Jørgen

Expedited processing for EAD (I-765)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Today I got my biometrics done, and later on requested expedited processing of my I-765 due to financial hardship. I'm doing this because my wife will be out of a job in a few weeks and I have a pending job offer that'll take hold as soon as I got an EAD. I'm posting this to let people know how it goes, in case other people are considering doing it.

Basically I called the 800-number, pressed 2 for status or problems with an application, then 3 (?) for lost receipt. I told the woman I was requesting expedited processing and chose "financial loss" as the option. I explained the situation (and I believe she noted this in my application) and got a confirmation number - she told me I'd get an answer in 5 days most likely. The call took about 10 minutes.

I'll post an update here when I get a response or if they request more evidence. (I have a letter from my future employer confirming that they have a pending job offer for me)

If this doesn't work, I intend on contact my congressperson about our situation and asking them to look at it, as I've seen other people have appealed to their congressperson in these cases. :-)

Kind regards,

Jørgen.

05/31/2010: Married my beautiful wife :D

06/01/2010: Found out that I am no longer eligible for the J-1 visa I was applying for for my summer internship, because of marriage

07/12/2010: USCIS sent NOA1 (FedEx receipt 07/09/2010)

07/27/2010: Did walk-in biometrics in Fresno, CA (Scheduled appointment was 08/14/2010 in San Marcos, CA)

07/27/2010: Requested expedited processing of I-765 due to financial hardship

07/27/2010: RFE (I-864 instead of I-864EZ) - expedited processing cancelled.

08/09/2010: I-131 delivered to USCIS (according to USPS)

08/13/2010: RFE response NAO received per e-mail. (USPS receipt 08/11/2010)

08/16/2010: Requested expedited processing again.

08/24/2010: Contacted Representative about help. Inquired to USCIS, told us they couldn't ask for any kind of preferred processing, and gave us status update (At the "judicial stage of the process"?)

08/25/2010: Work permit card production ordered!

Good luck with your status adjustment Jorgen !

Just a helpful reminder on the contacting the congress person part, you really should have your wife do that part as she is a USC. Also a lot of times they ask for, and take you more seriously if you provide them with a voter registration number, so make sure she digs her voter registration card up or looks her number up online.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

just curious...how did it go??

AOS from F-1 Timeline

(based on marriage to USC)

2010-06-12 Send I-130 and I-485 packages

2010-06-16 arrived at Chicago lockbox

2010-06-23 Checks cashed

2010-06-25 Received NOAs for 1-130, I-485, I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (AP)

2010-07-09 I-130, I-765 and I-131 touched

2010-07-23 called USCIC about biometrics letter. They said to wait another 45 days

2010-08-10 infopass appointment to expedite I-131 (AP)

2010-08-13 I-131 (AP) touched and approved

2010-08-13 I-765 (EAD) touched

2010-08-19 I-131 (AP) touched

2010-08-21 I-131 (AP) received ...YAY!!!

2010-08-27 Received my biometrics letter

2010-09-07 Biometrics done, touch on I-765 and I-485

2010-09-07 I-765 (EAD) approved

2010-09-17 EAD and interview letter received

2010-10-22 Interview --> Approved

2010-11-04 Received GC in mail

ROC

2012-09-07 Mailed I-751 to CA

2012-09-20 Received Biometrics Appointment

2012-09-27 Received NOA 1

2012-10-12 Biometrics

2013-04-15 Received RFE

2013-06-27 Sent in RFE

2013-07-11 ROC Approved

2013-07-13 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good luck with having your EAD expedited directly through USCIS because I've tried it and they deny me. The best way to have it expedited is through the Congressnman, I've tried it and it work for me. You can call the Congressman yourself, I didn't have a problem when I call mine. Well every state is different just to make it easier have your wife present during the call.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

**moved from "AOS (Other)" to "Working and Travelling in the US" as this is relating to an EAD**

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I am going to hijack this post for a minute to share my recent experience with expediting my EAD. I received a job offer. I called USCIS to expedite my EAD. They emailed me back to tell me basically what they tell everyone else: "we receive many requests like yours and we don't think your situation is important enough for us to actually work on it yet expedite your case".

The next day, I then faxed my documents to my district Congressman. Here is what I included with my letter petitioning help: the job offer letter, the NOA for my AOS and EAD, the stamped biometrics appointment, my RFE letter, and my husband's W2. I called the office in an hour to check if they got my documents and to make sure they assigned my case to a case worker.

The congressman's representative contacted me and asked me to fill out a privacy form. I faxed it back the next day. That same day, I checked my status on the EAD and it moved to card ordered!

So that is my story!

