally:

Jan.21/15: 10 Year Green Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, everyone,

I'm going to visit my fiance in Los Angeles, flying next Sunday (3rd of June), and I'm not expecting to have problems at the POE, but you never know...

I guess it helps that I've already been to the US, last October, and came back home, so, they'll see that, if I wanted to be there illegally, I would have done that last year, and not had come back home.

What worries me is that maybe they'll get suspicious about me staying for a long time (87 days), less than what's allowed for a tourist, but still, a long time. I've saved money for it, so, I can prove I have the means to be there and come back.

We just applied for the K1- Visa (last Thursday, 24th of May), so, I'm expecting I'll have the NOA1 this week. And I'm traveling with my Spanish passport, which means I don't have to apply for a tourist visa beforehand. Did anyone, with a similar situation (having been there before as a tourist, and now having just applied for the fiance visa, and going as a tourist again), had any problems?

Thank you very much in advance, to anyone who can give me some opinions on it :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I just came back from visiting my fiance in Florida. I went prepared with a copy of my current lease on my apt., as well as my new lease which begins in July 2013, a letter from my employer stating how many vacation days I would be taking and when I would be expected back, as well as some bills that proved that I DO live at the address on the lease.

I flew from Montreal to Orlando. Although i was taken into secondary, the agent there was actually really very nice and was satisfied with only seeing a copy of my itinerary which showed my return flight. They asked the basic questions- " how long are you staying?", " where are you staying?", "purpose of the trip?". he asked for proof of a return flight, I handed him my itinerary- and that was it. I was even a little surprised! And asked if he wanted to see copies of my lease, or letter from employer, and he just said that it wasn't necessary.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have a true experience with this and my fiance: We looked everywhere for an answer and we were told there is no law preventing it and its up to the POE officer and if he is having a bad day he won't let you in. We risked it in february and my fiance had no problem coming in. He flew direct from London to LAX and went through customs there. As a precaution he brought information that showed he still had strong ties back home and will be going back home. The customs officer didn't ask him anything. All he was asked was about me. My fiance told him he was coming over to visit his girlfriend for her birthday which was the truth. He is going to try and come over again in April so we hope for good news then too. The only thing my lawyer recommended was not to come over after you have received your NOA2.

Hope this helps. It sure sucks when we can't see our loved ones for long periods of time. Good Luck.

Hi I saw yr above comment abt not to go to US after u receive the NOA2

Well, I already planned n booked for my ticket to LAX n plan to stay there for 2 mths from june.We received our NOA2 on 21st may. Can I still go?I

I do have my return date.

I am not sure when we will receive the interview date but definitely I will come back for the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi I saw yr above comment abt not to go to US after u receive the NOA2

Well, I already planned n booked for my ticket to LAX n plan to stay there for 2 mths from june.We received our NOA2 on 21st may. Can I still go?I

I do have my return date.

I am not sure when we will receive the interview date but definitely I will come back for the interview.

You can, but you MUST know there's a real chance that you may be sent back home at the POE. The good news is that, if this happens, it will not interfere with your K1 application. You will lose the money paid for the ticket and, most importantly, the chance to be with your other half.. but at least, if they reject you, you'll know it will not play against you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey all,

I'm planning to visit my fiance, Herb in New Jersey at the end of March. We sent in our K1 application at the end of Jan. I already have a valid tourist visa. I've read on here that those applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a K1 will not get it. But what about this situation? Would it get me into trouble to visit him with my pre-existing tourist visa? Would i get turned back at the POE? I also remember reading about fiancees who visited their USC's while waiting and never had any issues at the interview. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want to be sure i'm doing the right thing.

We had a trip to Florida planned for him to visit me at end of June, but our lawyer and customs both advised against it. Rather than take the chance, we changed venues, and will be meeting in Toronto, which actually works out better because we'll get to be together for nearly 3 weeks =D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey all,

I'm planning to visit my fiance, Herb in New Jersey at the end of March. We sent in our K1 application at the end of Jan. I already have a valid tourist visa. I've read on here that those applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a K1 will not get it. But what about this situation? Would it get me into trouble to visit him with my pre-existing tourist visa? Would i get turned back at the POE? I also remember reading about fiancees who visited their USC's while waiting and never had any issues at the interview. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want to be sure i'm doing the right thing.

I entered the US two different times (currently visiting for the second time) while having the K1 in process and I haven't had any issues.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Herb-Mel, I was wondering if you could tell me how did the process go for visitor visa though? My fiance is from the Philippines, and I'm sure Malaysia and the Philippines are both tough countries to get an approved visitor visa. It seems that the only Filipinos who can get approved to visit the US are the wealthy ones. I'd love to bring my fiance here to visit for a couple months too, but she is not wealthy, and I doubt she'll be approved.

Thanks for sharing your experiences though, and I'm happy you made it here for a nice visit!

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

From CBP Inspector's Field Manual:

(2) Classification: B-2 Visitor for pleasure.

(B) Determining eligibility. If otherwise admissible, admit the following as B-2:

(11) An alien coming to meet the alien’s fiancé(e)’s family (to become engaged; to make arrangements for a wedding; or to renew a relationship with the prospective spouse);

Just make sure to have some proof of ties to your home country when crossing.

Cheers!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, i am planning to bring a copy of the NOA1 and i guess i'll show them a bank statement also. But I'm not working at the moment so i need to find other reasons to give them for why i will be returning home. Would it help if i showed that i'm qualified as a professional and thus would not try to overstay my visa for just any job. I do have my ID card etc from my recent job. I have no intention of violating the terms of the K1 visa. I just want to visit him for a couple of months, and also visit my family there.

That's the reason there are some many conflicting stories. If you have proof that you have ties in your country, and its not a high fraud country, chances are you can visit US no problem. We were advised by our attorney not to have him visit because my fiance sold his business in anticipation of moving here, and sold his house and is living in apartment. You are allowed to visit, if they are convinced you're not going to stay and get married. Each case is different.

remember that if they dont let you in US you have to have money to get ticket for the next plain heading back to where you came from...

No you don't.

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

I am awaiting a decision on the K-1 and just travel across the Vermont/Montreal border on July 3rd, 2012 and had no issues. I got asked the usual questions, Why are you coming? Where are you headed? I answered all the questions truthfully telling the guard at the crossing that I was going to visit my fiance. I had all that I needed I-129F, letter from employer, NOA1, letter from fiance saying she was responsible for me while I was down and all the paperwork on my side for the interview. The last question he asked was, is your fiance intending to immigrate you? I told the guard that we were applying for a K-1 visa and that I had the I-129F on me and showed him the envelope it was in and he said, "You realize that you cannot immigrate until the visa is approved?" I said yes and he sent me on my way. I think the key thing is that you are honest with the guards, but I do agree that it depends on their mood. Sidenote: It was July 3rd, the day before Independence Day so I thought I was going to get grilled, but didn't. Hope this helps anyone wanting to visit their USC fiance in the future. Also prayer is good too, God sets all authority into place and we need to respect them.

God Bless

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.