cohibakid

Update on wife who filed for divorce after receiving green card

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is a very sad situation, I went into this marriage with an open heart and open arms. I also have to kids who are suffering the effects, not even a goodbye to them. After looking through all of our photo alblums I noticed that the pictures stopped exactly one year after the marriage began. She stopped doing family events etc. No more cards on special events.

Call me stupid I just didn't put it together, when you are in love you often over look these things. I now understand that there are schools to train girls on how to do all of this sucessfully. I really appreciate all of the responses. I worked so hard to get her over here only to realize that it was a scam from day one. She did get her permanent green card for a 10 year period. So, I really do not think that there is much I can do.

She is not looking for support, just wants the $30,000 car which I just paid off a week ago, great timing. I became suspicious when she began to rack up all of the credit cards for duplicate items and tons of clothing. Found a card in her wallet one day and found out that she was dating another guy. Her Russian friends were all behind her telling her what to do and how to dump me. They were encouraging her to have fun on her date and look at me as a stepping stone. I translated all of these messages from her phone.

Not sure if I want to contest the divorce, I know it can get ugly, or just walk away from it as a learning experience. Truly she does not belong in this country beacause all of her motives were on false pretenses. This site was so helpful in getting her over here and I am truly sorry to report this heart breaking story, I am only doing it to let people know that it can happen and it hits you right in the heart, a tremendous pain which in time will hopefully heal. Again thank you for all of your support in this difficult time.

I know there is no words that could ever make you feel better right now...just like how i felt when i learned about my cancer. Well anyway, i think we all have gone through some tough times in our lives but eventually we passed through that chapter without even noticing it and we move on (co'z we have no choice). I believe that time will heal all wounds and of course the greater part of the process is to learn how to forgive and accept (which is the most challenging thing to do). Pray and I will pray for you :)

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
an all too common case with these Russian brides.

Are we going to continue with the stereotyping?

Can people please try to help the OP without making generalizations or stereotyping?

Do you want to get the thread locked again? Really! Learn not to bundle everybody on the same bandwagon. And please, lay off the insults too!

No! I do not agree that it is all too common case with "these Russian brides." However, I do agree that some times, people of all nationalities prefer to join their familiar people once they arrive to the USA looking for the support they left behind when they decided to move away from home and everything familiar to start a new life in the USA.

Unfortunately, when our SOs prefer to listen to their "friends" more than to us, we are left at the mercy of the intentions of the familiar group. And if the group thinks that taking advantage of the USC is better than trying to build the best possible life with him/her, then we, USCs, get in trouble.

It is a difficult situation and I wish I had the right answer to avoid it, because soon my SO will be here and I want her not to fall prey of the terrible advice she may get from her "new friends." I am realistic about life, and I am at least trying to prevent the situation by telling her clearly the kind of advice she is going to receive when she gets to the USA. Having a constant open conversation may help, but only time will tell. I hope that I am successful.

To the OP, there is no much you can do now. She already made up her mind. Run fast, and make sure that you do not suffer more than you already have. Take it as a learning experience and move on. If you are open, you will find somebody who will really love you and who will be happy to share her life with you for the rest of your future... even another Russian, if you are still fascinated with these women, as I am :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I find your stereotyping offensive. Please refrain from prejudging and entire culture based on one man's experience.

To the OP - I am sorry that this happened to you. From what you say, you truly entered into this marriage with good faith. I am not sure there is anything you can do now but if she entered on a Cr-1 visa then she will have to remove conditions and prove she entered into this marriage with good faith. This will likely be difficult for her to do.

Good luck.

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

By all means lets support this idiotic line of thinking by continuing to perpetuate the myth that is only russian women who might marry someone for a green card.

If the woman is from vietnam - could never happen

Philippines - nope not there either

Pitcairn islands - not a chance the women there are beyond reproach

Mexico - nada

um Columbia - well the government is corrupt everyone wants to leave any way -

I have a news flash for you sparky wake up a realize that if you took the green card out of the equation this happens all the time in the US, woman marries man for money, to get out of her neighborhood(or your case the trailer park) or environment, to improve her class standing, because it sounds like fun at the time, etc etc etc. Bad marriages happen every day but to say that it is common for Russian women to marry USC to get their green card is salacious.