My wedding blogging, visa waiting, blog - Bride On A Shoestring

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I really took time out to reply to this thread because I learned how to expedite my EAD through the post of Jorgen about EAD renewal. Thanks!

I called USCIS'

1 800-number,

1 for english

1 case status

1 if you have a problem

1 if you have receipt #

-dial receipt number..

1 confirm receipt #

--- wait for info

3 if there's a problem in your case...

--- I was put on hold , asked to wait until a "live" officer answered

--- I informed the officer that I wanted to expedite my EAD. I was asked to give several personal info../receipt#s, etc

--- Officer read a script on how to expedite. I was asked to choose a reason from about 5 that she read.

--- I opted for #1 - financial loss, and # 4 - nonprofit org, impact to US . I explained about the financial loss part ( sole bread winner in the household, 2 kids, unemployed husband) and the impact to US part ( I am a math teacher in a minority school, hard to find a certified high school math teacher who wants to teach in a 90% minority school. If I were absent, about 70 kids would not be learning in one day or several days depending on the arrival of EAD. ). I requested the officer to read to me what she wrote in the remarks. It took a while because I also requested to expedite my younger son's EAD and AP . I chose financial loss for him as the main reason. He is a senior now and is applying for scholarship. The university asked for his legal status. When we presented his EAD(expired jan 3) and stamped AP (expires march 2012) we were told to get new ones because he is applying for fall 2012. So, without the new EAD/AP, my son doesn't it qualify for a scholarship, its a financial loss on his part too...that's it. I was given two reference numbers.

After I requested the expedite, I checked the online status almost every 3 hours (yes, can't wait for uscis' action). 36 hours after my request, I saw my EAD status as "Card Production". My kids' and my husband's EAD/AP were expedited too. The process works! Should the mail delivery system not fail, I expect to receive the EAD/AP from USCIS at most within the next two weeks. Thanks VISAjourney.com! I learned how to expedite my EAD from this site... truly appreciate the information posted here. I posted my experience to inform the other EAD applicants that the process works. It worked for my family.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi,

I have submitted my request for expedite but I got reply that it was denied as it cannot meet the criteria for special handling.

Please advise what to do now?

I really wanted to work ?

Thanks,

Daman

Fill in your timeline, update your profile.

You've got denied, then you have to wait for regular processing.

You've noticed how old this thead is, haven't you?

Edited by Tygrys

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I want to thank the person who started this thread. It helped me a lot with my EAD expedition process.

My application was recieved on 12th June and I got an RFE within 2 weeks for my birth certificate. I sent the response to RFE the next day itself. The status was changed to RFE response review in a week after I sent the response. For a month I didnt see any progress in my status. No files were touched. I recieved a job offer and I wanted to expedite my EAD process as I didnt want to lose the offer. I approached the congressman with my application of expediting EAD, my offer letter and explaining the importance of the job to me. I sent my application to congressman's office on 4th August and EAD was approved the next day itself.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

--- Officer read a script on how to expedite. I was asked to choose a reason from about 5 that she read.

--- I opted for #1 - financial loss, and # 4 - nonprofit org, impact to US . I explained about the financial loss part ( sole bread winner in the household, 2 kids, unemployed husband) and the impact to US part ( I am a math teacher in a minority school, hard to find a certified high school math teacher who wants to teach in a 90% minority school. If I were absent, about 70 kids would not be learning in one day or several days depending on the arrival of EAD. ). I requested the officer to read to me what she wrote in the remarks. It took a while because I also requested to expedite my younger son's EAD and AP . I chose financial loss for him as the main reason. He is a senior now and is applying for scholarship. The university asked for his legal status. When we presented his EAD(expired jan 3) and stamped AP (expires march 2012) we were told to get new ones because he is applying for fall 2012. So, without the new EAD/AP, my son doesn't it qualify for a scholarship, its a financial loss on his part too...that's it. I was given two reference numbers.

After I requested the expedite, I checked the online status almost every 3 hours (yes, can't wait for uscis' action). 36 hours after my request, I saw my EAD status as "Card Production". My kids' and my husband's EAD/AP were expedited too. The process works! Should the mail delivery system not fail, I expect to receive the EAD/AP from USCIS at most within the next two weeks.

This is encouraging news -- rather phenomenal, actually -- though without dependents my situation is probably not as severe.

I had my Biometrics appointment earlier today, and now I just got off the phone making this request (service officer was one of the nicest I've encountered) based on financial hardship (but my husband is only working part time right now). I realize now that I failed to mention that I have a pending job offer. I thought that the contact I'm supposed to receive in the next 5 days was going to be when I explained in detail (it sounded like the officer on the phone just wanted to know what boxes to check off on her computer).

