Herb-Mel

Can i visit my USC fiance while waiting for the K1?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hey all,

I'm planning to visit my fiance, Herb in New Jersey at the end of March. We sent in our K1 application at the end of Jan. I already have a valid tourist visa. I've read on here that those applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a K1 will not get it. But what about this situation? Would it get me into trouble to visit him with my pre-existing tourist visa? Would i get turned back at the POE? I also remember reading about fiancees who visited their USC's while waiting and never had any issues at the interview. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want to be sure i'm doing the right thing.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

Hey,

I wanted to do the same, but I was strongly advised by the customs ( I called JFK airport customs)... the answer was.... It all depends on the mood of the customs guy you will talk to... you basically need to have enough evidence that you come back to your home country that he lets you in.... I planned on getting a letter from my employer saying that Im coming back, the airport customs still wasnt sure though.... I think its more of a question if they let you in US (or you spent money in vain).... not the interview..... I calculated that Ide rather save the money in case they dont let me in.... remember that if they dont let you in US you have to have money to get ticket for the next plain heading back to where you came from.... so yeah.... I gave in and followed the "strong suggestion" of not risking....

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” Jimmy Dean

event.png

Timeline

The thing is my fiance called up USCIS and asked them if it was okay for me to come over for a visit and they said it would be fine. They did not warn him about any potential problems or anything. There are so many conflicting views. I'm planning to visit so that I can meet his family and get to know them before moving over permanently with the K1. Also..he has only visited me once since we met online in September last year. I thought it might make our case stronger with another visit, especially meeting his family etc. He will also be meeting my parents who are going to be in the US next month.

Im also visiting my fiance in california at the end of March and for proof of home country ties I'm bringing a letter from my employer, a letter proving Im still a student until July, proof that I have school work that is due in May, print out of my return ticket home, and a copy of our NOA1 which proves we are filing for the k1 properly and that I dont intend to immigrate.

Just be honest at the POE that you're visiting your fiance, you applied for a k1, you have to return home for whatever reason.

I think it also depends on the nationality as some 3rd world countries might be less trusted at the border but if you seem sensible, know what you're doing and are confident about it, that will help. Maybe bring a bank statement to prove you can afford the visit and that you wont become broke and have to stay to work or whatever.

Good luck!

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Timeline

Yes, i am planning to bring a copy of the NOA1 and i guess i'll show them a bank statement also. But I'm not working at the moment so i need to find other reasons to give them for why i will be returning home. Would it help if i showed that i'm qualified as a professional and thus would not try to overstay my visa for just any job. I do have my ID card etc from my recent job. I have no intention of violating the terms of the K1 visa. I just want to visit him for a couple of months, and also visit my family there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, i am planning to bring a copy of the NOA1 and i guess i'll show them a bank statement also. But I'm not working at the moment so i need to find other reasons to give them for why i will be returning home. Would it help if i showed that i'm qualified as a professional and thus would not try to overstay my visa for just any job. I do have my ID card etc from my recent job. I have no intention of violating the terms of the K1 visa. I just want to visit him for a couple of months, and also visit my family there.

I came to visit my then fiance last March for 3 months while our 129f was being processed and came through LA and never had a problem. I do not work also and they never asked just wished me a good trip but bring you 797 with you and you proof of address back home and you should be fine.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

I came to visit my then fiance last March for 3 months while our 129f was being processed and came through LA and never had a problem. I do not work also and they never asked just wished me a good trip but bring you 797 with you and you proof of address back home and you should be fine.

I think i'm just going to go through with it and take a chance. What's a 797? The proof of address won't be a problem for me. I also plan to visit for about 3 months. I'll be flying in through JFK, and i heard that the officers there aren't too bad.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I have visited my fiance 2 times since filing our K1 visa petition last December without any trouble at all at the border crossing. I travel by land, crossing over at the Pigeon River crossing. I brought an email from my supervisor stating when I was leaving/returning to work and the border guard did not ask for it or anything else.I am banking on our POE to go just as smoothly! I have already started a log for them of what is in boxes...I have a jump start on it all since I have many years of accumulated stuff to sort through.

Have an awesome day everyone

Keep positive vibes going on a speedy process!

Lise

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It is perfectly legal for someone to visit the US when they have no intentions of violating their visa. Unfortunately, you have to prove that to the Officer at the POE, and for some that has been problematic. Here is a good link:

Visitation FAQ's

Thanks for the link reminder.

So what if the fiance (like myself) has quit her job and is storing all her stuff at mom's to spend time in the USA (none over the legal out of country limit) with her intended while waiting for the paperwork? I will not have a letter from an employer and will have a different address now than what we originally filed with, which is mom's place which means no hydro bills or rent receipts. Of course I intend to return for the consulate visit and medical and police checks and such, wouldn't have paid the money and started the process if we weren't going to follow through, so what right do they have to deny entry and how do we go about avoiding it in my situation? I will be crossing via Greyhound or Amtrak in Vancouver, BC.

