papo369

k1 visa pregnant benificiary question

23 posts in this topic

one question my fiance is pregnant interview date coming up soon finally do the consulate require dna testing for the baby ? Or can they deny the visa for not getting one a little worried .thanks for the input .

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

usually if the baby is born out of wedlock they do. also depends on how far along she is. they may delay the visa..

9/20/09 We got married <3

uscis.jpg

11/15/09 USCIS received I-130

11/20/09 NoA1 received

11/25/09 USCIS received I-129f

12/1/09 NoA1 received

2/11/10 I-130&I-129f Approved!

2/15/10 Received NoA2 for both

2/17/10 NVC Case number issued

nvc2.png

2/18/10 Emailed DS3032

2/19/10 Received AOS bill

2/24/10 AoS bill paid online $70.00

2/24/10 IV bill paid online $400.00

2/25/2010 AoS fee bill shows Paid

3/1/2010 IV bill shows Paid

8/13/2010 Sent DS-230

8/17/2010 Sent AOS

8/18/2010 NVC received DS-230

8/19/2010 NVC received AOS

9/14/2010 Received RFE Checklist

9/20/2010 Sent RFE checklist and supporting documents

9/28/2010 NVC received FEDEX

10/19/2010 Sign In Failed

11/06/2010 Received appointment date!

EMBSSY.png

11/15/2010(1)11/19(2) & 11/24(3) Medical-Passed

12/6/2010 Interview Date-PASSED!

12/10/2010 Visa Recv'd - 2go

12/14/2010 POE in LA

12/01/2012 File for Adjustment of Status

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I highly doubt they will deny the visa because she is pregnant, but there is a good possibility you will have to pay for a DNA test, which is pretty pricey when dealing with 2 labs on different continents. I was pregnant during the process (I am the petitioner) and I priced out DNA testing, it was over $1500. So it's something you might wanna put a little money aside for, just in case they require it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

one question my fiance is pregnant interview date coming up soon finally do the consulate require dna testing for the baby ? Or can they deny the visa for not getting one a little worried .thanks for the input .

they will not deny the visa because of a lack of DNA testing. if they wanted a DNA test and it was not given, then they could deny based on lack of a bonafide relationship...

bottom line is that the reason for DNA testing would be to determine if the child has a claim for US Citizenship or not... and if a USC then child is issued a US passport and not a visa....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They won't deny HER visa because of it. However, if she's late in the pregnancy then she may not be able to travel internationally until after the baby is born. The baby will not be eligible for a visa because it has a claim to US citizenship, by virtue of the fact that one of it's biological parents is a US citizen.

If she has to wait until the baby is born before she can travel then a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) will need to be filed for the baby, and the baby will receive a US passport. Consulates do often ask for a DNA test to confirm paternity.

If she's early in the pregnancy, and is allowed to travel as soon as she gets the visa, then it shouldn't be a problem. I've never heard of a consulate asking for a DNA test in utero, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's happened.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

thanks for response to all .. She's gona be 8 months . I'll preety much just take a little extra in case . Hopefully pray to god every thing goes fine .

Check with the airlines, but I think your baby is going to be born in the DR. :blush:

I have a friend who is in the same boat. His fiancee will be 8 months at the time of the interview. We checked the airlines and they won't let her fly if she's within 4 weeks of her due date. Between 4 and 8 weeks they require a doctor's letter. He's resigned himself that his baby is going to be born in Vietnam.

I dont know why you didnt call the place that set up your interview date and informed them of the situation I read they will have given you an earlier date. Also I read recently that if you are planning on going to the interview they make you sign paperwork making sure you are aware of her pregnancy and that you are the father. Good Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This would depend on the consulate, usually no. If she is still pregnant when the interview occurs and when she enters the USA, it is no big deal at all for most consulates. A non-issue.

If the baby is BORN before the interview it adds a person to your family size for the affidavit of support AND you would be required to file a CRBA with the consulate and get the baby a passport. The baby will have a cliam to US citizenship and is not eligible for a visa, the baby IS eligible for a US passport. Again, DNA testing is a consulate option.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

This brings up a question I have been curious about. If my wife is unable to travel because she is pregnant, is it possible to get the visa expiration extended? For example. If she is 8 months or so the most likely will not be able to travel and even after the baby is born, it would be several months before they can travel. Has anyone run in to this situation and how did they handle it?

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

This brings up a question I have been curious about. If my wife is unable to travel because she is pregnant, is it possible to get the visa expiration extended? For example. If she is 8 months or so the most likely will not be able to travel and even after the baby is born, it would be several months before they can travel. Has anyone run in to this situation and how did they handle it?

Once issued, visa is good for 6 months.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

I supposed it depends on the airline. The same airline that told us they won't let a pregnant woman fly in her last month also says they'll let a healthy infant fly if it's one week old. Even if an airline is more restrictive, I suspect the bigger delay is going to be getting the CRBA completed and getting a passport for the infant. By the time you get the CRBA finished, the baby will likely be old enough to travel without restrictions.

The visa only needs to be valid for the amount of time it takes to travel to the US. If it's still valid on the day she arrives, then you're good to go. If you think it might expire before you complete the CRBA then you can ask the consulate to reissue the visa. They may issue the new visa with a shorter expiration, depending on how long it's been since the medical exam.

I was 6.5 months pregnant at my K-1 interview. They did not require a dna test. What I did have though, was a letter from my doctor stating that I was pregnant and when I was due. The consulate here, did also say that if my interview was scheduled to close to my due date, that the interview date could possibly be moved up a few weeks, as it is a health issue for a pregnant woman to fly, once she is over 35 weeks.

Don't stress about this, many folks come on here and will give false info, or try and frighten you, because they feel you are using the pregnancy to get a visa, or think it will expedite things, ignore them. Being pregnant does not improve chances of a visa, and does not expedite it, but it does count as proof of a legitimate relationship.

Hope this helps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.