For those who were contacted on the topic, what were you asked to provide?

(I know this thread was initially started 2 years ago, but given the other recent activity, I wanted to keep it active!)

I'm Canadian, he's American.

07-21-2012: Mailed package (Concurrent filing: I-130 + I-485 incl. I-765 & medical) to Chicago lockbox
07-23-2012: (Day 1) Date of receipt by USCIS
08-01-2012: (Day 10) Electronic notice of receipt rec'd & cheques cashed (Cheque for EAD returned by mail on Aug 3rd)
08-01-2012: (Day 10) NOA1x3 mailed (rec'd 14-August!)
08-03-2012: (Day 12) Biometrics notice I-485 & I-765 mailed, appointment for 17-Aug (rec'd 9-Aug by mail)
08-17-2012: (Day 27) Biometrics app't completed (EAD expedite request made, which was declined)
08-21-2012: (Day 31) RFE #1 for I-485
>two months of dealing with getting the RFE correct<
10-20-2012: Mailed RFE #2
10-23-2012: USCIS case updated with RFE #2
10-26-2012: EAD ordered into production
11-05-2012: EAD card received in First class mail (6 business days after approval)
11-05-2012: Applied for Social Security Card in person
11-06-2012: Received electronic alert that Green Card interview was scheduled
11-10-2012: Received Social Security Card by mail
11-10-2012: Received office notice of interview (for Dec 12th) by mail

12-12-2012: Interview & approval stamp in passport

12-24-2012: Green Card arrived in mail

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Since I guess people still look at this thread, we ended up contacting our congresswoman to ask for help to expedite. This worked great, but I'm not sure if that was just the expedite request or the congressperson helping. Here's the letter we sent:

Dear Representative,

My name is <MY SPOUSE'S NAME>, and I’m contacting you in the hopes that you can help me and my husband from Norway, Jørgen Tjernø, in our immigration case. He has a pending offer for a 4 month paid internship with <COMPANY> in <TOWN>, but is unable to start it because he is awaiting processing of his application for employment authorization by the USCIS. The original start date for his job was <ORIGINAL START DATE, MONTHS AGO> - and he still hasn’t started. This is severely damaging to our shared finances as my temporary work is soon ending, and we hope that you can help us expedite his request for a work permit.

My husband was an exchange student when we met, and we swiftly fell in love. Late May this year we invited all our friends and family to witness our union and we are now happily married! He had been given an internship offer from <COMPANY> which he happily accepted, and started the process to switch to a J-1 visa to get the required work permit. Soon after the wedding, Jørgen was informed that he was not eligible for the visa because he was married to a US citizen. This is when we began the process of applying for permanent residency and employment authorization. We have submitted a request for expedited processing of the work permit due to personal financial loss, but we have yet to hear back from them after 8 days. This is our second request for expedited processing: The first - submitted <ORIGINAL EXPEDITE REQUEST> - was put on hold because they sent an unrelated Request For Evidence on the permanent residency application. In addition, we had been led to believe that we’d hear back on this request by now, and have therefore applied for a lease in <TOWN> beginning the <LEASE START DATE>. Without knowing if we’ll have a source of income, it’s hard to accept the lease we have been offered and pay the deposit they have requested.

Our receipt number for the work authorization application with the USCIS is <RECEIPT NUMBER>, and his alien number is <A#>. <COMPANY> has said that he may begin employment as soon as his work papers are in order. We’ve included the Notice of Action for our I-485, I-765 and the receipt for biometrics, as well as a letter from <COMPANY> confirming that he does indeed have a pending position. We would be eternally grateful if you could aid us in this difficult time!

05/31/2010: Married my beautiful wife :D

06/01/2010: Found out that I am no longer eligible for the J-1 visa I was applying for for my summer internship, because of marriage

07/12/2010: USCIS sent NOA1 (FedEx receipt 07/09/2010)

07/27/2010: Did walk-in biometrics in Fresno, CA (Scheduled appointment was 08/14/2010 in San Marcos, CA)

07/27/2010: Requested expedited processing of I-765 due to financial hardship

07/27/2010: RFE (I-864 instead of I-864EZ) - expedited processing cancelled.

08/09/2010: I-131 delivered to USCIS (according to USPS)

08/13/2010: RFE response NAO received per e-mail. (USPS receipt 08/11/2010)

08/16/2010: Requested expedited processing again.

08/24/2010: Contacted Representative about help. Inquired to USCIS, told us they couldn't ask for any kind of preferred processing, and gave us status update (At the "judicial stage of the process"?)

08/25/2010: Work permit card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.