Thanks in advance for any help with this potential dilema. :luv:

---------------------
Oct. 22 - 25/10: Met in Hawaii and fell in love!
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 8/11: Mailed K1 forms to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX
Jan. 11/11: Check cashed.
Jan. 12/11: NOA1 - Initial Review - Petition Received
Jan. 14/11: Last Touch
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.
Feb. 24/11: Mailed additional info to VSC
May 10/11: RFE email - May 12/11: RFE hard copy received
May 27/11: RFE reply received and being processed.
July 1/11: NOA2!!!
July 14/11: NVC forwards petition to Vancouver
July 21/11: Packet 3 received via email.
Aug. 7/11: Packed 3 emailed back
Aug. 8/11: Packet 4 letter received via email
Sept. 21/11: Medical - SUCCESS!!!!
Sept. 23/11: Visa Interview = SUCCESS!!!
Sept. 28/11: Visa in hand
Sept. 29/11: POE at YVR to Seattle
Oct. 23/11: Hawaii beach wedding
Jan. 12/12: 1-485 & 1-765 NOA hard copies received
Feb. 2/12: NOA - case transferred to California
Mar. 3/12: Biometrics Done!
Mar. 14/12: Work Permit card being printed (never arrived, lost in the mail)
May. 8/12: I-485 Approved - Green Card in the mail
May. 12/12: GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Package Mailed then RFE then Interview... and finally:

Jan.21/15: 10 Year Green Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Im also visiting my fiance in california at the end of March and for proof of home country ties I'm bringing a letter from my employer, a letter proving Im still a student until July, proof that I have school work that is due in May, print out of my return ticket home, and a copy of our NOA1 which proves we are filing for the k1 properly and that I dont intend to immigrate.

Just be honest at the POE that you're visiting your fiance, you applied for a k1, you have to return home for whatever reason.

I think it also depends on the nationality as some 3rd world countries might be less trusted at the border but if you seem sensible, know what you're doing and are confident about it, that will help. Maybe bring a bank statement to prove you can afford the visit and that you wont become broke and have to stay to work or whatever.

Good luck!

Whenever ive been in the past, and as i intend to do when i visit in april. When im asked why am i there, ill just reply 'tourism', and if they ask where im staying ill say 'with a friend', ill only ever get to gf or fiance or even to the stage of them knowing about my k1 app if they ask. I will no way let them know i have applied for k1, because, although you are going through the process and obv will return back so u dont mess it up, they still will think you are just planing on staying.

Just dont even mention anything, unless asked. If you are asked, be honest.

Ben

MAY 1ST 2010: Met on night out in Fort Worth, TX.

SEP 24TH 2010: Ben 2 Week visit to Dallas

OCT 29TH 2010: Ashley 2 week visit to England.

DEC 25TH 2010: Ben 2 week visit to Dallas.

JAN 3RD 2011: Sent I-129F with USPS

JAN 6TH 2011: Arrived at Dallas 75266 Lockbox- Signed for by C.Thornquist at 6:03am

JAN 7TH 2011: Check Cashed

JAN 9TH 2011: NOA1 Emailed to us - Jan 6th - Sent to VSC

JAN 11TH 2011: NOA1 Hardcopy received in post (NOA1 Date: January 6th 2011)

FEB 24TH 2011: Ashley 2 week visit to England.

APR 15TH 2011: Ben 2 week visit to Dallas.

MAY 20TH 2011: NOA2 Email and Text - Approved!!!! - 134 days

MAY 26TH 2011: NOA2 Hardcopy

MAY 31ST 2011: NVC RECEIVE - Given LND Case Number

JUN 1St 2011: NVC LEAVE

JUN 6TH 2011: ARRIVE LONDON CONSULATE

JUN 11TH 2011: PACKET 3 RECEIVED

Jun 11th-28th: Visit Ashley in Dallas

JUN 30TH 2011: Medical

JUL 4TH 2011: PACKET 3 RETURNED

Good luck!

We filed our application 27 July 2010 approved December 9 2010 details forwarded to us to book medical and interview January 4 2011. I have booked the medical this is the 24 March 2011 and the interview to follow. We have not seen eachother since 14 months now this is really hard for us both, we use skype and phone email it is not the same,it is 8 months into the K Visa journey we are getting closer to being in eachother's embrace... We were told by the lawyers that we are using that we cannot meet up... plus think of the money to move too

Patricklove !!

Patricklove timeline........