I would warn you about making these gross generalizations that have their root in xenophobic thinking and racism you are looking for trouble from a whole host of directions.

And finally this to the gentlemen whose russian wife is divorcing him - If this is a true story then I feel terrible for you but it seems you should have seen some of this coming. You may want to consult an immigration attorney because there may be immigration fraud involved (may be hard to prove). It is a learning experience but you may have made some false statements that are feeding into ignorant stereotypes, there are no SCHOOLS that teach this behavior, there are bad people who get worse advice and follow it. The karmic whip is on it was to see you former spouse. I feel terrible for you and your children, but stay positive and realize that this door may be closing but a new one will open up. Perhaps you can meet a nice woman from Columbia because this kind of thing never happens with Columbians.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

sorry this happened but have you not read on here of it happening before, it has many times from both men and women from all groups. Its just new to your mind so of course you see it as being from her area, its not, next time it could be anyone. I read a poem the other day about how each person comes into our lives for one reason or another, some to teach, some to protect etc etc you dont see it but there was a reason for this, its effects both of your lives in the long run.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:guides:

Offensive doesn't BEGIN to describe it. Unbelievable on an INTERNATIONAL immigration support forum also falls short.

Cohibakid,

This really sucks and I feel your pain. The sham of a marriage I lived through was to an American woman, but the pain is the same regardless. I hope that you won't judge all FSU women (or all international women for that matter) from this incident. Through my wife I know and am privy to the inside info on a lot of FSU women and couples. Only one of them is a player. All the rest are the kind of woman we all dream of having.

So hang in there and stay in touch with us. This is after all a support forum.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Sad state of affairs! I would contest any claim that she is entitled to the car or anything else out of the marriage, and if you paid those credit card bills, she should be required to compensate you. Don't be too certain that she scammed you for a green card; consider instead that a year ago, she began being weary of marriage altogether.

Sad state of affairs! I would contest any claim that she is entitled to the car or anything else out of the marriage, and if you paid those credit card bills, she should be required to compensate you. Don't be too certain that she scammed you for a green card; consider instead that a year ago, she began being weary of marriage altogether.

Your usual line of thinking Old Dominion - there are no scammers, right? Just people who grow sadly and quickly apart :wacko:

To the OP - you are probably stuck with any monetary payments made to third parties, and should consider using the car as settlement-in-full of your property division. Not sure about state laws there, but your marriage definitely falls into the short term category. If you wind up contesting anything, judges are usually more lenient than in longer term cases. You should IMMEDIATELY separate your credit, and close all joint accounts. Also, post an alert to your credit reports with all three agencies if you can. You have kids, and need to protect them too. Sorry about your troubles.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am not trying to be mean OR stereotypical but when you are a middle aged gentleman of average looks and have some young enough to be your daughter beauty queen ready to tie the knot it SHOULD throw up some red flags from the get go. Just my honest opinion.

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Racially disparaging remarks are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. If you cannot add anything useful to the discussion, then please refrain from posting.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"My wife received her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce. I thought her intentions were true and that she was really in love with me, but she told me it was just a business relationship for her to get into the US. I feel like I got scammed, is there anything I can do to stop this scammer? "

It was already stated that she's just using him, so it's pretty safe to assume that her intentions from the very start weren't sincere.

I am not trying to be mean OR stereotypical but when you are a middle aged gentleman of average looks and have some young enough to be your daughter beauty queen ready to tie the knot it SHOULD throw up some red flags from the get go. Just my honest opinion.

People of all ages fall in love with each other and it works out just fine, so that is not a valid response and is very stereotypical of you.

To the OP, best of luck trying to get that all sorted out, at least she didn't use the VAWA against you, that could have been very harmful to you as you could've lost custody of your children as well.

Edited by MikeMc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.