K1 Journey [/u]

K 1 Visa Sent application.....July 27 2010 Approved December 9th 2010

Packet 3 recieved .....January 4 2011 Visa Qualified....... 17 March 2011

Medical ........24 March 2011 Paid MRV...... 30 March 2011

Packet 4 recieved.....13 May 2011

Interview....Approved 20 June 2011

Visa in hand......27 June 2011

Arrival in USA ....3 July 2011

AOS Journey [/u]

SSN Card Application 15 July 2011

SSN recieved 23 July 2011

Application for Marriage Licence 15 August 2011

Licence Recieved 19 August 2011

Officially Married 26 August 2011

Civil Surgeon updated 30 August 2011

Driving Licence for MI September 2011

AOS/EAD/AP forms in mail 21 September 2011

AP & EAD approved December 2011 AOS approved January 25th 2012

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the link reminder.

So what if the fiance (like myself) has quit her job and is storing all her stuff at mom's to spend time in the USA (none over the legal out of country limit) with her intended while waiting for the paperwork? I will not have a letter from an employer and will have a different address now than what we originally filed with, which is mom's place which means no hydro bills or rent receipts. Of course I intend to return for the consulate visit and medical and police checks and such, wouldn't have paid the money and started the process if we weren't going to follow through, so what right do they have to deny entry and how do we go about avoiding it in my situation? I will be crossing via Greyhound or Amtrak in Vancouver, BC.

Thanks in advance for any help with this potential dilema. :luv:

In your case your best defense is your NOA and a copy of your paperwork. For some Canadians that's the only thing that allowed them entry after being pulled into secondary..... showing they had every intention of going the legal route. Unfortunately, it is up to you to convince them so the less evidence that you have, the less likely it is that they will trust you to return to Canada. Perhaps a letter from your Mom saying she expects your return, your return ticket, a copy of your bank statement and any credit card statements showing credit available (means of support), an upcoming Dr's appointment..... things like that. Good luck.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In your case your best defense is your NOA and a copy of your paperwork. For some Canadians that's the only thing that allowed them entry after being pulled into secondary..... showing they had every intention of going the legal route. Unfortunately, it is up to you to convince them so the less evidence that you have, the less likely it is that they will trust you to return to Canada. Perhaps a letter from your Mom saying she expects your return, your return ticket, a copy of your bank statement and any credit card statements showing credit available (means of support), an upcoming Dr's appointment..... things like that. Good luck.

Thanks so much, I have the NOA1 and back-up stuff prepared but the extras will help... but he is supporting me so that I can be with him while we wait and until it's legal for me to work in the US so that will be another issue to contend with... I am planning on applying for online Canadian transcription and telecommuting jobs while I'm with him in Japan so hopefully I'll have that under my belt before the Seattle trip, along with returning to temp work while I'm back in Vancouver awaiting the consulate visits and such.

Thanks again - really appreciate the advice! :luv:

---------------------
Oct. 22 - 25/10: Met in Hawaii and fell in love!
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 8/11: Mailed K1 forms to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX
Jan. 11/11: Check cashed.
Jan. 12/11: NOA1 - Initial Review - Petition Received
Jan. 14/11: Last Touch
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.
Feb. 24/11: Mailed additional info to VSC
May 10/11: RFE email - May 12/11: RFE hard copy received
May 27/11: RFE reply received and being processed.
July 1/11: NOA2!!!
July 14/11: NVC forwards petition to Vancouver
July 21/11: Packet 3 received via email.
Aug. 7/11: Packed 3 emailed back
Aug. 8/11: Packet 4 letter received via email
Sept. 21/11: Medical - SUCCESS!!!!
Sept. 23/11: Visa Interview = SUCCESS!!!
Sept. 28/11: Visa in hand
Sept. 29/11: POE at YVR to Seattle
Oct. 23/11: Hawaii beach wedding
Jan. 12/12: 1-485 & 1-765 NOA hard copies received
Feb. 2/12: NOA - case transferred to California
Mar. 3/12: Biometrics Done!
Mar. 14/12: Work Permit card being printed (never arrived, lost in the mail)
May. 8/12: I-485 Approved - Green Card in the mail
May. 12/12: GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Package Mailed then RFE then Interview... and finally:

Jan.21/15: 10 Year Green Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

First, Im not a 3rd world country :D I thought that was a cute comment, but anyways.....

as said... it depends on the mood of the officer.... when I flew in I had to write the little form where it asked about visas (denied, received...bla bla bla) so I wouldnt lie on that piece of paper, second it has nothing to do with K1 process... it will in no way affect that... its only a matter of what happens if the officer thinks that you are coming for staying and you need to have money on hand to go back the same day..... We called the customs, USCIS has nothing to do with it, its not them letting you in the country in the airport..... We talked with the customs guy and his supervisor in JFK (new york, so Ide say they know what they talk about.... it can happen that someone got it, but somebody else could be more unlucky.... so we made the decision to save money and fire it off when we meet instead of not knowing if we even meet :) But yeah thats my opinion ;)

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” Jimmy Dean

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.